Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:36 am 

eddiel wrote:
Quadzilla wrote:
"Warm tube-like sound" adds hundreds to the value of a warn-out piece of gear. It isn't that Marantz receivers 'sound' that great, it is that people think that they 'should' sound that great. I have owned a few 22xx receivers, and they sound really boring.

Sansuis of the same vintage are much more detailed and dynamic. I always did well selling those boring Marantz receivers though. Gotta love that "warm tube-like sound" hyperbole ... and everyone knows that a $200 walnut cabinet sleeve makes them sound fantastic! :roll:

Sansuis aren't cheap these days either. They also look beautiful IMO. I still tear up a bit when I visit my friend and see his Sansui that he found on the side of the road. Why him and not me??!!??!! :)

I have two Sansui receivers ... a quadraphonic QRX-7001, and a stereo model 4000 (that replaced a Marantz 2230). Neither Sansui was purchased here on CAM, and the Marantz wasn't sold here either. More and more hobbyists are conceding this site to the gear-flippers and selling their equipment elsewhere. That might be a reason that prices are higher. Remember when there used to be good deals on eBay?

I have always liked the older Luxman gear as well ... up to but NOT INCLUDING the suck-face and Alpine models.

If you can use one of those newfangled Internets, you can post photos in your damn classified ads. :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:39 pm 

buybye88 wrote:
It's not the sound they are buying it's the 'brand' and the blue glow. Saul Marantz must be chuckling in his grave at all this retro mania. Setting aside vintage Marantz tube gear, which was excellent, Marantz receivers from the 70's and onward sound pretty much like any other receiver of that era, such as HK, Rotel, Pioneer, Sansui, you name it. But they look nicer.

Quadzilla wrote:
It isn't that Marantz receivers 'sound' that great, it is that people think that they 'should' sound that great. I have owned a few 22xx receivers, and they sound really boring.

+1

I had a Marantz 2252B for many years and my ears could never figure out what all the fuss was about. Nothing really wrong with the sq but nothing special about it either. The Linn Majik integrated that replaced it kicked it to the curb in no uncertain terms.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:57 pm 

buybye88 wrote:
Hi,

musicare4u wrote: 'Well, every 2200 series Marantz receiver I see listed is at least 35% higher priced than the seller is likely to get.'

It's not the sound they are buying it's the 'brand' and the blue glow. Saul Marantz must be chuckling in his grave at all this retro mania. Setting aside vintage Marantz tube gear, which was excellent, Marantz receivers from the 70's and onward sound pretty much like any other receiver of that era, such as HK, Rotel, Pioneer, Sansui, you name it. But they look nicer. There was always a difference, even in the 60s and 70s, between the companies that were making gear, like receivers, for mass distribution and the small batch audiophile oriented companies, such as Naim, Linn, Tandberg, Ariston, Grace, Audio Note (Japan), Audio Research, Conrad-Johnson, Quad, Spendor, Harbeth, KEF, Rogers, Electrocompaniet, Revox and so on. These are where the vintage audio gems reside.

Cheers,
David Neice

Some of the Marantz receivers sounded good to my ears. The 2275, 2238 and the 1152DC integrated amp in particular. However, my Harman Kardon 930 would compete nicely against any of these amps I listed. It's one of the best sounding receivers ever produced in my opinion. HK was the first out the gate with a receiver as well. Their Citation receiver is also excellent. I agree though that part of the reason why Saul did very well is because of the looks of the receivers and the sound quality. The HK was really only concerned with sound quality, twin powered greatness. Saul was a pioneer and originally released his first component, a pre-amp with eq so that he could improve the sound of his buddy, Andre' Segovia's guitar recordings.

Last edited by Musicware4u on Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:58 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

Having rebuilt about a dozen of the marantz receivers and having handled and repaired double that, I'll say the only reason I'll ever own one is due to them being a form of currency. Not that they are bad, just that the market for them is a bit over the top. It happens.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:56 pm 

ten years ago price in Canada and usa add quite a difference. so when it came close to par Canadian price did have to come down a bit. but lately us price are also going off the charts as well, and now that shiping is getting ridiculous. it is not such a good deal anymore to buy used from the states. so Canadian price will probably stay high even if CAD go up.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:04 pm 

Funny, having been a CAM member for just a few years I have found that really there are two types of buyers. Those that see the glass half empty and those that see the glass half full. It is unfortunate that there seems to be a larger number of glass half empty folks. If you are interested in a piece of equipment research it, buy it. Hifi Shark has complete listings of sold for items that reflect the current market value and yes there will be price conversion. The value of the CAD sucks but it is a reality. If you cannot afford something no one is obligated to feel empathy toward you, roadside finds accepted. The appearance of gear flippers has been covered in another topic and is an unfortunate reality of our times, as is greed, sloth and envy. F.W.I.W., T

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:25 pm 

Well said tsearay.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:19 am 

Marantz receivers from the 70's are often used as props in movies. Can't believe how often they pop up in the background. They are so interesting to look at that even Hollywood has took notice.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:26 am 
Premium User

JGP wrote:
Not really following you.

I don't think folks on Canuck are adjusting prices to reflect the dollar...thats too deep.

My opinion, there are 3 types of seller when it comes to "how they price...
1) Outrageous; Prices are inflated because of the "Barrett Jackson Syndrome - a.k.a.; "I saw it on EBay, Kijiji, or somewhere at X price so that's what it must be worth...

The "Outrageous Seller" is also influences by the "Vintage is cool so it must be worth more" syndrome as well.

2) Realistic; Prices are fair based on reasonable value that is derived by recent sale prices and other factors, including - "it's worth what someone will pay for it" - in other words, "will this price sell it?"

3) Emotion; Prices are like fishing expeditions - value becomes overwhelmed by the owners reluctance to set aside the fact that his personal attachment has nothing to do with it's resale value.

I think you just about nailed it!!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:50 am 

poupon wrote:
Marantz receivers from the 70's are often used as props in movies. Can't believe how often they pop up in the background. They are so interesting to look at that even Hollywood has took notice.

... also TEAC reel to reel machines.

If you can use one of those newfangled Internets, you can post photos in your damn classified ads. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:14 pm 

i agree with the guidelines listed by JGP. I also am happy to get a deal on mint equipment for resale. It seems I have had better success on Kijiji as they think we are cleaning out our garage of audio equipment. I always check the market on the web to see the going trend for the price of an item.
Found a mint set of Camber 1.5's for a song and sold them for a 600% profit. You just have to keep your eyes open. All the best to the CAM members and lets keep honesty and quality with the items we sell. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:22 pm 

deejay49 wrote:
i agree with the guidelines listed by JGP. I also am happy to get a deal on mint equipment for resale. It seems I have had better success on Kijiji as they think we are cleaning out our garage of audio equipment. I always check the market on the web to see the going trend for the price of an item.
Found a mint set of Camber 1.5's for a song and sold them for a 600% profit. You just have to keep your eyes open. All the best to the CAM members and lets keep honesty and quality with the items we sell. :mrgreen:

I guess you think a 500% mark up is honest? :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:37 pm 

Chipmunk1957 wrote:
deejay49 wrote:

Not to pick bones (well maybe a little), but I was in commercial construction sales for many years and there is quite a difference between profit and markup. :D It's explained here for those who may care:

http://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers ... markup.asp

or here:

https://www.accountingcoach.com/blog/gr ... gin-markup

And ethics is a whole other conversation.

Collecting vintage tube Pilot (Pilotone) HiFi gear.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:47 pm 

Tom_r wrote:
Chipmunk1957 wrote:
deejay49 wrote:

Not to pick bones (well maybe a little), but I was in commercial construction sales for many years and there is quite a difference between profit and markup. :D It's explained here for those who may care:

http://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers ... markup.asp

or here:

https://www.accountingcoach.com/blog/gr ... gin-markup

And ethics is a whole other conversation.

Ok Tom so what ARE you saying if your only picking little bones?
I still see it as a 500% markup..

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:17 am 

Chipmunk1957 wrote:

Ok Tom so what ARE you saying if your only picking little bones?
I still see it as a 500% markup..

I brought it up because the OP threw x% profit out there and you responded with y% markup. Those terms get thrown around willy nilly. I wasn't checking the accuracy of the numbers tossed around, but now that you bring it up:

https://www.dinkytown.net/java/ProfitMargin.html

Now everyone can play the home game version.

Collecting vintage tube Pilot (Pilotone) HiFi gear.