Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:34 pm 

With so many of the ads reflecting the lower CDN $ a few years ago...now that the $ has risen by almost 15% one would think that many of the audio ads were boosting their prices horrendously one might expect the pricing to reflect the higher cdn $ even as they list an artificial MSRP..OPPO prices may a;so drop closer to the US pricing for used maybe even the new will reflect today's $.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:02 pm 

Not really following you.

I don't think folks on Canuck are adjusting prices to reflect the dollar...thats too deep.

My opinion, there are 3 types of seller when it comes to "how they price...
1) Outrageous; Prices are inflated because of the "Barrett Jackson Syndrome - a.k.a.; "I saw it on EBay, Kijiji, or somewhere at X price so that's what it must be worth...

The "Outrageous Seller" is also influences by the "Vintage is cool so it must be worth more" syndrome as well.

2) Realistic; Prices are fair based on reasonable value that is derived by recent sale prices and other factors, including - "it's worth what someone will pay for it" - in other words, "will this price sell it?"

3) Emotion; Prices are like fishing expeditions - value becomes overwhelmed by the owners reluctance to set aside the fact that his personal attachment has nothing to do with it's resale value.

BTW, these are probably the most frustrating sellers ;)
I had one this week, the buyer wanted 5k for 4 speakers and two tables worth about 600. His emotional attachment based on weekends polishing them for 30 years, a story of value shared by someone unwilling to buy, the belief that rare meant tangible value, and an original sale price in 1970 became the basis for a emotional price.

US and Canadian dollar may effect dealer prices and hence new resale, but not used resale.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:29 am 

Well, every 2200 series Marantz receiver I see listed is at least 35% higher priced than the seller is likely to get. Certain vintage equipment is sold based on ebay asking prices or who knows. These sellers can afford to sit on the equipment for months before selling. Most of the regular CAM sellers are asking more than their equipment is worth but they are not desperate sellers so the prices remain too high until you eventually see what your after on Craigslist. That has happened to me countless times when I'm in the market for a particular vintage component.

Also, another trend is upgrades. Take a receiver worth $175 maybe and say you replaced all the audio path and power supply caps, cleaned the switches and pots, replaced a few lamps and the price goes to $400.00- nobody's buying so you see those adds listed for months. There are only a handful of pro sellers that actually offer reasonable pricing and great condition components. Too few so most of the CAM visitors or regulars are long gone unfortunately. I wonder if CAM knows their viewership and attendees is way way down. I have original components no mods are upgrades and they sound great. Why replace the ELNA caps in my Harman Kardon 930 if it sounds great and as it should now? I have done that for repairs, channel gone etc.. but just for the sake of getting new caps, no. Switches and pots are cleaned otherwise. Not to mention there's a reason most of the audio techs are long since retired and not just due to their age.

Most of the regular resellers are long gone. The ones you see listing audio now have an abundance of components they are always trying to sell so they don't go away. The few regular CAM visitors left know which sellers I'm referring to. In some cases, Karma is giving those rogue sellers a kick in the ass. However, there are still many great CAM sellers out there you can trust. There are too many willing to buy blindly without a demo so we read about the scam stories in the forums. Stories like someone paid $2G's by EFT to a total stranger without checking out the component first- unbelievable. I guess these are gamblers in general; no diff than a night playing baccarat or Texas hold em. I have noticed that even the brick and mortor retailers on this site, rarely sell vintage audio you don't see elsewhere however many of them offer reasonable pricing and very good condition components with limited warranty.

Last edited by Musicware4u on Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:53 am 

I find that there are prices that are out to lunch a lot of the time on items. But, then again, I don't think it's necessarily indicative of the US / CAD exchange rates. Some of the time people are doing this to fight off complete lowballers... And the prices are actually negotiable to a reasonable degree. And other times there are folk who post items, that are for sale, but not really for sale. Like, I paid $500 for this turntable, and I'll sell it for $450. And you see the ad for a while, when others have come and gone at a more reasonable $250-300.

But, it's not just CAM that I see this practice. I see it on Kijiji and other places as well. And then, of course, there's eBay. I do think that people see eBay prices and think automatically, I have something similar to this, so mine must be worth lots of money! Particularly albums. Where people see a first UK or first US pressing of such and such an album, and their aunt or uncle gave them their "original" copy of the same album, so it must be worth $100!

I will end off by saying that there are tons of great deals on CAM and I truly love the idea of a community specifically geared towards Canadian audio enthusiast. I'm not into a lot of hobbies, but this is probably one of the more active hobby sites I've been a part of and I also collect stamps etc, and don't find the same sort of activity that I see here. Really it is a community, and I find I am looking through posts and classifieds on the daily.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:38 am 

Gasoline for us in the GTA is refined in Sarnia. Does that stop the oil companies from taking advantage of us over the last few weeks ... or decades? :lol:

While we're going down this path, here's a situation I get tired of:

the local CAM regular who you give a deal to for rare vintage tube amp/preamp. They tell you on the phone they are interested for their collection. Then it promptly shows up on here for a much higher price and with the nice set of tubes listed separately. I'm sure regulars know who I'm describing.

Collecting vintage tube Pilot (Pilotone) HiFi gear.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:37 am 

therealco wrote:
I will end off by saying that there are tons of great deals on CAM and I truly love the idea of a community specifically geared towards Canadian audio enthusiast. I'm not into a lot of hobbies, but this is probably one of the more active hobby sites I've been a part of and I also collect stamps etc, and don't find the same sort of activity that I see here. Really it is a community, and I find I am looking through posts and classifieds on the daily.

Copy that.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:42 am 

Hi,

musicare4u wrote: 'Well, every 2200 series Marantz receiver I see listed is at least 35% higher priced than the seller is likely to get.'

It's not the sound they are buying it's the 'brand' and the blue glow. Saul Marantz must be chuckling in his grave at all this retro mania. Setting aside vintage Marantz tube gear, which was excellent, Marantz receivers from the 70's and onward sound pretty much like any other receiver of that era, such as HK, Rotel, Pioneer, Sansui, you name it. But they look nicer. There was always a difference, even in the 60s and 70s, between the companies that were making gear, like receivers, for mass distribution and the small batch audiophile oriented companies, such as Naim, Linn, Tandberg, Ariston, Grace, Audio Note (Japan), Audio Research, Conrad-Johnson, Quad, Spendor, Harbeth, KEF, Rogers, Electrocompaniet, Revox and so on. These are where the vintage audio gems reside.

Cheers,
David Neice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:02 am 

"Warm tube-like sound" adds hundreds to the value of a warn-out piece of gear. It isn't that Marantz receivers 'sound' that great, it is that people think that they 'should' sound that great. I have owned a few 22xx receivers, and they sound really boring.

Sansuis of the same vintage are much more detailed and dynamic. I always did well selling those boring Marantz receivers though. Gotta love that "warm tube-like sound" hyperbole ... and everyone knows that a $200 walnut cabinet sleeve makes them sound fantastic! :roll:

If you can use one of those newfangled Internets, you can post photos in your damn classified ads. :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:13 am 

Most sellers are in the real world, they do well when they think realistically, If I were to buy it, what would I pay for it.... that should be the mantra....
I emailed a gentleman on Audiogon about his system he was selling, everything was way overpriced, I asked him why, he said because in his opinion, that was what the components were worth, when I told him the last 10 sales of each component were far below his asking price, he said he didn't care, so I told him it appeared he really wasn't interested in selling, his components are still for sale.... and will stay that way..

Sell for what you would pay......

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:26 am 

Tutone wrote:
Most sellers are in the real world, they do well when they think realistically, If I were to buy it, what would I pay for it.... that should be the mantra....
I emailed a gentleman on Audiogon about his system he was selling, everything was way overpriced, I asked him why, he said because in his opinion, that was what the components were worth, when I told him the last 10 sales of each component were far below his asking price, he said he didn't care, so I told him it appeared he really wasn't interested in selling, his components are still for sale.... and will stay that way..

Sell for what you would pay......

...but...I always pay too much... :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:30 am 

Tutone wrote:

I really don't understand his reaction. Let's face it, don't we all appreciate unsolicited appraisals from strangers on the Internet?
He just doesn't appreciate when someone is trying to 'help'. :lol:

If you can use one of those newfangled Internets, you can post photos in your damn classified ads. :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:39 am 

Geeze, this is a well-worn road! All the hyperbole about people selling things for too much, nobody on CAM is honest, etc.....guys, put on your big-boy pants and deal with it!

If I see a component I want, I make my offer accordingly. If I feel the vendor wants too much, I move on; I really don't care about his or her motivation. When I price my items for sale I choose the price that I am willing to part with it....if that is too high for some (or many), so be it. Here is an example; I had a well-known (and honest) GTA restorer rebuild my 1550 Marantz. Sixty-eight (68) components were changed. It was not cheap. But it sounds wonderful to me and I am very happy. If it were surplus to my needs I would have been crazy to restore it, then sell it...I would lose my shirt.... If I eventually choose to sell it, I will select my price and let the market decide. Profit is not my motive.

In terms of CAM members, I have bought and sold over 40 transactions. With one exception I have found each and every CAM member respectful, caring and very responsive. So are we talking about 2 or 3 percent of CAM are less than great? That is a WHOLE lot better than the folks on Kijjijji or Craigs....

Bottom line for me is I don't sweat out the stuff I want but cannot afford. I ignore low-ballers on my ads, and quickly ignore the time wasters. I find that if you are buying equipment to keep and enjoy, the decision-making process is a whole lot easier than those that wish to flip and make a profit....I have no use for them. And I also realize the decision to sell an item is MY decision....if the buyer lies to me about wanting this to give to his dying brother, or to make his pregnant wife happy, that is HIS journey, not mine; once I sell it I have to accept the new owner can do whatever he wants with it (reprehensible as it is).

In my opinion the vendor should NOT have the option of changing the asking price to zero once a sale has been made....a sure sign a flipper just bought the item....ban that practice and reduce the number of speculators on this site. Regardless of the rules, don't EVER ask me to do that!

I work at a job 6 days a week. I volunteer at a charity. I am putting two kids through university. The dog needs a walk. I don't have the time to worry too much about people's motivations about buying or selling used stereo equipment. In MY spare time I prefer to listen to (and ENJOY) my music.

Peace.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:07 am 

I prefer to buy used equipment at a price that I can resell it ... within reason. Obviously with time there is depreciation ...

I am willing to pay fair market prices for equipment that is in good condition, especially if it has original box, etc. If it has cosmetic issues, then I will offer less, for sure.

I occasionally see steal, but rarely for pieces I'm looking for.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:41 am 

Tom_r wrote:
Gasoline for us in the GTA is refined in Sarnia. Does that stop the oil companies from taking advantage of us over the last few weeks ... or decades? :lol:

While we're going down this path, here's a situation I get tired of:

the local CAM regular who you give a deal to for rare vintage tube amp/preamp. They tell you on the phone they are interested for their collection. Then it promptly shows up on here for a much higher price and with the nice set of tubes listed separately. I'm sure regulars know who I'm describing.

The imagination runs wild.... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:05 am 

Quadzilla wrote:
"Warm tube-like sound" adds hundreds to the value of a warn-out piece of gear. It isn't that Marantz receivers 'sound' that great, it is that people think that they 'should' sound that great. I have owned a few 22xx receivers, and they sound really boring.

Sansuis of the same vintage are much more detailed and dynamic. I always did well selling those boring Marantz receivers though. Gotta love that "warm tube-like sound" hyperbole ... and everyone knows that a $200 walnut cabinet sleeve makes them sound fantastic! :roll:

Sansuis aren't cheap these days either. They also look beautiful IMO. I still tear up a bit when I visit my friend and see his Sansui that he found on the side of the road. Why him and not me??!!??!! :)