Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Lenco L75 owners
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:43 am 

If you haven't already adopted the Lenco spring tweek I highly recommend it. While the idler spring may have been adequate at one time the passing of decades has left it too springy.

I did not do the slung weight tweek I simply replaced the spring with a slightly stronger one and the improvement was obvious and instant.

If you have an L75 explore one of the various techniques to increase the force on the idler wheel and enjoy the improvement.

marc mc

Post subject: Re: Lenco L75 owners
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:02 am 

Good Morning, Marc:

Not trying to detract from the efficacy of your tip/suggestion but there was somewhat of a big discussion regarding the Lenco 'Spring Tweak' on Lenco Heaven. Some indicated that the spring was only there only to get the idler arm in place and back and did not have an effect on the sound while others (like Jean Nantais) believe it does make a difference. Those some believe the idler grommet may have more to do with it than the spring. Looks like you're one of the believers.

Here's the discussion link: http://www.lencoheaven.net/forum/index.php?topic=4680.0

On my Lenco, I have the original spring and the fishing line weight. 8)

Enjoy the music regardless.

Sincerely,
Kingsley.

Post subject: Re: Lenco L75 owners
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:21 am 

It is possible that the effect varies depending upon the use of the original spring. I have 2 Lenco's and have not yet changed the spring on the one downstairs.

The one I use in the garage has seen more miles than the other and the need to make the odd adjustment has been part of its story from day one.

This guy IMO nails the issue and mirrors my experience. It is possible that the spring change has simply brought the one Lenco back to spec due to spring age.

"If the spring pressure is too weak and or too much play at the idler arm post your Lenco may not have much torque, if you can easily stop it (the platter) with your hand, then something is wrong. If the problem is bad enough the platter won't spin at all, the idler wheel won't touch the platter. If the spring engages the wheel but without enough pressure the platter might only spin at the lower speeds (33 and 45) and not have much torque. When the spring tension is high enough the platter becomes hard to stop with your hand, the wheel digs into the motor spindle and will automatically apply more torque to the platter. You can watch the motor dip lower into its springs when pressure is applied to the platter and the wheel digs in."