Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:15 pm 

The one that kills me is when brokerage fees are around $100 but the item is only $10.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:02 pm 

I wont buy from anyone using UPS or Fedex..straight up scammer's, I would tell them to stuff their post delivery bill where the sun don't shine.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:09 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

All the shipping companies are terrible over the border including Canada Post (if you get it!) Looks good on the screen until you get the statement.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:30 am 

rustee wrote:
If you are sent something from the US by UPS basic service they will want about 40% of the value for brokerage fees, at least in my experience. Also, for the first time ever Canada Post charged me $16 duty on $20 cassette belts....since when? Hundreds of deals on Ebay with no duty from USPS, then this. How about you guys?

... or was that $6 duty/hst + $10 brokerage fee? I've noticed this kind of low $$ customs processing since oddly enough ... the Fiberals came into power!

Collecting vintage tube Pilot (Pilotone) HiFi gear.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:34 am 

Yes, there now seems to be a $9.95 "processing fee" from customs on every cross border package via the post so customs have obviously gone into revenue generating mode. Clear 20 of those small packages in an hour and you've paid for your day's wages.

Also, random use of duty tax by customs. Purchased a blank armboard and had to pay "machinery" duty on it.

I wouldn't use Fedex or UPS cross border and don't get me started on the Ebay fleecing program.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:34 am 

My experience has been very limited as a result of bad experiences. I recall getting an eighies Luxman 240t tuner sent up to Vancouver from LA about 12 years back. Their 'handling fee' was almost $40.00 - the same cost as that sad tuner that I soon gave away! A few years ago I went to a 'Brown' walk in store to post a cheque (oh, the old days) for payment for an Arcam A85 intergrated. I told the fellow the payment would get to Las Vegas the next day. I paid $35.00 to post the cheque overnight but 'Brown' failed to tell me that, as I was posting on a Friday, it would not get there until Monday - the weekend is not a 'business day' for 'Brown.' Days later I went back and blasted the owner, whom I had worked with, and he just stared at me. I avoid those rippers at all costs.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:28 am 

electrafixion wrote:
Tutone wrote:
FedEx has decided to bill you after the package has been delivered and signed for... so you think you are clear and free... than smack, they send you a bill later saying pay up or debt collectors are after you....
That is as sneaky and deceptive as negative billing..... boycott FedEx use USPS only for the border,,,,, much much more reasonable....

There is hardly news, Fedex has done this for years. If you refuse to the pay the bill they will charge the costs to the shipper. At least Fedex determines the tax and duty correctly in experience, so while it may be unpleasant having to pay, it is the law. UPS on the other hand seems to have a hard time get the charges correct, and they have an extremely high chance of damaging your package vs. Fedex or USPS/Canad Post.

Questionable.
I did not contest it (should have) but paid taxes on a Dyna tuner made in US, at entry to Canada. Fedex are c5ap, avoid.

-- 26 Sep 2017 14:29 --

Tutone wrote:
Good day all, apologies if I missed this one...

FedEx has resorted to back billing for custom/brokerage duties... we all know FedEx is a major ripoff on duties... stealing up to 30% of the value.... since so many people are telling FedEX to shove it, take their package and ship it back.then getting a hold of the shipper and making better arrangements... FedEx has decided to bill you after the package has been delivered and signed for... so you think you are clear and free... than smack, they send you a bill later saying pay up or debt collectors are after you....
That is as sneaky and deceptive as negative billing..... boycott FedEx use USPS only for the border,,,,, much much more reasonable....

+1
Make that up to 50% of the item value. IME.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:21 am 

rustee wrote:
If you are sent something from the US by UPS basic service they will want about 40% of the value for brokerage fees, at least in my experience. Also, for the first time ever Canada Post charged me $16 duty on $20 cassette belts....since when? Hundreds of deals on Ebay with no duty from USPS, then this. How about you guys?

I had this happen once on a small batch of records. Canada Post charged me a $10 fee plus HST on the declared value. Over the last year that was once in about 40 packages via USPS/Canada Post.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:30 am 
Premium User

I recently ordered an audio product made in the US valued at $3300 USD and bill I got from FedEx was $598 CAD (brokerage, duties etc.) The amount was similar to what I have been charged by UPS in the past.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:49 am 

EDIT: redundant post

-- 26 Sep 2017 14:54 --

natedog wrote:
Questionable.
I did not contest it (should have) but paid taxes on a Dyna tuner made in US, at entry to Canada. Fedex are c5ap, avoid.

If all they charged you was a (sales) tax then there would be nothing to contest unless they used the wrong sales tax % in their calculation. Sales tax would be due on anything coming into the country that is valued over $20.

Or did they actually charge you a duty in addition to the taxes. That would be a different story.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:49 am 

UPS brokerage fees are horrendous. Fedex surprises you with a bill a month later after delivery. DHL is a rip-off.

Despite Canada Post being cheapest for customs, they're the only company to lose packages.

Good times!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:38 am 

Fedx has pulled that stunt both on work and personal stuff. Relentless....some real extreme crap. And as noted, this is not new. Been going on for years.
UPS, if the sender uses their premium service, costing more up front, it seems that it floats through to you with no further charges. Sounds like others here have discovered this.
CanPost...generally better, but as noted, most of the charges is the flat fee from customs. Both being 'government', they certainly have teamed up to rake us.

As for Epay, their GSP sucks, but, i have noticed that on higher value items, it can be cheaper in the end as it seems to avoid the post billing of Fedex or UPS at the door rake, for less.
Will find out soon on a pair of speakers if it hold true.
All this is about USA imports.
Germany, Japan, Great Britain... No issues.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:50 am 

IIRC USPS uses FedEx for international packages (and also airport to airport transit within the US) . So if you ship with USPS internationally, its still being handled by FedEx

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:57 am 

EveDoesAudioThings wrote:
IIRC USPS uses FedEx for international packages (and also airport to airport transit within the US) . So if you ship with USPS internationally, its still being handled by FedEx

That was certainly true for the next day service I mentioned earlier, but FedEx handled the entire shipment including delivery. Most of the parcels I ship in from the US using USPS have Canada Post as the broker and delivery agent.