Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:45 am 

electrafixion wrote:
Thanks for pointing this out. I believe it's just recently that PayPal is allowing users to "default" to their credit card for payment, in the past you had to manually choose it each time, and then you would have to select to have the currency conversion done on your credit card, rather than PayPal do it first.

They actually removed the option completely when paying for eBay goods. That's how I found this work around.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:18 am 

I started using the credit card option when paying for ebay purchases thinking that my credit card would do the currency conversion but I think paypal is still doing it. I have the Rogers card and it clearly identified foreign transactions from my trip to Europe this summer. My ebay purchases are still showing up in Canadian dollars.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:43 am 
Premium User

viiu wrote:
I started using the credit card option when paying for ebay purchases thinking that my credit card would do the currency conversion but I think paypal is still doing it. I have the Rogers card and it clearly identified foreign transactions from my trip to Europe this summer. My ebay purchases are still showing up in Canadian dollars.

eBay now charges credit cards direct, there is no PayPal involvement as PayPal was split as a separate company. Now eBay is trying to make all they can off payments rather than letting that go through PayPal.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:36 pm 

electrafixion wrote:
viiu wrote:

eBay now charges credit cards direct, there is no PayPal involvement as PayPal was split as a separate company. Now eBay is trying to make all they can off payments rather than letting that go through PayPal.

Now I'm confused. I recently bought something through an American vendor on eBay and payed with my credit card via PP. Was there a better way of paying them?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:46 pm 

if you go to the pay window at fleebay you have I think 3 options...paypal or credit card or ebay card I think...so if you use the credit card option you pay directly with that card..no paypal involved....amd that I think may give you the best exchange rate...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:12 pm 

viiu wrote:

Have a look at the post I made on Page 1. There's a way to change the default. When paying on eBay they don't offer the option to change to your credit card provider to do the currency conversion. If you change the default then it'll always use your credit card.

-- 29 Sep 2017 03:16 --

libor wrote:
if you go to the pay window at fleebay you have I think 3 options...paypal or credit card or ebay card I think...so if you use the credit card option you pay directly with that card..no paypal involved....amd that I think may give you the best exchange rate...

I think that method still results in Paypal dealing with the transaction. You don't have to go through Paypal yourself but eBay uses Paypal to handle the transaction. I'm not sure how the currency conversion is dealt with but when I had a look if appeared that Paypal still did the conversion. Can't be certain though. However, if the seller accepts credit cards I think it's processed by the seller directly.