Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: digital tv antenna?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:34 pm 

ripblade wrote:
zon001 wrote:
so from what I read . it is about the same for distance as a regular antenna but since it is digital the reception is better?

Not quite, but when it's good, it's great, but when it's not so good, you turn the TV off and listen to music. With an analogue signal, interference caused lines, snow and ghosting, which would come and go with the weather or whatever was causing the interference. But, you could still watch the programme. With digital, because it's a data stream, interference causes interruptions in the data, so the image at best will become pixelated and drop the audio, at worst it will freeze altogether, rendering the programme unwatchable. You might even see a blue screen from your TV telling you there is no signal, yet it was 100% just a second ago.

It is strange. I'm in downtown Toronto with line of sight to the CN Tower. On a good day I can receive 30 stations including those broadcasting from Grand Island NY. Yet some days, pulling in the CBC is a problem even though the tower is 5kms away, yet Grand Island is no problem. Go figure.

I'm just glad FM is staying analogue, at least for now. I can live with lousy TV reception, but musicus interruptus would drive me nuts.

I get all digital DTV channels inc Canadian and US station with my antenna

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:00 pm 

I use a Channel Master 4221 in my attic in Richmond Hill - pretty easy to set up, it's just hung secure from some rafters after positioning.

The antenna is pointed as best I can, in between the CN Tower and Grand Island NY.

I get about 25 channels regularly, but bad weather can sometimes prevent watching those from NY.

Haven't had cable for at least 10 years...no regrets...

W4S DAC-1/Benchmark DAC-1, Shanling CD-S100/Sony BDP-S3100

Cain & Cain Abbys, Musical Paradise MP-301 v3, Acurus DIA-150, Vandersteen 2 CE Sigs.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:39 pm 

You can also "combine" 2 or more antennas pointed in different direction if needed.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:10 pm 

you can have a look at
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/81-over ... elevision/

Channel master and antennas direct would be my recommendations. Hard to go wrong with one of their models.

I have a DB8 in the attic and get Toronto and buffalo stations, haven't had a cable bill in three years.