Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Downsize living area
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:51 am 

oddio1 wrote:
How do you rip a CD onto hi-res?

You don't.

There is nothing you can do to change a CD's resolution (i.e. 44.1kHz/16 bit). Once ripped, if your DAC supports it, you can upsample on playback to a higher resolution, but that's just digital filtering. You can't add something that isn't there (e.g. more bits or higher frequencies).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:40 am 

The only tip that i can offer is that your storage units, in suite/home, should have doors, this makes them a lot more acceptable and seems to hide them in the decor. I'd look to Ikea. Getting older is definitely a ****, almost all you can do is go with the flow of time.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:17 pm 

Another solution we came up with was to rent another apartment for our other hobbies. It's a 1.5 hr. drive, but it spreads things around and we're never bored at the "cottage".
8)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:40 pm 

Android wrote:
Another solution we came up with was to rent another apartment for our other hobbies. It's a 1.5 hr. drive, but it spreads things around and we're never bored at the "cottage".
8)

we just sold our cottage. So we are really downsizing.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:34 am 

msommers wrote:
Ripping your CDs is a great way to save space.

Sorry to bump this old thread, but I wanted to give another vote for ripping the CDs as a way to save space. I put the digital audio files on a server, and play them on whichever computer or device is nearest.

The my suggestion for what to do with the CDs is:
  • Keep the CD for as long as you are listening to the digital music files you got from it. The physical artifact is a token of your moral right to the digital copy.
  • For albums which come in a standard 1-CD or 2-CD jewel case, pop the cover inserts and booklets out of the jewel case and give away the jewel case. Give away the jewel cases. This step should reduce your storage needs to 1/2-1/4 of what it was.
  • Put the CDs themselves on a 100-CD spindle. Very compact, but protects the CDs. You won't need to leave through them.
  • Put the cover inserts and booklets into a filing box in alphabetical order. I think a box which is 25cm wide and 15cm high (10" x 6") is a great size. You can get two ranks of covers in the 25cm width. 6" is high enough to fit the long dimension of most inserts. The box can be as long as you want, but 30cm (12") is a nice usable size.
  • For albums which come in a gatefold cover, or cardboard sleeve, or a boxed set, there's value in keeping the case. So just put the entire album package in your 25x15 box, also in alphabetical order.
  • Label the boxes, and store them on shelves in a closet, or in your storage cage downstairs.

If you'd like to learn more about why I like this size of box, see the blog post I just wrote: CD storage and the 25cm x 15cm box. I explain in more detail there.

I have a lot of other suggestions about how to RIP CDs well, and how to tag the resulting digital files with good metadata, but that's beyond the scope of "downsize living area". For now, check out that 25cm x 15cm box.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:59 am 

bluesfan2010 wrote:
when I moved, I put my DVD and Blu-ray movies and my CDs into vinyl sleeves, that saved space occupied by the DVD or jewel cases. Bags Unlimited and Amazon helped out with solutions for this. These sleeves save a lot of space compared to the cases, but this is a chore to transfer them. Sorry, I don't have a vinyl solution. https://www.bagsunlimited.com/product/3317/cd-gatefold-sleeve-nbsp-40mil-polyethylene https://www.amazon.ca/Atlantic-74604729-Movie-Sleeves/dp/B002JR2V7C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1501464697&sr=8-1&keywords=atlantic+dvd+sleeves

I did the same with my 500 cds...blown away by how much less storage room/space I required...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:52 am 

excellent ideas

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:24 am 

I had same idea as a previous post placing the CD's in vinyl sleeves rather than the jewel cases. A lot less room and you can still keep it in alphabetical order.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:52 pm 

vibrolux wrote:
We live in a townhouse (less than 1000 sq ft). Fortunately my wife loves music and doesn't mind having media displayed in our living room. But I don't have nearly as much as you do. I suggest unloading some of your LPs, CDs. keep just want you really love (rip the rest). Get some nice shelving.

Attachment:
IMG_0352.jpg

Attachment:
IMG_0355.jpg

-- 30 Jul 2017 00:45 --

OBI56 wrote:
mitcho wrote:
I've ripped the CD's onto hi-res. So I assume I can sell the CD's. Will have to deal with the LP's. Possibly a good storage unit that goes vertical will help.

Started looking at these. The Maple shade units.

http://shop.mapleshadestore.com/

Technically and legally, you are not allowed to sell your riipped CDs. You can give them away, but by ripping them, in legal terms you have made a copy of them which you are not allowed to UNLESS is is for archival purposes amd keep the original. Legally speaking of course....

Yes, the bearded man speaks wisely. Beware of the used CD police. :-)

No Fear. I have started placing the CD's in binders. Will sell or give away the jewel cases.

As far as your LP storage. Is that Ikea Kallax? Expedit? Did you have to secure them to the wall? That really turns me off having to bolt them to the wall.

Has anyone tried the Mapleshade LP storage? I know it's expensive, but I like the idea of very small footprint. You can stack 4 - 6 in height and each one carries 150 LP's.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:00 pm 

Keep the LPs or just send them to me for free disposal.

Sell the CDs to Value village.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:23 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

Until you know the new space, don't think about it too much. The system is fairly small compared to other downsizers we've seen so you should be able to fit it in no matter what. And if the LPs don't fit, we'll buy em!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:02 pm 

JDLH wrote:
msommers wrote:
Ripping your CDs is a great way to save space.

Sorry to bump this old thread, but I wanted to give another vote for ripping the CDs as a way to save space. I put the digital audio files on a server, and play them on whichever computer or device is nearest.

The my suggestion for what to do with the CDs is:
  • Keep the CD for as long as you are listening to the digital music files you got from it. The physical artifact is a token of your moral right to the digital copy.
  • For albums which come in a standard 1-CD or 2-CD jewel case, pop the cover inserts and booklets out of the jewel case and give away the jewel case. Give away the jewel cases. This step should reduce your storage needs to 1/2-1/4 of what it was.
  • Put the CDs themselves on a 100-CD spindle. Very compact, but protects the CDs. You won't need to leave through them.
  • Put the cover inserts and booklets into a filing box in alphabetical order. I think a box which is 25cm wide and 15cm high (10" x 6") is a great size. You can get two ranks of covers in the 25cm width. 6" is high enough to fit the long dimension of most inserts. The box can be as long as you want, but 30cm (12") is a nice usable size.
  • For albums which come in a gatefold cover, or cardboard sleeve, or a boxed set, there's value in keeping the case. So just put the entire album package in your 25x15 box, also in alphabetical order.
  • Label the boxes, and store them on shelves in a closet, or in your storage cage downstairs.

If you'd like to learn more about why I like this size of box, see the blog post I just wrote: CD storage and the 25cm x 15cm box. I explain in more detail there.

I have a lot of other suggestions about how to RIP CDs well, and how to tag the resulting digital files with good metadata, but that's beyond the scope of "downsize living area". For now, check out that 25cm x 15cm box.

This is the bummer about cd's, as much as there is still an effort to make the cover captivating, artistic, titillating, what have you, it doesn't seem to translate.
It's absolutely impractical to remove lp's from their cover and store them, in what would probably be an art portfolio case, but who would?
anyway, I digress...I have had a couple...may be more to come :D

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:40 pm 

I've stored my LPs on Lundia shelving since about 1982. Terrifically strong, solid wood. One unit 30" wide, 7' tall, will store over 1,000 LPs. Lundia offers X-braces to stop racking, but I prefer masonite cut to width, and screwed to the back. Also, I put thin shims under each front corner to tilt the shelves slightly backward. Mine are their cheapest "warehouse storage" shelving, and they make several better-looking versions. i've seen them in libraries and lawyer's offices.

Lundia is hard to find - except if you live in Winnipeg. Google "lundia shelving Winnipeg", you'll find them.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:06 am 

Lutherton wrote:
I've stored my LPs on Lundia shelving since about 1982. Terrifically strong, solid wood. One unit 30" wide, 7' tall, will store over 1,000 LPs. Lundia offers X-braces to stop racking, but I prefer masonite cut to width, and screwed to the back. Also, I put thin shims under each front corner to tilt the shelves slightly backward. Mine are their cheapest "warehouse storage" shelving, and they make several better-looking versions. i've seen them in libraries and lawyer's offices.

Lundia is hard to find - except if you live in Winnipeg. Google "lundia shelving Winnipeg", you'll find them.

I will take a visit down to them. Not a fan of anchoring to the wall.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:42 am 

Personally speaking, don't expect to sell your CD's and vinyl for much. I spent a months trying to sell a good quality selection of both on CAM and through retail outlets. People just weren't interested. Just dump them all and subscribe to Tidal and or Spotify. Between them there's enough listening in flac and vorbis formats to keep you busy for the rest of your life.

PS Looks like Tidal, Spotify, Apple et al have also acquired the ECM catalog. I just counted approximately 140 Keith Jarrett albums on Tidal.

Decware SE84UFO2... Chord 2Qute... Omega SAM's... TEO GC Liquid Cables... Audiosector Integrated... Auralic Aries Femto... Sonore Microrendu... Equi-Core 1200 Power Conditioner... MCRU LPS... Audioquest Dragonfly Red... Zavfino1877 power cord.

Last edited by milesian on Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next