Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:17 am 

I also have about the same amount invested in digital as in analogue now. I have recently bought a separate DAC and server and I am in the process of ripping my cd's (80% done). I love the convenience and the sound is very good. I thought it even equaled vinyl while I was playing strictly digital files lately. Then last night I put on a couple of records and I realized vinyl is still better for me.

I guess I am still an analogue guy but the convenience of digital in having my library at my fingertips is hard to beat. Playing a record isn't all that hard though.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:53 am 

hfisher3380 wrote:
I have been a hardcore vinyl enthusiast for years but over the past half year or so I have tweaked my digital system to the point where it is pretty - extremely - close to my analogue system. Seriously. Completely discless - computer in another room with large hard drive filled with mostly high res music, Exasound network player and DAC hooked up to my system in the listening room. The one caveat of course is the quality of the recording and mastering of the digital files - still way too common to see compressed digital releases even on the high res sites - I assume they are getting a high res master of the "iTunes version". Unacceptable, really. Research needs to be done in order not to pay for lemons.

This has been my experience exactly...the new vinyl sounds terrible...even re-released...unless it's a serious box-set that's had favourable reviews I think I am done.

I dropped $85 on 2 albums...played them once with my wife and we both were disgusted with how bad they sounded. Last week I popped into a used record store and picked up The Northern Pikes - Secrets of the Alibi... wow...sounds awesome.

It really comes down to the mastering and mixing...if you like the way its done...whether digital or vinyl I would suggest format is irrelevant for anything new. :!:

Last edited by Energyguy999 on Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:11 am 

I'm 90% digital now, despite still having 2 turntables st up.

I have a fair amount of electronic music vinyl not available on digital that accounts for the vast majority of the leftover 10%.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:31 am 

Do as many of us have done. Digitize all your vinyl with an ADC that faithfully captures all the good and bad your vinyl setup has to offer and then play it back through a DAC that faithfully decodes all that your ADC captured. This way you get the best of both worlds.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:20 pm 

Made the decision over a decade ago. Invest in a new analog setup or abandon it? Got rid of the vinyl to never be tempted again. Most of them were in rough shape anyhow.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:35 pm 

Digital sucks - long live Vinyl!
LOL

For the third time in 3 decades I'v tied to enjoy digital, it just sucks!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:00 am 

Pneumonic wrote:
Do as many of us have done. Digitize all your vinyl with an ADC that faithfully captures all the good and bad your vinyl setup has to offer and then play it back through a DAC that faithfully decodes all that your ADC captured. This way you get the best of both worlds.

I have found many vinyl rips via the Internet and their sound can be improved over the digital release. The DR database website is a good gauge to give one an idea of what to expect.

Ultimately if the vinyl master sounds better than I would much rather have a digitized copy of that for the convenience. I often wonder if we would be better off if vinyl just would go away! We might end up with better digital masters...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:59 am 

I have always been a vinyl guy. I prefer it for my favorite artists. That benign said, my two other listening sources are a RIPNAS by Small green computer and most recently, Tidal.

While the RipNas beats Tidal for sound quailty ( vinyl in #1 spot), nothing beats Tidal for its Library and convince. Also, with CD on the decline, what will there be left to rip ( new) in the future? When I'm not listening at home, I stream it through my car audio system, via my phone. It provides the music i want where every i want it.

Just amazing value at $20 a month for the CD quality ( not every track) stream.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:22 am 

Pneumonic wrote:

Lol!
Do you really believe a signal that has gone through analog to digital conversion and then back though digital to analog conversion can be the same as the original? Through all that circuitry unaffected? I though you were an objective facts first guy. "Faithfully decoded" that's rich!
Digitalize albums for convenience but don't pretend that it will sound the same.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:09 am 

MENDEL24 wrote:
Pneumonic wrote:

Lol!
Do you really believe a signal that has gone through analog to digital conversion and then back though digital to analog conversion can be the same as the original? Through all that circuitry unaffected? I though you were an objective facts first guy. "Faithfully decoded" that's rich!
Digitalize albums for convenience but don't pretend that it will sound the same.

Brace yourself! :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:54 am 

MENDEL24 wrote:
Pneumonic wrote:

Lol!

Ha!.... You can't say that to someone that in a circuitous way will tell you that all DACs and amps sound the same....not in so many words .... But this is often the message....

Don't you dare challenge the white coats they are beyond reproach !

(Sorry Kerry, couldn't help myself)

Edit:..... Besides , without Erik around here who else do I have to disagree with :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:41 pm 

Energyguy999 wrote:
I often wonder if we would be better off if vinyl just would go away! We might end up with better digital masters...

That's an interesting thought ......

-- March 17th, 2016, 3:46 pm --

MENDEL24 wrote:
Pneumonic wrote:

Lol!

Actually, it is because of my objectivity that I can make my statement above with complete confidence.

Why you ask? The last ADC I used to encode my vinyl had errors in amplitude, frequency response, phase and noise that were far less than what is deemed audible. Objectively, it added nothing audible to the recorded signal. When it comes to playing back these files, the DAC I currently use is lower still when it comes to the same errors. Objectively, it is adding nothing that is audible to the played back signal.

If nothing audible is being added during either of the two processes then what, pray tell, am I hearing?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:09 pm 

Energyguy999 wrote:
I often wonder if we would be better off if vinyl just would go away! We might end up with better digital masters...

Wash your mouth out with soap!. :lol: If they did that I'd have to find a new hobby as this one without Vinyl would suck!. :(

Last edited by KJT1 on Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:10 pm 

First leave the diagnoses to professionals! :wink:

If I was a young person, I would likely be digital all the way. I would be using my phone to post youtube videos. However, if that was the case, I would be complaining about how hard it is to get the hood open on my car, because there is no app for that! :lol:
Being old, I use vinyl and cds. I also know how to put air in a tire, open the hood of my car and how to change the oil. :wink:

In the end, there is no "perfect" answer, only what works for you. If that is digital, then enjoy the music.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:26 pm 

ADCO wrote:

Edit:..... Besides , without Erik around here who else do I have to disagree with :mrgreen:

Haven't been hanging in these parts that much recently - better for my blood pressure :wink:

What happened to Erik, one of my frequent combatants?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next