Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:47 pm 

This is most interesting and quite surprising, I took the test listening to speakers, will try it with headphones later.

http://www.npr.org/sections/therecord/2 ... io-quality

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:32 pm 

i took it....got all but the last one. I am sure based on the clips and sample size there was luck involved

having said all that it really is sorta meaningless....i have cd quality rips to flac and wav that sound as good as 24/96 or higher of the same music....

its a rabbit hole of a discussion thats been done ...and done

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:41 pm 

I picked 4 out of 6 without even listening! Must have ears of a bat! :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:43 pm 

5 of 6.
Pretty cool test.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:21 pm 

3 out of 3 so far :) the differences are subtle but I can tell, kinda surprised, well I gt 5 out of 6, had trouble with the Jay Z track.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:11 am 

ADCO wrote:
i took it....got all but the last one. I am sure based on the clips and sample size there was luck involved

having said all that it really is sorta meaningless....i have cd quality rips to flac and wav that sound as good as 24/96 or higher of the same music....

its a rabbit hole of a discussion thats been done ...and done

The subject of the way different resolutions can be heard or not has indeed been discussed at length by the reviewer community. But for me, this is the first time I can easily judge for myself the differences in a live A-B test situation.

Far from a rabbit hole discussion as it also helps to evaluate YOUR ability or not to hear those differences, regardless of the superiority of one type of resolution versus an other. Think about it next time you are being offered to spend money on the next "big" thing such as MQA for example. There is an old saying..." if you can't hear the difference, don't pay for it" :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:57 am 

Poorly instituted test. The WAV file takes longer to load.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:23 am 

The only way I can A B test, is to spend a week on A a week on B then back to A.

Decware SE84UFO2... Chord 2Qute... Omega SAM's... TEO GC Liquid Cables... Audiosector Integrated... Auralic Aries Femto... Sonore Microrendu... Equi-Core 1200 Power Conditioner... MCRU LPS... Audioquest Dragonfly Red... Zavfino1877 power cord.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:52 am 

Taking this test on iPad without headphones I hit 3 WAVs and 3 320s. I guess the moral of the story is that if you use low/mid fi gear don’t expect to hear the difference.

Ironically all 3 versions of JaY Z sounded the same to me :D

Rega RP6 + Dynavector 10x5 > GCPH

Last edited by yrogins on Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:17 am 

This test is fun. Got a score of 1 over 6 when listening through my macbook pro speaker. The files all sounded the same. When I switched later to my computer headphone (sennheiser HD201) I managed a 5 on 6. I could not make any difference between differents compressions of the Jay-Z song. Often the differences between wav and 320 kbps were little. I often found myself focusing on particulars elements (voice, instrument) to manage differentiating them. I might try it tonight with my DAC and Hifiman headphone to see if differences are easier to spot.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:24 am 

yrogins wrote:
Taking this test on iPad without headphones I selected 3 WAVs and 3 320s. I guess the moral of the story is that if you use low/mid fi gear don’t expect to hear the difference.

This is very true. I do have some pretty high resolving audio equipment, but not installed in a treated room. And I do have some pretty good hearing, being also a musician, able to hear differences between guitar manufacturers and piano manufacturer sound signatures. But even then, there are Soooo many variables just considering cabling, amplification, room interaction and more, I got two sound samples wrong during the test....

My take is that a simple audio cable's characteristic and synergy (or lack of) with the audio stream could have more of an influence on the music performance than the differences between, let's say, the top 2 highest resolution samples in the test, so that you could easily mistake one for the other.

Still, it helps put things in perspective on the relative merits and weight of the resolution in the general enjoyment of audio.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:57 am 

yrogins wrote:
Taking this test on iPad without headphones I hit 3 WAVs and 3 320s. I guess the moral of the story is that if you use low/mid fi gear don’t expect to hear the difference.

Same here :lol:
I had to listen to each sample a few times and sometimes a particular part helped me..just nothing in the Jay Z track helped
I listened through my main system, JM Lab speakers, dac, big amp.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:15 am 

milag wrote:
This is most interesting and quite surprising, I took the test listening to speakers, will try it with headphones later.

http://www.npr.org/sections/therecord/2 ... io-quality

I listened with headphones but found it difficult to choose,
Most of the Number 1's were a bit louder than the other 2 making me automatically lean towards that being the best??

My connection conked out so, I was Not going to do the test all over again.
Ott.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:34 pm 

+ 1...

trouble with the Jay Z track.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's easier 128 vs WAW....

DAP: Fiio X1II PSB M4U-1