Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Best Headphones
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:03 am 

The best headphones is IMO owning several pairs. There isn't really a one trick pony for all music genre.

Some days I really appreciate my modified pair of HD800. There are times I'll enjoy a mellow sounding HD650. The Hifiman 400I is quite a remarkable pair of headphones that are not expensive yet provide a rich lush sound with a little more excitement than the HD650.

OP, try auditioning a pair of 400I headphones. I picked up a new pair under $300 from visions a while back. I do prefer them over the HD650. Cheap but they do sound very good. One part of headphone happiness is $$ value to happy eardrums ratio. Not a shrilling HP yet satisfies me in clean jazzy vocals and enough bass to satisfy. Certainly you can always spend more $$ on Cans but you really can consider synergy and look for different amps/dac's to satisfy the working combo. This is an endless pit!!

I'd be more inclined to feed tubes to your HD800s. The HD800s almost has an artificial massive sound stage that is extremely exciting. To some degree fatigue can happen quickly with those headphones.

For my portable cans I do enjoy my Denon MM400 with my Iphone 6+.

At the end of the day the only concern you should have is to provide happiness to your own ears. How one spends their disposable income is their choice :)

A pair of STAX SR-009 Headphone for $5500 CDN is actually quite cheap if you consider other hobbies in the world of disposable income. Everyone's priorities are different.......

I personally get more pleasure in a pair of speakers over using headphones.

My only concern I have in cans is that the high frequency rolls off just enough to NOT trigger my tinnitus. My modified HD800 is just on the cusp of hitting that tolerance.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:20 am 

I agree that fit and comfort have to play a very large part of the decision - not just the way they sound. I really love the way my AKG Q701's sound but the headband hurts my head with 10-15 minutes so they get very little time on my head. I have modded them with a neoprene luggage handle strap thing I had around and that helps. Having said that since I got my HifiMan HE400i's, the rest of the herd have not been seeing much action. Next in line would the AT ATHAD900's. They have a very loose fit with their wing design and sound quite nice also.
No experience with the Oppo's nor the 800's. But if you are running with the 800 crowd you are in higher snack bracket than I am anyway.
Good luck
jp

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:23 am 

'Fit' isn't just about comfort. It can change the sound of the headphones. We have all had headphones that sounded better if we held them tighter against the head. These don't fit right, and they don't sound as good as a result. It is important to have comfort but everyone's head is a different size and shape, so a pair that sounds fantastic on one head might sound crappy on a different one.

If you can use one of those newfangled Internets, you can post photos in your damn classified ads. :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:57 am 

It ultimately comes down to the kind of music you mostly listen to and what kind of reproduction you prefer. Some prefer augmented aspects, bass or treble for example; others prefer an expansive sound-stage with great detail; others a warm reproduction that has an "analogue" sound; others a neutrality that seems to give what the music offers without preferred embellishments.

Like the OP, I have HD800s with an Oppo HA-1 off of a Linn ExaKted system. I prefer a neutral sound without augmentation that provides great detail.

As Wallace Stevens wrote: "I do not know which to prefer, the beauty of inflections or innuendoes; the blackbird whistling, or just after".

I am impressed by the "just after".

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:47 am 

Eldarboy wrote:
It ultimately comes down to the kind of music you mostly listen to and what kind of reproduction you prefer. Some prefer augmented aspects, bass or treble for example; others prefer an expansive sound-stage with great detail; others a warm reproduction that has an "analogue" sound; others a neutrality that seems to give what the music offers without preferred embellishments.

Like the OP, I have HD800s with an Oppo HA-1 off of a Linn ExaKted system. I prefer a neutral sound without augmentation that provides great detail.

As Wallace Stevens wrote: "I do not know which to prefer, the beauty of inflections or innuendoes; the blackbird whistling, or just after".

I am impressed by the "just after".

You've really described sound signature in real world application!!

In my younger years I think I'd appreciate being a bass head headphone user. Now the modified HD800 gives me high detail and clarity with neutral bass. With certain types of jazzy female vocals I really DONT CARE for the HD800. I'd rather use my cheap hifiman 400I or HD650 for more intimate musical enjoyment.

I truly feel there is "NO" on trick pony for headphones. I feel headphone users must either have 1 type of music genre and have 1 headphone. For me I require more selection to pick and choose in my moods of different type of music I listen too.

I have different priorities in disposable income so I'm just pleased with what I have at the moment. HP world is still the cheapest audio experiences for our human ears IMO. Hifi stereo is much more evil IMO :P