Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: digital tv antenna?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:21 pm 

is there any good digital tv antenna out there. there is many indoor and out doors model. witch are good and how far can they pick up sgnal?

Post subject: Re: digital tv antenna?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:35 pm 
Premium User

I've ordered from here and am quite happy.

http://saveandreplay.com

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:17 am 

i have a 8bay antenna works good around 70to 100 miles from kge

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:57 am 

My son uses one, an indoor model that looks like a black computer tablet. He hangs it outside his front door over a sturdy deck chair, south east direction and on a poor day, will get 3 channels. On a good day, he can get 12 or more and all in fantastic quality. His friends are constantly amazed at the quality and the fact that the programs are free. I am sure the brand is a Philips and was purchased at Best Buy for about 80 dollars.
As with any type of antenna, the location and direction that it's pointed makes all the difference in reception. Your results may vary.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:10 am 

zon001 wrote:
is there any good digital tv antenna out there. there is many indoor and out doors model. witch are good and how far can they pick up sgnal?

Yes, I use a Clearsteam Antenna I picked up at Best Buy. The antenna is as you see it in the pic, mounted on a marble base (just happened to have a small slab of marble collecting dust) sits up against my window facing due south. So it's installed indoors, although you can put it outdoors since it comes with a large metal mount. I get about 40 channels like MyTV Buffalo, Justice Network, ABC, NBC, CBS (all USA feed), CTV, CBC, City TV (which has basically two crappy shows I never watch), and other stations. I only ever had basic cable since I watch minimal tv and am on the computer the rest of the time or listening to records etc..

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/ant ... 19740.aspx?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:18 am 

I'm from Montreal and i use this one with success (installed in the attic):

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/ant ... 19740.aspx?

This website is usefool to know what you should get:

http://www.tvfool.com/index.php?option= ... &Itemid=29

It depend a lot in your location. For example, for my case, since im behind a hill, I cant get anything from the us, but everything from canada.

-- 29 Aug 2017 11:27 --

also buying from a store is useful to experiment and see what is working best for you.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:11 am 

I use a cheap amplified Amazon model by 1byone and get all the local channels. In Hawkesbury I think you would need a good roof or pole mounted antennae since all but 1 of the OTA channels are broadcast from 50+ miles away.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:43 am 

so from what I read . it is about the same for distance as a regular antenna but since it is digital the reception is better?
for those in montreal and Ottawa, do you get channel let say from Toronto , or even many usa channel?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:08 am 

yes i get all channel from the us abc cbs nbc fox pbs cw etc.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:31 am 

triathleteman wrote:
I've ordered from here and am quite happy.

http://saveandreplay.com

Thanks! I love stuff like this.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:31 am 

In montreal, depending on your location, you can get most of the channel from the usa. When you are behind the Mount-Royal, which is in the middle of the city, you only get canadian channel.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:42 am 

do you need a rotor,and amplifier. or just fixed . I will plug only one tv

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:46 am 

A tv antenna is a tv antenna. My old VHF/UHF yagi antenna continued to work even after the switch to "digitial". The question should be, does the antenna cover the intended frequencies? Most stations in Canada broadcast on the UHF band, although there are a few that broadcast in VHF high (Channel 7 & higher). FM is between channels 7 & 8, in terms of the frequencies covered.

So, given your location, an external UHF antenna would likely be best. But check out TVFool.com and it will show you what stations you can get. Mounting the antenna on the outside of the house on a pole would work best. A compass (or compass app for your cell phone) will help to point the antenna in the best direction.

You only need a rotor if the stations are in different directions from your house. An amplifier is only need if you run more than 75 to 100 feet of wire. I suggest RG6 quad shield as it cuts down on interference from other sources. RG56 will work, but I tend to go for the best so you won't have issues later. Given our Canadian climate, you may have to change the wire in 10 or 15 years.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:49 am 

zon001 wrote:
so from what I read . it is about the same for distance as a regular antenna but since it is digital the reception is better?

Not quite, but when it's good, it's great, but when it's not so good, you turn the TV off and listen to music. With an analogue signal, interference caused lines, snow and ghosting, which would come and go with the weather or whatever was causing the interference. But, you could still watch the programme. With digital, because it's a data stream, interference causes interruptions in the data, so the image at best will become pixelated and drop the audio, at worst it will freeze altogether, rendering the programme unwatchable. You might even see a blue screen from your TV telling you there is no signal, yet it was 100% just a second ago.

It is strange. I'm in downtown Toronto with line of sight to the CN Tower. On a good day I can receive 30 stations including those broadcasting from Grand Island NY. Yet some days, pulling in the CBC is a problem even though the tower is 5kms away, yet Grand Island is no problem. Go figure.

I'm just glad FM is staying analogue, at least for now. I can live with lousy TV reception, but musicus interruptus would drive me nuts.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:58 pm 

siver made a great recommendation to use tvfool.com to find out how many TV stations you can receive in your location. The web site will also let you know what signal strength you will get from these stations which will determine the use of amplified antennae, direction of signal etc..
I've also had great results making an antenna, there are tons of examples on-line.