Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:40 am 

Hi All,

This is my first time posting here so I'll make it as brief as I can. I am just getting back to hifi from years of nothingness since most of my money got sucked in by gaming PC upgrades after upgrades over the years.

I am new to Rega and personally know no one who owns one. Therefore, I humbly post this question to the more experienced and the not so experienced members of this site.

Background;
I purchased a new Rega Planar 3 TT (2016 version) 5 months ago and have made some modest mods to it.

- New TT-PSU (new one was just announced, no regrets here)
- New Rega reference white belt
- 3mm Funk Firm Achromat platter mat
- New Ceramic Bearing Ball (Si3N4), Grade 5 and re-oiled the bearing well and spindle
- New Groovetracer Universal Counterweight (costs $100 more than a Technoweight but I never warmed up to the idea of pulling out the end stub)
- Swapped Elys 2 to Exact 2 cartridge

The rest of my gear, if it matters, are all tube separates including my phonostage using Siemens CCA, Telefunken EF86 and Gold Lion KT88 tubes, Ice Age Audio copper/copper power cables, V.D.H The first ultimate mk 2 IC , Kimber Kable 8VS speaker wires, Tripplite LC1200 AVR and Axiom M22 v4 speakers (candidate for upgrade).

However, I was wondering if someone here has tried upgrading the subplatter of the new Rega P3 to a Groovetracer reference subplatter. If you have, can you please tell me what difference did it make? Was it worth the cost for upgrade?

For $400 CAD I am balking on this if this isn't worth the upgrade. If it isn't then I would rather upgrade my speakers to something else like a Reference 3a de capo.

I know that there are cheaper subplatter alternatives out there but I am only looking at the GT Reference subplatter. I do not want any regrets later on if I had to buy one.

Thank you.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:03 am 

Can't really comment on the GT in combination with the New Planar 3, however, I did buy one for my RP-3. And similarly bought the white belt, and started with the Elys2 and moved to an Exact.

The GT Ref subplatter is a thing of extremely high quality. How much different did I notice with my Exact? Well, I bought when the CAD was on par with USD. So the price wasn't inflated. I felt it worth it, but, sonically, the difference was very subtle. Speed stability was excellent, and the background was extremely silent. This is dependent on how quiet your phono stage is and the quality of records, IMO. I used a Slee Era Gold. I tried the TTPSU, but felt it made less difference than the GT Sub...

I replaced my counterweight with Kerry Audio Titanium weight and disabled the weight adjustment on the arm. I find it sounds very good this way. The only real diff in the RP-3 and the Planar 3 is a revised tonearm, new plinth material and different bracing, if I recall...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:12 am 

Thank you for your quick response.

I believe that Rega changed the tonearm wiring, counterweight, electronics, subplatter, platter and bearing well as well among other things on the newer version.

The consensus of changing the subplatter on a RP6/RP3 and older versions is widely accepted however, I am not so sure about the newer Regas 2016/2017 if that is still the case there's hardly any online info about it.

I have only been playing new records on my Rega table. I vacuum clean my records. I have a bunch of vintage records as well but I haven't had the time to clean them so I am not spinning them at the moment.

I am currently using a Parks Audio Budgie with Siemens CCA tubes as my phonostage. I've loaded the Rega carts at 62.4k compared to 57.4k (previous Ortofon 2M cartridge on Project TT) and it sounds fantastic.

You are definitely correct about disabling the spring on the tonearm. It made a noticeable difference in sound.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:43 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

therealco wrote:
The only real diff in the RP-3 and the Planar 3 is a revised tonearm, new plinth material and different bracing, if I recall...

Pretty much the whole table was revised. New arm, new plinth, new bracing, double bracing, relocated switch, New sub platter, new platter, new motor, new motor housing, new feet, new bearing housing, new bearing.........

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:31 am 

Upgrade the Axiom m22s first.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:59 am 

Ok. thank you.

I will just get a new set of speakers and defer the subplatter upgrade for now.

Last edited by Bellapig on Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:01 am 

The Groovetracer reference subplatter is the BEST upgrade you can do to your Rega! I modded my Rega P3-24 with one. I also added the Groovetracer acrylic platter, Technoweight, a double pulley, SRM Tech silent base.

They all made improvements, but the best of these upgrades (and simplest to install) was by far the subplatter. It lowers the noise of the table by a big margin. It is a no brainer upgrade.

You can see all of the mods I did to my table in this thread (Username Indydan). The subplatter was the best and easiest of the lot. When you end up buying it, you will regret not having bought it sooner. I did!

https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_f ... 32&t=73056

And a few pics of it on my table:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:25 am 

Thank you.

That looks amazing. :D

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:19 pm 

Why spend money on upgrading your rega?
If you got the deck for nothing, then sure, upgrade.
I used to wonder why my audiophile buddies started with rega, only to move on. I know why now.
IMHO, whip cream on poop

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:32 pm 

Respectfully, the GT ref sub platter is the second best upgrade. A motor isolation system is the best upgrade. Lim or other, just make an incredible improvement.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:36 pm 

scarbpaul12 wrote:
I used to wonder why my audiophile buddies started with rega, only to move on. I know why now.
IMHO, whip cream on poop

Be nice Paul... :lol:
I recently bought an all original Planar 3 and tonite decided to try disabling the Vtf spring.
It does indeed sound much better.
I plan on going with the acrylic platter then move on from there. I think there is a big improvement between the glass platter and acrylic one.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:12 pm 

If you are thinking the acrylic platter upgrade, consider the delrin platter.
I have one on my P5, can't comment on the specific differences between the acrylic and Delrin, but can appreciate the upgrade from glass to Delrin.
YMMV

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:18 pm 

ddanbo wrote:
I have one on my P5, can't comment on the specific differences between the acrylic and Delrin, but can appreciate the upgrade from glass to Delrin.
YMMV

I will go Delrin if i can afford it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:25 pm 

scarbpaul12 wrote:
IMHO, whip cream on poop

That's a loaded question. However, I will try to answer it as best I can.

With every hobby that I picked up along the way, may it be learning to play guitar or building gaming PCs I never started with the most expensive guitar/amp or the most up-to-date CPU/gpu combo that I can find without doing some research and try to place them in practical terms.

As far as Rega is concerned, my understanding is that they make some of the best tonearms in the world and that mods are readily available.

So to put it simply, I would like to advance my knowledge on this hobby. Therefore, why not get my hands dirty and explore the possibilities?

Hence, I posted a rather humble question regarding the GT ref subplatter on a Rega Planar 3 (2016).

If you have some opinion about it then please do share your thoughts. I would like to know what you think of that upgrade.

-- 30 Sep 2017 18:35 --

ddanbo wrote:
YMMV

It's definitely something that I am currently researching as well. However, I placed the subplatter (if necessary) and speaker upgrades ahead of it.

How do you describe the sound of the delrin platter compared to the stock glass? Some say that the mids sounds a little recessed on a delrin platter.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:17 pm 

Hi,

Another angle. Rega dealers don't stress this anymore but in the original Rega literature regarding set-up they strongly suggested getting a wall-mounted TT shelf for their products. This reduces vibrational feed-back and other spurious associated live frequency resonances that can afflict any good arm. Good isolation feet will help but wall mounting a shelf for non-suspended chassis TT's is better.

Cheers,
David Neice