Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Best Headphones
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:19 am 

Hi I have acquired the Oppo HD-1 headphone /dac unit. I use them just as a balanced headphone amp.I own the Sennheiser 800S phones .
I was wondering if anyone has compared these phones with the Oppo PM-1 phones in the unit and if so which sound better to you .
Thanks

Post subject: Re: Best Headphones
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:13 am 

Hi...not sure if this will help but I own the HD800 and the Oppo PM-1 running through a Teac UD-501 dac and a Teac HA-501 headphone amplifier. The two phones are very different...theOppos sound quite closed in compared to the Hd 800 ...soundstage is less and less detailed...however the Oppos take less power and are a fun,intimate set of headphones. Switching from the Senns it takes a good half hour of listening before the Oppos come into their own...the instruments find their own placement and the mids are rich and full and you find yourself being immersed in the music and time passes unnoticed.

I have owned dozens of headphones and the Oppos, Hd 800s and my Stax 2701 earspeaker system are the keepers.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:37 am 

Thanks , think I will buy the Oppo PM-1 and keep both pairs.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:03 am 

Best headphones I have heard are the Audeze LCDX and the Hifiman 1000, the Audeze won out and I kept those until recently selling them to a new young audiophile to be....!!!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:33 am 

Focal Utopia.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:20 am 

Beyer Dynamic T1 and Fostex TH900 with dedicated headphone amp

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:39 am 
Premium User

There is only 1 best headphone and that is pretty much any model made by Stax with the companion headphone amp. Anything else is just a pretend contender to that title.

Period.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:19 am 

OBI56 wrote:
There is only 1 best headphone and that is pretty much any model made by Stax with the companion headphone amp. Anything else is just a pretend contender to that title.

Period.

+1

A few years back, Stax headphones might have been seen as 'inconvenient' because they did not plug into a standard headphone jack, and they required a separate electrostatic energizer. That now seems much less of an issue because of the proliferation of headphone models that require a separate headphone amplifier (to work properly) and the absence of headphone jacks on much of today's audio gear.

I tried a pair of Hifiman planar headphones with an ASL stand-alone tube headphone amplifier. That setup sounded very good, but I kept returning to my Stax systems. I have a pair of SR-Lambda Basic with an SRM-1/MK2 energizer, and I do not regret selling the Hifimen (Hifimans just doesn't sound right) and the ASL amp. Even my ancient SR-5 and SRX-III (with SRD-7/SB energizer) are better-sounding headphones.

Stax used to seem very expensive, but given the price of today's dynamic headphones and amplifiers, Stax are a real bargain. As OBI said, "anything else is just a pretend contender".

If you can use one of those newfangled Internets, you can post photos in your damn classified ads. :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:29 pm 

Funny, and I thought OBI56 was one of the brightest people on this site....!!! I will really have to re-evaluate that thought now. oh well, no one is perfect......!!!!...

but hold it.... did you not say Sonny Liston was the best ever, period? Just before Ali kicked his sorry butt....??? STAX was one of the best in some opinions..... but now it is only one of a few extremely good headphones, though some have surpassed it.

Since I respect the "used to be #1 OBI56" and this is totally off subject, but since I have your attention... what is your favorite Pre-amp with power amps...... totally off subject, but I really would like to know.... no sarcasm or offense intended, just OBI56's opinion..

Thank you

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:05 pm 

Tutone wrote:

Funny, and I thought OBI56 was one of the brightest people on this site....!!! I will really have to re-evaluate that thought now. oh well, no one is perfect......!!!!...

How long will you be banned for this.... :lol:

It seems that OBI56 is part of the ''Stax mafia'' as many high profile headphones experts do:

https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/i ... r-ear-open

https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/s ... nt-program

http://www.mjolnir-audio.com/

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:34 pm 

Quadzilla wrote:
OBI56 wrote:

Period.

+1

A few years back, Stax headphones might have been seen as 'inconvenient' because they did not plug into a standard headphone jack, and they required a separate electrostatic energizer. That now seems much less of an issue because of the proliferation of headphone models that require a separate headphone amplifier (to work properly) and the absence of headphone jacks on much of today's audio gear.

I tried a pair of Hifiman planar headphones with an ASL stand-alone tube headphone amplifier. That setup sounded very good, but I kept returning to my Stax systems. I have a pair of SR-Lambda Basic with an SRM-1/MK2 energizer, and I do not regret selling the Hifimen (Hifimans just doesn't sound right) and the ASL amp. Even my ancient SR-5 and SRX-III (with SRD-7/SB energizer) are better-sounding headphones.

Stax used to seem very expensive, but given the price of today's dynamic headphones and amplifiers, Stax are a real bargain. As OBI said, "anything else is just a pretend contender".[/quote
Can you expand a bit on what sounds wrong on the Hifiman phones?
I've only heard the 400i for a few minutes and was impressed. Generally I shop in the $200 area but I'm thinking about one last pair. Interesting question.

Last edited by mahatma1 on Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:00 pm 

OBI56 wrote:

Period.

Obi, have you ever compared any Stax models to the Koss ESP950? I ask because I have the Koss and love them but they are getting old and the time to replace is coming soon.

Last edited by Summer67 on Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:57 pm 

mahatma1 wrote:
Can you expand a bit on what sounds wrong on the Hifiman phones?
I've only heard the 400i for a few minutes and was impressed. Generally I shop in the $200 area but I'm thinking about one last pair. Interesting question.

Rather than risk a reprimand like OBI got, I sent you a private message. Check your PMs.

If you can use one of those newfangled Internets, you can post photos in your damn classified ads. :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:45 am 

Tutone wrote:

but hold it.... did you not say Sonny Liston was the best ever, period? Just before Ali kicked his sorry butt....??? STAX was one of the best in some opinions..... but now it is only one of a few extremely good headphones, though some have surpassed it.

Since I respect the "used to be #1 OBI56" and this is totally off subject, but since I have your attention... what is your favorite Pre-amp with power amps...... totally off subject, but I really would like to know.... no sarcasm or offense intended, just OBI56's opinion..

Thank you

A subjective question with a subjective anwser.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:29 pm 

patate91 wrote:
Tutone wrote:

Thank you

A subjective question with a subjective anwser.

This is the correct answer, period...