Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:01 pm 

Seriously, I am beyond frustrated. I have made several (more than a dozen) attempts to contact them over the past two weeks... I wanted to get some answers to a few basic questions and get a price quote on their balanced ICs, but no response. I have made several phone calls, all to no avail. I've tried contacting them through various avenues, including Canuck Audio Mart, Audio Circle, and numerous attempts through their own website, all to no avail. And as I said, I've been at this for almost two weeks.

Last week Ken Hotte of TEO Audio saw my post in an AC thread started by Big Red Machines about how fantastic their cables are. He sent me a PM with contact information to one of his business associates. So I called left a message but nothing. Hoping that someone would pick up the phone, I attempted several more calls without leaving a message, but still nothing.

Then last Monday I sent them yet another message through their website asking, "Are you still in the business of selling cables? If so, then please respond to one of my many messages."

Finally I get a response.

"Good Evening John,

Sorry that we somehow missed you.....curious to whom your messages were addressed ....for instance this e-mail hasn't received anything ( and after a couple of incidents like yours I make a point of always checking my Spam which sometimes has a mind of its own...).

So what can we help you with?"

So I respond to his email thinking okay, I'm finally getting somewhere. However four more days have since passed and I still haven't received a response.

I'm beginning to feel like an outcast, unworthy of their attention. I'd really like to try their cables but I don't think I should have to beg and plead with them just so they can take my money.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:26 pm 

There was a company that had a phono stage that aroused my interest, but after refusing to answer a basic electrical query, I moved on. I suggest you do the same.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:06 pm 

That seems strange considering Ken Hotte posts here pretty much daily.

Maybe it is just a weird chain if events that they somehow overlooked your inquiry.

Send Ken a PM here maybe.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:29 pm 

racecars wrote:
That seems strange considering Ken Hotte posts here pretty much daily.

Ken was online here today at 18:51.

Blame it on the Russians.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:15 pm 

They don't sell balanced cables anyway, just rca terminated.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:18 pm 

MOON wrote:

Some contracts are not worth quoting on.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:24 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

yeah, it was a bit of a kerfuffle.

I gave John a contact number to speak with Taras and I had a finger slip, so the area code was off by one digit.

In any case, I went into one of the emails, found one that had the request in it, and answered it in full.

Sometimes things don't work out perfect, and this is one of them.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:30 pm 

MOON wrote:

Actually they do, but they are a lot more than what the average person would pay for a "high end" cable.

-- 28 Sep 2017 16:31 --

Ken,

Are your single ended ICs shielded?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:46 pm 

Wind Chaser wrote:
MOON wrote:

Actually they do, but they are a lot more than what the average person would pay for a "high end" cable.

Ken,

Go to Canada Computers & Electronics if they have stores in BC or have a buddy buy you a pair from Toronto and send them to you. You can buy various lengths, 3', 6' , 12" XLR to RCA, XLR to XLR pre to power amp inter-connect cables. I forget the brand name but they come in an opague blue pack similiar to those used for PC boards or PCI cards re static reduction- and the quality is actually very good.

Ask yourself whether you would really hear a difference compared to these cables you want so badly for some reason. You have not used them yet you have been told how great they are and you must have them.

When you do buy the 1.5 M cables your ordering, compare them with these cables I suggested. Yes, Im sure they will sound better in some ways but is it an incremental difference? Night & Day? No, I'm not a cable doubter but I don't like to just take someone elses opinion as fact. What do they hear, what do you hear? Many many people have bought Bose speakers since the 70's, I just don't git it and attribute their great marketing to their success cause damn, it's not about sound and component design and build quality. Cables are for a niche market that is basically told what to buy re marketing, audio stores reps.. It's not like the buyer takes them home to demo them then pays for them if they like .... wait a minute. Stop the presses. If the retailer wants to sell cables for $100's, prove they are worth the difference they cost. Take the customer cc number, charge it if the "borrower" does not bring the cables back within a week.

Last edited by Musicware4u on Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:03 pm 

Man, you HAVE been more than patient. I would just move on. Imagine if you needed service on a product that needed it. All this work just to get in touch, no way.
I have nothing agsinst basement pop-shops, but they must at least provide for basic communication. This is one great equalizer with businesses large or small.

Last edited by milag on Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:09 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

Wind Chaser wrote:
MOON wrote:

Ken,

Our RCA cables are not shielded, nor the balanced. But our reference and splash cables use a carbon impregnated skin that rejects some RFI and some EMI, mostly RFI.

IME and IMO the world's best audio cables sound like they do, partially due to their not having shielding. It is a notable aspect among the best cables.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:03 pm 

Okay, then I will call Taras tomorrow and place my order for the 1.5M GCs.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:29 pm 

bit of topic but I have to agree on the shielding....best shield is no shield.....or as Yamamura did, open shield...two halves of copper foil which did not meet just overlapped with another cotton insulation between them....

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:45 pm 

libor wrote:
bit of topic but I have to agree on the shielding....best shield is no shield.....or as Yamamura did, open shield...two halves of copper foil which did not meet just overlapped with another cotton insulation between them....

Care to share science behind this theory?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:47 pm 

maybe in another thread....

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next