Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Best Headphones
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:59 pm 

I had a pair of Stax back in the day , very detailed but sold them , went over to the Grado side :D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:36 pm 

How do Beyerdynamic and AKG rate in the headphone world? Both are commonly used in pro applications so they must be on to something. I've had Sennheiser and have never been impressed with the "500" series.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:17 pm 

Best earphones=your ears+your money

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:07 pm 

This question needs to be answer by the amount of money one would like to spend. I fine true headphones fall into 5 different categories depending on money spent:

1) $250 and under. What can you say.....basic sound reproduction.
2) $500 and under. There are a few hidden gems in this sector. Sony, HifiMan to name a few.
3) $1000 and under. This is what I call the sweet zone. Some very good HP that offer very good sound reproduction with very good soundstage.
4) $2500 and under. Wow what can you say.....except it would be nice to have this much disposal funds to venture into this sector.....and stay!
5) $3500 and up. I can't comment on this sector. However I heard a few and it is close to perfection!

I would assume that most of us fall into category 2 or 3. Perhaps we should focus our attention in these sectors?

Rega Planar 3 TT/Nagaoka MP-11 Cart/Technics SL-7 TT/Grado Black Cart/NAD C725BEE Receiver/NAD C545BEE CD player/NAD 613 Cass Player/NAD PP2/NAD HP20/Totem Arro Speakers/Technics SL-MC7 CD Changer/Apple Airpods/Sony MDR-1000X/Sony MDR-1A

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:20 pm 

cdnduck wrote:
This question needs to be answer by the amount of money one would like to spend. I fine true headphones fall into 5 different categories depending on money spent:

1) $250 and under. What can you say.....basic sound reproduction.
2) $500 and under. There are a few hidden gems in this sector. Sony, HifiMan to name a few.
3) $1000 and under. This is what I call the sweet zone. Some very good HP that offer very good sound reproduction with very good soundstage.
4) $2500 and under. Wow what can you say.....except it would be nice to have this much disposal funds to venture into this sector.....and stay!
5) $3500 and up. I can't comment on this sector. However I heard a few and it is close to perfection!

I would assume that most of us fall into category 2 or 3. Perhaps we should focus our attention in these sectors?

What happened to $2501.00 to $3499.00?. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:09 pm 

I know I'm in Cat 2, $500 and under. I'm seriously considering the HiFiMan 400 or the Beyerdynamic DT880. So many choices and so many impedances to choose from. I'll likely go for a 32 or 250 OHM set as I have the need for portable & home use. I have the MP301 for a headphone amp but I'm a bit worried about portable use on higher impedance phones.

I suppose life would be boring if there was only 1 or 2 things to choose from. Anything must be better than the old 32 Ohm BOSE on ears I've had for the last 10 years ... :D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:30 pm 

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/battle- ... ed.634201/

Read this for sure.

I've now tried the HiFiMan HE400, Beyer DT770, 880, and 990, AKG K702, Audio Technica 700 and 900 and Sennheiser HD600.

I'm personally and clearly sold the on the HE400 and DT770 as my closed and open choices, but seriously it is all about your musical choice and preference. I like rich mids, bass authority, and detail. I listen primarily to rock post 1990 and electronic music.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:44 pm 

I'm a Grado fanboy. They are as open as you can get without strapping a pair of speakers to your head - wait, that's essentially what they are. They bleed sound like crazy so keep that in mind. Not an office headphone, but a late nigh man cave headphone. Enjoying SR325 at the moment with a Fiio Olympus II dac/amp. Lovely.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:10 pm 

Many years ago as a poor student I went to buy a real Hi-Fi headphones: the Grado sr125. I tried the 125 for the first time and it was barely in my budget. Being already in the showroom I asked (just for the fun of it) to listen to the Rs1. Humm... I returned home with empty hands and the firm intention so save $ to buy the Rs1.... :shock: :( :D

My point is: you realy have to try headphones to take good decisions.

Last edited by Genetic on Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:30 am 

Headphones have to look cool when you are chillin' whit yer homeys, so buy them for the colour ... and you ain't cool unless you call dem 'cans', dawg.

Seriously though, how they fit is just as important as how they sound. Just as room acoustics will change how speakers sound, the shape of your head will affect how headphones sound. A pair that sounds good on one person's head might sound entirely different on yours. The same applies to comfort, and if they aren't comfortable you won't listen to them.

Finally, Stax are the best and anything else should impress the home-boyz ... so just getchaself a pair of Beats, RED ONES.

If you can use one of those newfangled Internets, you can post photos in your damn classified ads. :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:11 am 

I have a very decent journey from the hate of OPPO headphones to the liking of OPPO technology. They surely are the best headphones ever I had with my smartphones.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:12 am 

I am still using Sennheiser HD 430 which I purchased new about 1980. I had an opportunity to compare them to the new Focal Elear and the Utopia. Elear would be similar in overall impression, different, but not better (for my ears). Utopia is an a different league.
HD 595 which I use in the office are comfortable and good enough for that purpose.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:47 am 

mk127176 wrote:
I am still using Sennheiser HD 430 which I purchased new about 1980. I had an opportunity to compare them to the new Focal Elear and the Utopia. Elear would be similar in overall impression, different, but not better (for my ears). Utopia is an a different league. HD 595 which I use in the office are comfortable and good enough for that purpose.

I bought a pair of Sennheiser HD-500 from a guy on eBay because there were a few times that I needed to use a standard headphone jack.
They were horrible ... way too much bloated bass, so I sold them cheap to some DJ wannabe on kijiji. He loved them.

Not long after that I bought a pair of brand-new HD-590 for next-to-nothing from a kid on kijiji who got them as a gift, but REALLY wanted a pair of 'Beats'.
Even though I prefer electrostatic headphones, I thought I could live with them the odd time I would use them.

I really like the 590s. Their sound is well-balanced, much better than the 500s, and they are very comfortable.
I don't use them much, but they are as good a moving magnet headphone as I am likely to want.

If you can use one of those newfangled Internets, you can post photos in your damn classified ads. :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:49 pm 

I agree with Quad that how they fit will vary among different brands and different models. I had a pair of AT50X, everyone said they were great. I cannot wear them more than 1 hour. Ears felts like they were on fire with pain. Switched over to a pair of NAD HP50 since I'm a NAD guy. Wow was the sound good, however what pain! I could not stand even 30 minutes on my ears, but they looked cool.

Fast forward, drifted away from headphones and now back. Read reviews and tried on over 25 pairs of headphones, all in category# 2 before I found the perfect pair....for me. Sony MDR-1A. Beautiful sounding headphones with very nice soundstage, decent to above average bass, but best of all....no pain.

Tried to find a pair like this to travel with, even though the Sony's would work. Currently trying out a pair of Bose Quietcomfort 25. Not bad, not as good as sound from the Sony, but will continue to use them at the airport and on the planes.

I guess the question is keeping trying to find one that works for you! Different people, different ears, different pain threshold!

Rega Planar 3 TT/Nagaoka MP-11 Cart/Technics SL-7 TT/Grado Black Cart/NAD C725BEE Receiver/NAD C545BEE CD player/NAD 613 Cass Player/NAD PP2/NAD HP20/Totem Arro Speakers/Technics SL-MC7 CD Changer/Apple Airpods/Sony MDR-1000X/Sony MDR-1A

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:31 pm 

For travel I tried the Bose when my Senns were being serviced. Too much noise leaking if you even touched the headrest with one side. Thankfully Bose took them back and Senns were repaired in Montreal.
Travel: Senns PXC 450
Work: Senns HD 595
Analog: Senns HD 430 (ca. 1980)

It looks like a pattern...