Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: Spotify and Tidal
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:11 am 

sthomas1049 wrote:
Care to explain how Linux and Open Source is any smarter?

Gladly, this is a big topic, but a quick definition from https://opensource.org/

Quote:
Open source software is software developed by and for the user community

In our case, the users are audiophiles like you and me, and as defined the developers are also audiophiles like you and me. Albeit they are a bit of a nerdy bunch!

Open source has so many other advantages that I would need several hours to do a write up, but briefly it allows audiophiles to define how the gear and software they use should work, not anyone else.

Personally I hope many young people get involved. It pushes the boundaries of HiFi once again, its a little like the 50's when the audiophiles were all actively involved in the technology.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:53 am 

I completely agree with the trojan horse analogy.

Linux is great if you know how to program, or have a good friend who does. Anything that requires royalty is a bad for consumers. It drives costs up for the consumer and the industry.

Why should we pay for music that is decades old? Who benefits?

I tried Tidal for 3 months, it was okay...I did end up paying $5/month when Slacker radio stopped streaming on the Sonos (only in Canada)...still having a hard time with it but no commercials makes it worthwhile.

Most of the music we listen to is decades old and has been released in five different mediums. The money has been paid 5 times over...yet I'm paying 5 a month!

I can accept that when a good LP costs $35 plus tax.

Ideally running Linux and getting everything free would be ideal..but I find Linux a hit and miss and the GUI problematic.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:17 pm 

If it's free, what's the guy who brings it to you going to eat?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:34 pm 

Energyguy999 wrote:
I completely agree with the trojan horse analogy.

Linux is great if you know how to program, or have a good friend who does. Anything that requires royalty is a bad for consumers. It drives costs up for the consumer and the industry.

I tried Tidal for 3 months, it was okay...I did end up paying $5/month when Slacker radio stopped streaming on the Sonos (only in Canada)...still having a hard time with it but no commercials makes it worthwhile.

Most of the music we listen to is decades old and has been released in five different mediums. The money has been paid 5 times over...yet I'm paying 5 a month!

Ideally running Linux and getting everything free would be ideal..but I find Linux a hit and miss and the GUI problematic.

Slacker radio stopped streaming on Sonos? I listen to it daily, am right now. Have had a subscription for 8-9 years.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:46 pm 

[quote="mpublicover"][quote="Energyguy999"]I completely agree with the trojan horse analogy.

Ideally running Linux and getting everything free would be ideal..but I find Linux a hit and miss and the GUI problematic.[/quote]
Slacker radio stopped streaming on Sonos? I listen to it daily, am right now. Have had a subscription for 8-9 years.[/quote]

Stopped being free on Sonos...as for how people get paid? By working for it...playing concerts, selling merchandise and physical media that is superior than streaming services.

Engineers still need to make the recording. Technicians need to setup sound equipment...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:55 pm 

Energyguy999 wrote:
as for how people get paid? By working for it...playing concerts, selling merchandise and physical media that is superior than streaming services.

Engineers still need to make the recording. Technicians need to setup sound equipment...

And what about the people that compile it in a database..... that's work too. Most of the stuff I listen to is so old it's public domain, but I still recognize that the people who make it available for me to stream need to eat, too. Compared to what I paid for my vinyl collection, an ad now and then is peanuts.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:07 pm 

ripblade wrote:

Good question that deserves an answer. But it would be hard to do in a few sentences.

There are many new emerging business models that allow artists, composers, bands and orchestras to profit and find their way without the big record companies. As an example, just check out the LSO's web site:

https://lso.co.uk/

From what I understand the LSO is their own music distributor with a revenue stream from concerts, selling down loads, contributions and partnerships with itunes etc....

Really great orchestra great hidef download and live streaming on the BBC.

I will post more on this later...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:33 pm 

ripblade wrote:
Energyguy999 wrote:
as for how people get paid? By working for it...playing concerts, selling merchandise and physical media that is superior than streaming services.

And what about the people that compile it in a database..... that's work too. Most of the stuff I listen to is so old it's public domain, but I still recognize that the people who make it available for me to stream need to eat, too. Compared to what I paid for my vinyl collection, an ad now and then is peanuts.

I agree with ads providing the music is free.

Where I have issue is say a Led Zeppelin recording from 1971 or anything decades old. The money has been made many times over.

Its similar to our government charging tax on a used car 5 times over, which is robbery IMO. We don't benefit in any way from it, only the fat cats do.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:55 pm 

Energyguy999 wrote:
Where I have issue is say a Led Zeppelin recording from 1971 or anything decades old. The money has been made many times over.

The estates involved still own the copywrite, but like Disney, they can probably extend it ad infinitum because they can afford the lawyers. Not a problem for me thankfully...I've heard enough Zepp in my lifetime already. :)

Audio_Guy wrote:
ripblade wrote:

Good question that deserves an answer. But it would be hard to do in a few sentences.

There are many new emerging business models that allow artists, composers, bands and orchestras to profit and find their way without the big record companies. As an example, just check out the LSO's web site:

https://lso.co.uk/

From what I understand the LSO is their own music distributor with a revenue stream from concerts, selling down loads, contributions and partnerships with itunes etc....

Really great orchestra great hidef download and live streaming on the BBC.

I will post more on this later...
No need to on my behalf....I'm already convinced. The free live streams are tantalizing tidbits...loss leaders intended to draw you in. That's just good business sense.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:44 pm 

ripblade wrote:
No need to on my behalf....I'm already convinced. The free live streams are tantalizing tidbits...loss leaders intended to draw you in. That's just good business sense.

Please check this out this stunning streaming classical music site, you will be glad you did:

http://174.36.206.197:8000/stream

Here is a link to their web site:

http://www.veniceclassicradio.eu/

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:36 am 

Audio_Guy wrote:
sthomas1049 wrote:
Care to explain how Linux and Open Source is any smarter?

Gladly, this is a big topic, but a quick definition from https://opensource.org/

Quote:
Open source software is software developed by and for the user community

In our case, the users are audiophiles like you and me, and as defined the developers are also audiophiles like you and me. Albeit they are a bit of a nerdy bunch!

Open source has so many other advantages that I would need several hours to do a write up, but briefly it allows audiophiles to define how the gear and software they use should work, not anyone else.

Personally I hope many young people get involved. It pushes the boundaries of HiFi once again, its a little like the 50's when the audiophiles were all actively involved in the technology.

Well aware of the Open Source Initiative. But that doesn’t explain why Linux and or Open Source software is any smarter. It does not allow audiophiles or enthusiasts to define how their hardware/software should work for many do not employ the skillsets needed. In a case such as this, one could give suggestions to the developers of an open source community but that does not mean those suggestions will be applied. What contributions have you made toward your Linux OS and or the software used for audio playback? I use open source software for many applications. But I do so only because I am willing to sacrifice features/support for cost. I do not contribute to the development but like many, just take it for what it is.

There is not a single ounce of evidence that dictates open source is better, or smarter than a software suite from a said company that is backed by a development team and a budget.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:27 pm 

sthomas1049 wrote:
Well aware of the Open Source Initiative. But that doesn’t explain why Linux and or Open Source software is any smarter. It does not allow audiophiles or enthusiasts to define how their hardware/software should work for many do not employ the skillsets needed. In a case such as this, one could give suggestions to the developers of an open source community but that does not mean those suggestions will be applied. What contributions have you made toward your Linux OS and or the software used for audio playback? I use open source software for many applications. But I do so only because I am willing to sacrifice features/support for cost. I do not contribute to the development but like many, just take it for what it is.

There is not a single ounce of evidence that dictates open source is better, or smarter than a software suite from a said company that is backed by a development team and a budget.

Sorry to hear your not a fan, I wish it was easy for everyone but its not. But speaking to those who are up for it I will gladly help if I can. I may need to start another tread on this topic.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:46 pm 

Audio_Guy wrote:
sthomas1049 wrote:

Sorry to hear your not a fan, I wish it was easy for everyone but its not. But speaking to those who are up for it I will gladly help if I can. I may need to start another tread on this topic.

Never said I wasn’t a fan, just simply disputing your claim that open source is smarter, which it is not! The smartest solution is the one that works best for the end user.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7