Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:02 am 

Good day all, apologies if I missed this one...

FedEx has resorted to back billing for custom/brokerage duties... we all know FedEx is a major ripoff on duties... stealing up to 30% of the value.... since so many people are telling FedEX to shove it, take their package and ship it back.then getting a hold of the shipper and making better arrangements... FedEx has decided to bill you after the package has been delivered and signed for... so you think you are clear and free... than smack, they send you a bill later saying pay up or debt collectors are after you....
That is as sneaky and deceptive as negative billing..... boycott FedEx use USPS only for the border,,,,, much much more reasonable....

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:14 am 

:?: ....nothing wrong with FedEx... :mrgreen:

Attachments:
giphy (1).gif
giphy (1).gif [ 2 MiB | Viewed 1201 times ]
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:17 am 

I wouldn't use them for different reasons but to be truthful, cross border fees are part of the game when you are buying foreign products. It really doesn't matter which carrier you use. I have been charged by the postal system , UPS, FEDEX .

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:22 am 

Everyone has their issues with somebody. I will never use UPS, for me they are the worst of the blood suckers out there. As a side note a relative of mine use to work for Purolator/ DHL. Employee discount was 70%. Must be a decent markup on shipping.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:23 am 

In fact they arent the same. USPS is less problematic.

And as far UPS goes.... :mrgreen:

Attachments:
giphy (2).gif
giphy (2).gif [ 2 MiB | Viewed 1168 times ]

Last edited by Genetic on Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:24 am 

Always USPS or CBIusa..com. and pick up in person..

Or if I have to FEDEX to CBIusa then pick up..How ever this can add up because I always have to hit my favourite Mexican restaurant :).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:28 am 

Canadiansnowland wrote:
Everyone has their issues with somebody. I will never use UPS, for me they are the worst of the blood suckers out there. As a side note a relative of mine use to work for Purolator/ DHL. Employee discount was 70%. Must be a decent markup on shipping.

Once I was shipping an instrument to the UK. When I gave the buyer the shipping quotes, he fell off his chair reading my email!

Instead, he arranged shipping from his end, and I knocked the cost off the purchase price.

I was quoted $200 by DHL Canada to deliver it to him. He paid CAN$35 to DHL UK to pickup the package from my house and deliver it to him. Guess who picked it up? DHL Canada.

Canadians get hosed for shipping.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:34 am 

Tutone wrote:
FedEx has decided to bill you after the package has been delivered and signed for... so you think you are clear and free... than smack, they send you a bill later saying pay up or debt collectors are after you....

FedEx has been doing this for some time now, I've gotten a few "after the fact" bills in the $75-$100 range a month after receiving an item. Interestingly enough, I paid a small fortune to ship a preamp USPS International Priority (I think that's what they called it) and they used FedEx as the carrier/broker. I got the preamp from AZ the next day and no additional fees were charged.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:56 pm 

UPS is even worse.
It's buyer beware, with the private companies some service levels have brokerage included but most don't.

I always use USPS/Canada Post now and the only thing extra I've had to pay is GST at any service level.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:16 pm 

rnrgagne wrote:
UPS is even worse.
It's buyer beware, with the private companies some service levels have brokerage included but most don't.

I always use USPS/Canada Post now and the only thing extra I've had to pay is GST at any service level.

Not sure if others are aware of this but you can do the brokerage yourself, if it is convenient to do so. When I have had to deal with UPS I tell them I will clear customs myself. In Winnipeg the customs office is two blocks away from the UPS depot. Pick up the papers from UPS, drive them to customs, have them stamped, then back to UPS to pick up the package. About 15 minutes to typically save $80. Usually worth while.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:34 pm 
Premium User

Tutone wrote:
FedEx has decided to bill you after the package has been delivered and signed for... so you think you are clear and free... than smack, they send you a bill later saying pay up or debt collectors are after you....
That is as sneaky and deceptive as negative billing..... boycott FedEx use USPS only for the border,,,,, much much more reasonable....

There is hardly news, Fedex has done this for years. If you refuse to the pay the bill they will charge the costs to the shipper. At least Fedex determines the tax and duty correctly in experience, so while it may be unpleasant having to pay, it is the law. UPS on the other hand seems to have a hard time get the charges correct, and they have an extremely high chance of damaging your package vs. Fedex or USPS/Canad Post.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:58 pm 

If you are sent something from the US by UPS basic service they will want about 40% of the value for brokerage fees, at least in my experience. Also, for the first time ever Canada Post charged me $16 duty on $20 cassette belts....since when? Hundreds of deals on Ebay with no duty from USPS, then this. How about you guys?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:11 pm 

Tutone wrote:

FedEx has resorted to back billing for custom/brokerage duties... we all know FedEx is a major ripoff on duties... stealing up to 30% of the value.... since so many people are telling FedEX to shove it, take their package and ship it back.then getting a hold of the shipper and making better arrangements... FedEx has decided to bill you after the package has been delivered and signed for... so you think you are clear and free... than smack, they send you a bill later saying pay up or debt collectors are after you....

Drama much?
FedEx is arguably the best "expedited shipper there is" and yes you might get additional charges after you got your shipments.
They are focused on moving fast and that's what you pay for but like you say use the "mail".
Boycott FedEx....depends on your needs and world view.

-- 25 Sep 2017 17:11 --

Tutone wrote:

Drama much?
FedEx is arguably the best "expedited shipper there is" and yes you might get additional charges after you got your shipments.
They are focused on moving fast and that's what you pay for but like you say use the "mail".
Boycott FedEx....depends on your needs and world view.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:02 pm 
Premium User

If someone uses UPS or FedEx for shipping from states I don't buy the item. They are ridiculous

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:06 pm 

Do you work for FedEx,,,???, frankly, the brokerage people and custom people are the worst...every thing is pretty much straight tax, which I don't mind paying.. but giving some bozo 30% of the value plus tax after the fact is absolutely ludicrous... I reserve the right to tell them to send the package back... this way they lose labor and fuel costs to get it here, labor and fuel to ship it back, until they stop being thieves....

Just remember before you get your nighties in a knot, I am talking border crossing only..... locally they are fine.... but brokerage fees are a legal cash grab... hopefully they will go the way of negative bidding... or where you fine with that to?