Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:54 am 

I personally can care less how much "profit" someone makes selling something, it's not my business to care.

Now, if the price is "jacked" to make a big score - I may be annoyed that, in my opinion, it's been over priced - but, In the end, I just will not buy it...

Pretty simple.

So, go ahead and resell it to me and mark it up 500% from what you paid - I don't care as long as it reasonably priced in comparison to what it should be worth resale.

Point in case, I once found a very expensive speaker (The CN-191 Vitavox Corner Horn). I had no clue what it was, I actually thought it was probably not worth much because it was NOT a Klipschorn. I paid the seller what he wanted and brought it home. At home, I ended up researching it a bit and was flabbergasted with what they were worth. A year later, when I decided to sell it - I made someone very happy. In fact, so happy - he traveled from Virginia to pick it up. It really did not matter what I paid for it, that was not of his concern - nor should it be. All that mattered is we worked out a price that was fair to him and we made the deal.

Real Estate is also a great example. It really does not matter what you bought your house for, whether it was last year or in 1955...Your going to have to pay market value or live in an apartment, parent's basement - whatever.

Don't get the wrong idea here, I do believe that "greedy people" are artificially inflating the market, and that sometimes drives me nuts. I do buy and sell from time to time a fair bit of stuff, other times - nothing. However, my purchases and subsequent sales are for the love of the hobby...to own something, try it, and resell it to try something else. Sometimes I make a buck, others - loose a buck.

Back to the point at issue, prices are not heading downward - in fact, the opposite; however, Canuck is still (in some cases) a place where you can find a good deal, or a good buy. My guess, when our generation looses interest in old stuff the prices will start to drop again, just like cars of the early 1900's - demand is low and price is (as a result) dropped significantly over years gone by.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:47 pm 

did somebody mention Marantz 2238B?? just found this old girl couple hours ago, dirty, tired, not even cleaned yet (still has protective plastic on it)... probably mark it up oh I don't know 600 - 700%

no sense in being greedy!! :P

Attachments:
2238B.jpg
2238B.jpg [ 227.48 KiB | Viewed 177 times ]
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:33 pm 

it is over pricing, that why a lot of stuff is not selling, that's only my opinion, :roll: :shock:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:00 pm 

"The sky is falling!"

No, wait a minute, inflation, interest rates, unemployment, and household debt are rising!

I hope the rich like 40 year old electronics and not that shiny, new, technologically superior, status symbol equipment available now...

Don't get me wrong, I like my precious:

Attachments:
IMG_0603.JPG
IMG_0603.JPG [ 338.16 KiB | Viewed 134 times ]
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:16 pm 

tkbear wrote:
it is over pricing, that why a lot of stuff is not selling, that's only my opinion, :roll: :shock:

Yes a lot of it is overpriced. Also the number of people interested is declining. You'd be hard pressed to find many people under 40 interested in vintage gear other than some of the speakers. Within the next ten years most of this vintage gear will be worthless. Just my thought.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:01 pm 

Earths population is shrinking and they are still producing vintage gear?