Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 295 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Just back from Taves...
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:17 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 03, 2006 12:57 pm
Posts: 1403
Location: Collingwood, ON, CA
Just got back, guess I'm first to report in.

Lots of good sounds this year. My favourites...

Blue Circle integrated driving Penaudio Cenya speakers.
Ref 3A speakers sounding really good - the Grand Veenya's driven by Copeland tubes
Focus audio towers driven by the new Focus audio integrated.
Kudos speakers driven by Mimetism electronics (I have to say that since that's what I own).

Curious what others thought?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:25 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat May 23, 2009 1:21 pm
Posts: 839
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
I'll be heading there on Sunday. Do you know if any of the rooms had Maggies?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:26 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:57 pm
Posts: 323
Location: Thornhill, ON, CA
Going there to meet a few friends after work.

First stop will be the Audio Note room!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:39 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:17 pm
Posts: 105
Location: Ottawa, ON, CA
Thanks meiwan
On my way there now.
Will report back .... looking for a sweet single driver full ranger.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:50 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:49 am
Posts: 700
Location: Mississauga, ON
meiwan wrote:
Just got back, guess I'm first to report in.

Lots of good sounds this year. My favourites...

Blue Circle integrated driving Penaudio Cenya speakers.
Ref 3A speakers sounding really good - the Grand Veenya's driven by Copeland tubesFocus audio towers driven by the new Focus audio integrated.
Kudos speakers driven by Mimetism electronics (I have to say that since that's what I own).

Curious what others thought?


Not surprised about this at all. Those were the best speakers I have heard and had.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 03, 2006 12:57 pm
Posts: 1403
Location: Collingwood, ON, CA
Audio excellence has maggies, but they were on static display.

One room had some very cool single driver speakers, but well out of my price range. Can't recall the brand.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:42 pm
Posts: 1448
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
Major dissappointment on my part... spent 4 hours down there today, and came away confused.. :? There seemed much less "focus" within the various rooms... not enough direction on any particular technology. Seemed like just a bunch of systems put together in rooms.
I would have liked it better if some of the rooms had better highlighted WHAT it was they were trying to demo.
Also would have expected more focus on HiRez content on servers, etc.
Agree with meiwan that the BC room with the Penaudio's was refreshing.
Also rather liked the big ProAc's in Ovation Audio's room... that one might get my best of show sound vote.
Angie had good sound with the Audia FLIGHT gear and Vienna Acoustics The KISS.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:21 pm
Posts: 1121
Location: Burlington, ON, CA
I came away rather disappointed as well. Most of the systems sounded rather shouty and harsh to my ears this year.

I really liked the Blue Circle Room - that new integrated and PenAudio speakers made for a very nice and affordable system.

Went to hear some of the Zu speakers and the distributor simply had a single pair of Omens on display (not even hooked up) and that was it.

I did like the Tricell room that featured Chario speakers and Acoustic Arts electronics but to be honest, they were being drowned out by the sound blaring in from other neighbouring rooms.

I also liked the Kudos Super 10s but the room posed a real challenge to the distributor since the volume level had to be kept at below 50 otherwise the speakers started to boom. He wouldn't even play the X2s since they boomed like crazy in there.

A number of rooms were having Network issues and so at times had zero music playing while everyone was desperately trying to get their servers back up and running.

Overall, it was a letdown. If I was buying today, it would have been that modest Blue Circle setup. By the way, Gilbert was a pleasure to talk to. I came away very impressed with his down to earth persona.

Note to TAVES - what's up with NO DEBIT at the ticket sales booth???? What a PITA it was to leave and hunt for a bank machine. CAM members need to know that admission is by cash only.

-- 28 Sep 2012 22:19 --

meiwan wrote:
Audio excellence has maggies, but they were on static display.

One room had some very cool single driver speakers, but well out of my price range. Can't recall the brand.


Think that was the Bluberry Hill Audio Room.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:07 pm
Posts: 4498
Location: Welland, ON, CA
prouddaddy wrote:
I came away rather disappointed as well. Most of the systems sounded rather shouty and harsh to my ears this year.

I really liked the Blue Circle Room - that new integrated and PenAudio speakers made for a very nice and affordable system.

Went to hear some of the Zu speakers and the distributor simply had a single pair of Omens on display (not even hooked up) and that was it.

I did like the Tricell room that featured Chario speakers and Acoustic Arts electronics but to be honest, they were being drowned out by the sound blaring in from other neighbouring rooms.

I also liked the Kudos Super 10s but the room posed a real challenge to the distributor since the volume level had to be kept at below 50 otherwise the speakers started to boom. He wouldn't even play the X2s since they boomed like crazy in there.

A number of rooms were having Network issues and so at times had zero music playing while everyone was desperately trying to get their servers back up and running.


Note to TAVES - what's up with NO DEBIT at the ticket sales booth???? What a PITA it was to leave and hunt for a bank machine. CAM members need to know that admission is by cash only.



It seems to take the majority of the exhibitors at these audio shows the better part of two days to be able to get their systems sounding even half way decent in that type of environment. That is a big part of the reason why I won't be attending until Sunday. By then a lot of the exhibitors have finally got their systems dialed in, at least somewhat.

As far as only cash being accepted at the door that is why I pre-purchased my tickets online before hand from the Taves website and saved five bucks per ticket to boot.

_________________
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that they're not out to get you.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:14 am
Posts: 1099
Location: Stoney Creek, ON, CA
good sound wrote:
prouddaddy wrote:
I came away rather disappointed as well. Most of the systems sounded rather shouty and harsh to my ears this year.

I really liked the Blue Circle Room - that new integrated and PenAudio speakers made for a very nice and affordable system.

Went to hear some of the Zu speakers and the distributor simply had a single pair of Omens on display (not even hooked up) and that was it.

I did like the Tricell room that featured Chario speakers and Acoustic Arts electronics but to be honest, they were being drowned out by the sound blaring in from other neighbouring rooms.

I also liked the Kudos Super 10s but the room posed a real challenge to the distributor since the volume level had to be kept at below 50 otherwise the speakers started to boom. He wouldn't even play the X2s since they boomed like crazy in there.

A number of rooms were having Network issues and so at times had zero music playing while everyone was desperately trying to get their servers back up and running.


Note to TAVES - what's up with NO DEBIT at the ticket sales booth???? What a PITA it was to leave and hunt for a bank machine. CAM members need to know that admission is by cash only.



It seems to take the majority of the exhibitors at these audio shows the better part of two days to be able to get their systems sounding even half way decent in that type of environment. That is a big part of the reason why I won't be attending until Sunday. By then a lot of the exhibitors have finally got their systems dialed in, at least somewhat.

As far as only cash being accepted at the door that is why I pre-purchased my tickets online before hand from the Taves website and saved five bucks per ticket to boot.


Jim Smith speaks great lengths about getting the sound right for shows in his book Get better Sound. He goes to great lengths to"work the room" to achieve the best sound and has won best sounding room many times as a result.

I can only imagine how harsh and brittle the equipment would sound as it has not had time to settle. I am looking forward to going Sunday as well.

_________________
"Adjust BIAS so that both meters indicate equal
signal levels.
If the upper meter shows a higher level than the
lower meter, turn BIAS clockwise.
If the lower meter shows a higher level than the
upper meter, turn BIAS counterclockwise"


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:03 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:00 am
Posts: 1441
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
.......For 2 hours it just wasn't doing it for me,until I walked into the Cabasse room to murmurs of ...' gee' it sounds like they are right here in the room' ....the Pacific 3SA speakers driven by a complete CD based Esoteric front end was up there with some of the best sounds Ive heard at recent shows (including CES).....shared a few words with Robert Deutsch who was clearly enjoying his time in this room......ECM artists Anouar Brahem and Tord Gustavsen were providing the entertainment.

The Macintosh room was,as expected,a feast for the ears and eyes....found it hard to let the seat go.

....An amazing little system in the Toronto Home of Audiophile room gets my nod as best budget system of those I had an opportunity to hear.The new Gershman IDOL 2 way towers driven the latest Cambridge CDP and Integrated was highly detailed,smooth and involving.

...If you have a chance to talk to Joe Skubinski(president and desighner) of JPS Labs cables you won't be dissappointed.....an engaging,brilliant and humorous guy,he will tell you everthing you ever wanted to know about cabling....in the Audioscape room.


Last edited by dupont62 on Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2005 5:31 am
Posts: 1899
Location: Freelton, ON, CA
the tricel room with the cronos table was a good room. the blueberry audio was excellent as well. i also had the pleasure of meeting Mr. A! a real gentleman and a wealth of knowledge.
i also had the pleasure of meeting a few faces from the past, which was always a pleasure. one being matt brazeau. he has designed some nice new equipment, an amp and pre, in collaboration with a couple of original designers from sonic frontiers. very nice clean, fast sound.
a good show, however the guide was very poorly done.
not keen on the toronto traffic!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:12 am
Posts: 201
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
I spent 5 hours, dropping by most rooms and over heard some conversations of how some people with endless disposible income, talk of how they have 3 systems and they are $$$$$. That's not why I am here to listen to .... please people.

From 2 to 7 pm, I did not feel that there is many people compare to last year. With exception to a few room that attracted some people but, overall, not that busy....floor 7, the hall way is not filled like last year.

Blueberryhill is my favourite. Naim audio NDS system is nice too. New Dynaudio wireless speaker is very neat. Many friendly folks to talk to. Steve Huang from Audio Sensibility is always with energy and fun to talk to; he loves his job.

Enjoy the show folks.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:38 pm 
Offline
Premium User
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:08 pm
Posts: 18450
Location: Montreal, QC, CA
What??? No show pictures yet???


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:33 pm
Posts: 1654
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
Here were some of my favs, off the top of my head:

Blueberry Hill - excellent
Charisma's room - don't remember the equipment other than a reel-to-reel and Mac Mini / DAC, with some Italian speakers
Angie's high end room with the Audio Research monoblocs and big $28K horn speakers (think it was Acapella but don't remember)
Sonic Artistry's room - Simon Yorke table, Manley electronics, Living Voice speakers

Overall I agree with others - the show was a bit blaaaah. Most of the rooms kinda thrown together by various local dealers. Would have liked to go later in the weekend to get the best sound but just too busy. Also disappointed by the lack of vendors - The Record Guys had a really cool selection of classical records at 5 bucks a pop but Liberty Trading drives me nuts...

Looking forward to RMAF in a few weeks - now THAT is a show!!!!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 295 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: guygus and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group