Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Cataloguing albums
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:46 am 

I don't know if this topic has been covered? I have around 3 thousand albums and I would like to catalogue them so when I was in a record store I could easily look the album up to see if I already have it. The more albums we get the harder it is to keep track of them. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Cataloguing albums
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:34 am 

Prepare to invest some time! I started logging my collection, which shamefully is only 1/3rd of yours, a few years back using excel that I kept a copy on a cloud drive. I gave up! Discogs now has an app for both Android and iOS to simplify (sort of) cataloguing. You can enter data manually or scan via a barcode. manual entry can also be done through their website.

https://www.discogs.com/app

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:48 am 

I'll second that Discogs suggestion. It's how I catalogued all my records. I did it via my desktop but when out and about I reference via the phone app

One thing to keep in mind...I found that some of my records were not listed in the database. I added some but haven't had time to add the rest, about 120.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:45 pm 

Discogs as others suggested. Make sure to input in the Discogs search bar the LP catalog number or matrix number to get an accurate version of your LPs, also Discogs allows you to enter album cover condition and physical media condition as well as other notes ,example, price stickers,ink writing,promo copies e.t.c This is useful in case you need to upgrade.
George

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:51 pm 

Thanks sthomas1049 I checked it Discogs and it is exactly what I needed I just wish all my albums had Barcodes. I have done 45 so far and it's going to take awhile thanks again. Doug

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:38 pm 

Glad to be of help. Let me know when you are done cataloguing yours – you’re welcome to come over to my place and catalogue mine….I’ll provide the beverages! :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:54 pm 

All analog recordings will end up digital, eventually... :wink:

Regards
Ohms

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:19 pm 

The one thing I don't like about using Discogs as a collection manager is that it requires you to specify which particular version of an album you own. I'm not interested in this level of detail but it feels wrong to just randomly select the first version listed. Does anybody know a way to add a "generic" version of an album to your collection? (I suspect that this just isn't possible.)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:56 pm 

I use CLZ Music for cataloging. Enter via bar code scan, catalogue number, search by artist/title. Customize your own fields. App available but can also use on desktop & sync to mobile devices. Their customer service is excellent. Try it free for first 100 albums.

https://www.collectorz.com/music

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:59 am 

aleknevicus wrote:
The one thing I don't like about using Discogs as a collection manager is that it requires you to specify which particular version of an album you own. I'm not interested in this level of detail but it feels wrong to just randomly select the first version listed. Does anybody know a way to add a "generic" version of an album to your collection? (I suspect that this just isn't possible.)

Yeah don't think it's possible. You have to select a record. The only way around is to add a generic record to the database and then add it to your collection but if you did that, they'd get deleted and you'd probably get a telling off/kicked off :)

I would compromise and just pick the one that matches the basic details like country of issue, year of release. That way you avoid the multitude of versions that exist even for just one country.

I did read, on another forum, that someone did just that via an excel upload. He entered basic information into his excel spreadsheet and then did a bulk upload into discogs. Forget the details though.

-- 20 Sep 2017 19:05 --

la_order wrote:
I use CLZ Music for cataloging. Enter via bar code scan, catalogue number, search by artist/title. Customize your own fields. App available but can also use on desktop & sync to mobile devices. Their customer service is excellent. Try it free for first 100 albums.

https://www.collectorz.com/music

I've been thinking of moving to CLZ for my cds and books. I use Delicious Library (as it's Mac based and at the time there weren;t many options for Mac users) but it's really lacking and the jump to V3 made things worse. But it was very cheap and easy to use when I bought it. For the price I can't really complain but I want something more robust now.

The problem with these types of cataloguing s/w is that they work on barcodes so you have to manual enter any used records release pre-bar code era. Which is where Discogs comes in handy.

I think you can export from Discogs into some of these programs though.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:07 pm 

wolfman wrote:
I don't know if this topic has been covered? I have around 3 thousand albums and I would like to catalogue them so when I was in a record store I could easily look the album up to see if I already have it. The more albums we get the harder it is to keep track of them. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

I use a database, FileMaker Pro, but then also export to an Excel file that I can access through OneDrive on my phone. That let's me lookup any of the 1,500 albums to see if it is flagged to be replaced or if I already have it.

You can do it in Excel, it's easier if you can create drop down fields for some of the selection items. This is easier to do in a database, but certainly possible with Excel.

The biggest and most important issue is deciding what you want to catalog. There's nothing worse than deciding down the road that you want to create another field for every entry, and then having to go back and do an entry for each and every one. With Excel you would likely use a columnar report, the database lets me have a spiffier layout. This is what I record for each LP.

Artist (Artist is entered as absolute alpha, with The Beatles as Beatles, The)
Title
Label (You need to be consistent, but it's easy to do a search to see if you're using Rhino/Warner Bros. or Warner Bros./Rhino for dual label releases)
Catalogue No.
Recorded (Y or N)
Date
Country (Canada, USA, UK, Germany, France, Holland, EU, Other) Note: With my database Other allows a manual entry, others are from a dropdown menu.
Jacket (SS, M, NM, EX, VG+, VG, G) Note: SS means Still Sealed
Vinyl (NP, M, NM, EX, VG+, VG, G) Note: NP means Never Played
Notes (Any serial numbers, cutout, how it was cutout with hole, notch, etc., colored vinyl, etc.)
Jacket Type (Single, Gatefold, Boxed Set, Other)
LP's (1, 2, 3, Other)
Category (R, C, J/B, F) Note: That represents Rock, Classical, Jazz/Blues, Folk)

I find with these entries I have everything pretty much covered and haven't had to make any changes for a number of years. Recorded was the last one, when I decided to record the albums digitally and wanted to be able to do a sort for the ones not done yet.

Hope this helps! I would never use or trust an online data service to keep my data secure. It's tedious to do the data entry, but in retrospect after looking at each and every one of them, and having to grade them I had a much better idea of what I had.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:35 pm 

aleknevicus wrote:

Answering my own question...

The workaround I discovered was to select an album by catalogue number rather than by artist/title. (The catalogue number is written on the CD's spine.) This will take you to your specific release without having to specify country/format/etc. This is much faster than any other method I've discovered (but it does require having the CD in front of you rather than going by memory).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:23 pm 

What? Eliminate the fun of finding out you already have a better copy then then the one you just laid out cash for? :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:27 pm 
Premium User

aleknevicus wrote:
aleknevicus wrote:

Answering my own question...

The workaround I discovered was to select an album by catalogue number rather than by artist/title. (The catalogue number is written on the CD's spine.) This will take you to your specific release without having to specify country/format/etc. This is much faster than any other method I've discovered (but it does require having the CD in front of you rather than going by memory).

The Discogs Mobile App allows you to scan the bar code, if there is one. Certainly there would be on any CD.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:09 pm 

Many of the earliest CDs from 1983 to 1985 did not have bar codes. There are a number of independent issues that did not use bar codes as well.