Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Spotify and Tidal
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:15 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:39 pm
Posts: 592
Location: West of GTA Boonies, ON, CA
Everest Audio wrote:
I've had TIDAL for a long time now and a while back I had a free premium trial of Spotify. In terms of pure sound quality, TIDAL was easily superior, IMHO. However, I think Spotify is definitely much better for finding new music and just playing random music based on genres, mood, etc. But, for me, the sound quality difference means I only use TIDAL.


+1

TIDAL offers digital audio performance quality that SPOTIFY simply cannot measure up to. If you striving for hi-Rez performance .....The better the system, the greater the audio quality difference.

SPOTIFY offers (arguably) a larger selection of digital music to choose from school may be a larger decision factor fir others .

The former trumps the latter big-time for me.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Spotify and Tidal
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:04 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:03 am
Posts: 204
Location: Hubley, NS, CA
I agree with the above responses. I really like Tidal for sound quality, but will probably end up using it with Roon at some point to get the integrated functionality with my home library.

_________________
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Spotify and Tidal
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:17 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:45 pm
Posts: 787
Location: Rockwood, ON, CA
A nice explanation of what Spotify has done.

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/arti ... c-loudness

_________________
Decware SE84UFO2... Chord 2Qute... Omega SAM's... TEO GC Liquid Cables... Audiosector Integrated... Auralic Aries Femto... Sonore Microrendu... Equi-Core 1200 Power Conditioner... MCRU LPS... Audioquest Dragonfly Red... Zavfino1877 power cord.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Spotify and Tidal
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:13 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:17 am
Posts: 13719
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
milesian wrote:
A nice explanation of what Spotify has done.

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/arti ... c-loudness

This is great news! We might finally see an end to the cursed loudness wars.

_________________
To a hammer, everything looks like a nail


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Spotify and Tidal
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:37 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:55 pm
Posts: 1582
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
ripblade wrote:
milesian wrote:
A nice explanation of what Spotify has done.

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/arti ... c-loudness

This is great news! We might finally see an end to the cursed loudness wars.


Can only hope...but wishful thinking.

Was reading up on a pro-audio review – either about powered monitors or mastering software. Either or it’s irrelevant. Anyways…they mixed down some tracks, saved it to file and then went on to test the sound quality in the guys car. WTF!! If sound engineers are following this kind of trend, I fear the loudness war will never go away.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Spotify and Tidal
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:15 am
Posts: 749
Location: Brantford, ON, CA
sthomas1049 wrote:
ripblade wrote:
milesian wrote:
A nice explanation of what Spotify has done.

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/arti ... c-loudness

This is great news! We might finally see an end to the cursed loudness wars.


Can only hope...but wishful thinking.

Was reading up on a pro-audio review – either about powered monitors or mastering software. Either or it’s irrelevant. Anyways…they mixed down some tracks, saved it to file and then went on to test the sound quality in the guys car. WTF!! If sound engineers are following this kind of trend, I fear the loudness war will never go away.


LMAO, kinda defeats the purpose of having a high fidelity system IMO and IME. This has been common place for some time...so is mixing only on headphones, which eliminates a resemblance of a soundstage. Not trying to hijack the thread but streaming services are great for variety but again audiophiles take a loss in quality. I think we're (audiophiles) going the way of the dodo bird. Strange because equipment is at extremes in both performance and cost. Great to listen to that awesome 1950 recording again? But I digress...

BTW, I have listened to both Spotify and Tidal, while they offer excellent exposure to different music, quality takes a hit. I didn't think Tidal sounded any better than Spotify...and NEITHER sounded as good as my FLAC library.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Spotify and Tidal
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:24 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:17 pm
Posts: 2306
Location: Winnipeg, MB, CA
streaming either suits one or it doesn't.
I stream from multiple sources through much of the day; but it is on a second system that was put together for that purpose. I am looking for the variety there and the space is not one where I would do any critical listening at. I still want decent fidelity but my hardware investment there better matches the source.
My larger investment set up is not for streaming. the ability to do so exists however I don't find I have the want to do so. That is for physical media, much of which I own because of an introduction that has happened through streaming upstairs.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Spotify and Tidal
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:15 am
Posts: 749
Location: Brantford, ON, CA
mpublicover wrote:
streaming either suits one or it doesn't.
I stream from multiple sources through much of the day; but it is on a second system that was put together for that purpose. I am looking for the variety there and the space is not one where I would do any critical listening at. I still want decent fidelity but my hardware investment there better matches the source.
My larger investment set up is not for streaming. the ability to do so exists however I don't find I have the want to do so. That is for physical media, much of which I own because of an introduction that has happened through streaming upstairs.


Okay, similar as myself...but what sounds better to you?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Spotify and Tidal
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:55 pm
Posts: 1582
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
My cat says Napster. But I think it cause of their logo. I don’t argue cause she’ll kick my a$$


Attachments:
Kitty with cans.jpg
Kitty with cans.jpg [ 100.13 KiB | Viewed 228 times ]
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Spotify and Tidal
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:15 am
Posts: 749
Location: Brantford, ON, CA
sthomas1049 wrote:
My cat says Napster. But I think it cause of their logo. I don’t argue cause she’ll kick my a$$


Must have been a pirate to enjoy Napster...Sony cans...should've went with Sony Blu


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Spotify and Tidal
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:17 pm
Posts: 2306
Location: Winnipeg, MB, CA
Energyguy999 wrote:
mpublicover wrote:
streaming either suits one or it doesn't.
I stream from multiple sources through much of the day; but it is on a second system that was put together for that purpose. I am looking for the variety there and the space is not one where I would do any critical listening at. I still want decent fidelity but my hardware investment there better matches the source.
My larger investment set up is not for streaming. the ability to do so exists however I don't find I have the want to do so. That is for physical media, much of which I own because of an introduction that has happened through streaming upstairs.


Okay, similar as myself...but what sounds better to you?

vinyl


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Spotify and Tidal
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:46 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:45 pm
Posts: 787
Location: Rockwood, ON, CA
My 19000 WAV files sound better than either Tidal or Spotify, although at the risk of starting an argument I will say I prefer WAV over FLAC, to my ears there is a difference. On the other hand having access to Tidal and Spotify’s huge catalog of music is a revelation, giving me access to music I would never have been able to purchase as CD’s. I dumped Bell Satellite TV over a year ago, and the money I saved there goes into premium streaming subscriptions. Considering the crap Bell was offering for $25 a month, $30 and change for unlimited music streaming in FLAC and OGG (and MQA) is a steal.

_________________
Decware SE84UFO2... Chord 2Qute... Omega SAM's... TEO GC Liquid Cables... Audiosector Integrated... Auralic Aries Femto... Sonore Microrendu... Equi-Core 1200 Power Conditioner... MCRU LPS... Audioquest Dragonfly Red... Zavfino1877 power cord.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Spotify and Tidal
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:08 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:53 am
Posts: 1
Location: edmonton, AB, CA
I had both tidal and spotify
spotify has a much easier interface and ease of use

Tidal has much better sound and MQA ability

I use a windows 10 box to stream with and by using tidal desktop software, It will unfold the MQA file one fold giving 24-bit/192kHz quality ,as long as the music was mastered that high or higher.

this added feature of mqa has pushed me over the edge and I cancelled my spotify

I really miss spotify for its interface, finding music on tidal (especially masters) is like looking for a small specific item in a kids toy room and gets frustrating fast

searching for music finds the song but does not find the master, I find the master copy by hunting for duplicates


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Spotify and Tidal
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:35 am 
Online

Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:18 pm
Posts: 283
Location: Sooke, BC, CA
MQA is a trojan horse. The best case is that it dies a slow and painful death. The worst case is Sony music controls:

- What you listen to
- What gear you use
- How much you need to pay to listen

Be Smart and Cool, use Linux and Open Source software.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Spotify and Tidal
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:43 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:55 pm
Posts: 1582
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
Audio_Guy wrote:
MQA is a trojan horse. The best case is that it dies a slow and painful death. The worst case is Sony music controls:

- What you listen to
- What gear you use
- How much you need to pay to listen

Be Smart and Cool, use Linux and Open Source software.


Care to explain how Linux and Open Source is any smarter?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: msommers and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group