Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Canada Post COD
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:36 pm 

I just finished my first ever transaction with a gentlemen from Quebec City using Canada Post COD, a pleasant one at that. The seller made the suggestion to use that service because he didnt have a Paypal account and everything turned out very well. The item sale price, shipping and COD fee`s were all included on one invoice and payable upon receipt of the goods.
This is a good alternative to people that do not hold Paypal accounts and much safer than a blind faith EMT transfer.
Has anyone one else used the service and what was the experience like?

https://www.canadapost.ca/web/en/kb/det ... nformation

Post subject: Re: Canada Post COD
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:08 pm 

I ordered something COD (not audio related) and although I could tell by tracking it arrived at the post office I didn't get a delivery notice. I took the tracking paperwork to the post office before they closed Friday night and I noticed what looked like what might be my package sitting on the counter behind them. They knew it was mine when I walked in and pointed to it and brought it over to the counter. I asked them why I never got a delivery notice and they were very confused and said it didn't scan correctly and they didn't know what to do with it. I asked them to phone their superiors and find out what to do and they said they already did and they didn't know either. They even suggested I call them on Monday! I told them they are your bosses, not mine so you deal with them and let me know when you can release my package. I showed them my tracking paperwork and proof of the amount of money they were supposed to collect from me and I offered to pay the money and have them release the package to me and they can sort out their technical problems on Monday themselves. At first the guy didn't want to do that but the lady behind the counter agreed to it and gave my the package in exchange for my money and notes I brought in. I decided I would do COD never ever again.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:14 am 

I used the Canada Post COD option once several years ago as a seller. The process was surprisingly painless and appears to be very safe for both seller and buyer. Should be looked at as an alternative to PayPal.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:33 am 

Bought a pair of Infinity Prelude MTS from a gentleman in Ontario sent COD but it was not by Canada Post. I seem to recall that it was Purolator. Some might argue that it's the same thing. I am always amazed at the reluctance of sellers to the use of COD.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:22 am 

I used it twice and both times it was hassle free...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:47 am 

as a buyer it is very safe. you take all the risk,as a seller you are at the mercy of Canada post. because you get paid at the end of transaction with a money order.
if anything goes wrong . you are at the mercy of Canada post. I did have to wait 2 month for a lost money order.
that is something you have to consider as a seller

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:43 am 

I just try to do my homework including a phone call to the other party and evaluating feedback.
Then it's EMT if at all possible.
I think COD is indicative of a certain lack of trust toward the shipper of the goods.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:51 am 
Premium User

I used Canada Post COD once, and would never recommend it. I shipped a parcel to a guy across the country, and by the time it arrived he changed his mind about the purchase, so he declined to pay and accept it. I received the item back, but was charged for the shipping both ways and plus the COD fees.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:05 am 

let s elaborate on one situation. I pack item very carefully. everything looking good so far. ship cod. package arrive at post office, buyer go to pick up item. he see a packaged in rough shape . decide to refuse package. because he figure the item most be damaged. so far who is loosing. the seller.
insurance only cover if item is lost in transit. not for damage.
second something happen to me this summer. I put out for sale a few item that needed repair. sold them cheap.
one buyer send me cash money . $20 for item,and $25 for shiping. packed it good send to the exact shping adresse he gave me. tracked the item. it got to destination. but stay at post office 2 week??? then sent back. get the notice. go to pick up item. Canada post wanted another $25 for returning item. The buyer made a mistake in is adresse. new policy you have to pay for any returned item.
now coming back to first story. buyer refuse package because boxe is damaged.
What will happen next?
I can see somebody just answered this exact question.
you the seller. take ALL the RISK. NOT Canada post, NOT the buyer. YOU the seller.

[Edited to remove off-topic content--Mod.]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:32 am 
Premium User

Did COD once, inside was a brick...of course I couldn't know that until after I paid and opened it. CanadaPost - which I completely understand - said they cannot guarantee contents, and my money was not returnable to me.

COD and EMT are basically the same thing, buyer is out money with no guarantee of what is inside the box or if the box will show up. One payment is sent by CanadaPost, one online through banks.

Yes I realize that this is hopefully a rare occurrence and many people have had many happy transactions using COD/EMT (I have had many good EMT transactions though I keep them to under $100ish) I personally prefer paying the 3% to paypal.

CAM moderators have spent a great deal of time in the "avoid getting scammed" thread and I thank them for their efforts, they sure have helped me.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:49 am 

I have used COD, bought few items from, ready for this, KIJIJI.

Perfect transactions, no problems at all.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:56 am 

Huge risk, only reserved for hopeless sales.
When the buyer changes his mind
(found something better locally, don't want it anymore, practical joke,
inability to control impulses due to mental sickness, etc),
the seller will be the one stuck with return and will have to pay for return shipping costs,
not to mention at least 2 weeks of wasted time and wasted handling.

Buy locally, stay away from shipping whenever possible. Save gas, save climate, save planet Earth.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:01 am 

I did a bit of research on this when somebody wanted me to COD something to them that I had on Kijiji. There is a scam whereby the buyer pays Canada Post with a bad cheque. It takes a week or two before the bad cheque is known. Buyer has item and disappears. Seller is out his item as well as cost of shipping. There is no advantage I can see for a seller with COD. If the buyer wants the item, he should pay for it by some standard means.