Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:23 pm 

In my relatively short audio hobby time, I've switched back and fourth numerous times between my fascination with vinyl and the digital sides of my audio system. Recently I came to the conclusion I spend easily 80% of my listening time on the digital side due to lack of sit down time working my vinyl collection. This helped me focus on investing more towards this digital side as I can't afford to develop both sides (digital and vinyl), at least at the same time.

Does this make me a audio newbie/junkie?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:35 pm 
Premium User

It makes you someone living in this decade.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:45 pm 

CherryAudio wrote:
In my relatively short audio hobby time, I've switched back and fourth numerous times between my fascination with vinyl and the digital sides of my audio system. Recently I came to the conclusion I spend easily 80% of my listening time on the digital side due to lack of sit down time working my vinyl collection. This helped me focus on investing more towards this digital side as I can't afford to develop both sides (digital and vinyl), at least at the same time.

Does this make me a audio newbie/junkie?

Try dealing with Reel to Reel, Vinyl, Cassette, CD, HDCD, Bluray, SACD, DVD audio and VHS oh yeah Quad Reel to Reel and Quad Vinyl and even Quad Bluray (Pink Floyd Emmersion sets).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:46 pm 

Neither format is new'bie'...as for the junkie, just see the doctor, they could wright you a prescription for the format you prefer.

I am all digital, and never looked back...

Regards
Ohms

www.leohl.ca

Last edited by AudiOhm on Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:03 pm 

Last edited by dupont62 on Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:05 pm 

It's alright to admit to yourself that maybe you're just too lazy for the vinyl experience...besides, ever try binge listening to just one song with vinyl...it's one hell of a chair master workout.

My solution...I'm a double dipper...meaning I typically own both formats and listen mainly to Cd's from my lazy boy as I browse through the LP liner notes/artwork.

I can live with myself most days...long live convenience.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:07 pm 

I think it makes you a music enthusiast in the modern-era.

I still enjoy vinyl from time-to-time. However, I have not significantly invested in my vinyl collection, nor in any upgrades to the analog front end of my system since going down the DAC/streamer/server route for digital. For better or worse, the convenience and accessibility of a modern digital set-up can't be beat.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:05 pm 

I was a pretty dedicated vinyl listener until recently visitng a guy that had a huge digital collection.
To be honest, I found all the options (streamer, DAC, FLAC, WAV, Apple Lossless) a bit overwhelming.

I must say however that the 24 bit files through his DAC sounded pretty amazing.

Since then, I picked up a DAC, stated ripping CD's, and it was been a lot of fun to do something different with the CD's piled in my cave.

Id have to say that the convenience of digital is the real value for me.
With a cold beer in hand and a mouse in the other, I can flip from song to song for hours.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:19 pm 

I have to admit that I was intrigued by vinyl for about 1 month and just found it a little bit of hassle and a lot of work for my listening needs. I have gone digital and never looked back. I like the fact that there are tube DACs and many other possibilities with digital. I can just turn on my system and listen to music anywhere in my place and don't have to worry about the music stoping after 45 mins as my set up can go on for several hours!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:21 pm 

I have been a hardcore vinyl enthusiast for years but over the past half year or so I have tweaked my digital system to the point where it is pretty - extremely - close to my analogue system. Seriously. Completely discless - computer in another room with large hard drive filled with mostly high res music, Exasound network player and DAC hooked up to my system in the listening room. The one caveat of course is the quality of the recording and mastering of the digital files - still way too common to see compressed digital releases even on the high res sites - I assume they are getting a high res master of the "iTunes version". Unacceptable, really. Research needs to be done in order not to pay for lemons.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:42 pm 

I have about the same $$ invested in both my Vinyl and Digital set up, I listen to my Digital setup more for convinence during Monday to Saturday, I leave Sunday's open for Vinyl playing day.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:04 am 

I'm the same as you. If it wasn't for the amazing leaps in digital in the last decade, I would be all vinyl.

My USB tube DAC controlled by my phone is very close to vinyl in warmth, yet better in many ways.

And I'm lazy. And I jump around albums alot.

I still want to invest in analogue though, and always looking for an upgrade path but it's way more expensive than digital for ROI.

I Considered going all one direction many times, but my wife won't let me. Her and my hipster friends love the vinyl sound way more than I do. It's novel for them.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:25 am 

I went the other way, first developing a digital side after returning to active listening, then back to vinyl a little more than a year ago. I can enjoy both but rarely played digital in the listening room until recently. Where I have both formats I always choose the vinyl first there but the other systems are digital only so the choice is made for me. I haven't spent anything on the digital side though since bringing home a table, nothing left after cart, phono stage upgrades and vinyl purchases

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:03 am 

In an effort to contain my "investment" in this hobby I remain digital only.

I cannot bear to get into researching the best vinyl setup, and starting feeding it records with the spending I have already done on a digital collection. I have bought titles a couple of times over as it is!

I am happy with the sound of my digital setup, and over the moon about the convenience - it can feed multiple systems around the house, some simultaneously, and delivers good quality sound to these ears.

If I was starting out, I would consider streaming (Tidal, Spotify type streaming) but given the 50K+ FLAC files, I am good with what I have for now.

Mark in Burlington

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:31 am 
Premium User

I have 500 Lp's, and I should really cull 20-30% of them.

I recently upgraded my computer HD to 6TB, the convenience and available variety of Digital is immeasurable. The experience of putting a favourite album on the turntable and sitting back is as enjoyable to me as the music itself.

Don't label yourself....you like music and listen to it in a way that works for you. That's all that matters.

M