Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 9:50 am 

Hi CAM;

What gear are you using and how do you have it set-up?

Are there and brands out there now (2017) that design and manufacture hardware for use with SACD, DVD-Audio or Blu-ray 5.1 discs?

If your current gear had to be replaced what would you be looking at as a replacement?

Audiois1st

Check out My Components: http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/userprofile.php?user_id=39933

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 7:47 am 

I've tried to the best of my ability to set-up my system based on the International Telecommunication Union (ITU)'s suggested configuration for 5.1 music listening. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5.1_surround_sound

Albeit a small room that could not accommodate 5 full sized speakers. My surround system is also a hybrid used for movie surround using a “theatre” centre channel.

Check out My Components: http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/userprofile.php?user_id=39933

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 9:16 am 

Are their no multi-channel music enthusiasts here that are interested in engaging in this topic?

Audiois1st

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 9:56 am 

I have a HT setup in my basement mostly used for surrround (5.1) music. My collection consists of DTS-CDs, DVD-A, SACD, Blu-Ray audio, DD/DTS 5.1 (think I got them all). I use an anthem D2 with a sunfire cinema 7 and a cinema grand for amplification. My speakers in the front are Sonus Faber Venere 3.0, with corresponding centre and a pair of SF Venere 2.0 for the rears. My sub is a sunfire high end 12". I use an OPPO 893SE to play my discs. Cabling is mostly kimber Silver streak, 12TC speaker wire, cardas NR and GR. My fronts are bi-amped with the cinema grand and the rest bi-wired from the cinema 7. Poer is providede through a PS audio Power Plant Premier (i think). I also have a R2R, VPI Scoutmaster and a mini-disc player wired in as well.

If I could I would just replace the components I have with similar as I love the configuration I have now.

Panasonic 50" plasma in the mix as well.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 10:05 am 

Lots of 5.1, 7.2 and beyond choices for consumers now. I recently bought a Sony 4K 7.2 AVR STR-DN 1080 and it's fantastic value for the money, supports Dolby Atmos. Works great. Handles all my home theater, 3D TV needs, plus streaming over bluetooth, Airplay. Connect a transport such as OPPO or Sony UBP-X800 for SACD, DVD-A, Bluray for multichannel audio playback. For speakers, I have 2 subs, front towers, center and towers at the back, all PSB speakers. I highly recommend getting towers or decent speakers for rears as many multichannel audio discs use the rears for full instrumentation.

I have yet to find vinyl that sounds better than SACD. With disc based media and streaming audio you don't waste time cleaning your shitty vinyl LPs. Plus no snap-crackle-pop during playback. No need to clean or reset that archaic tonearm/needle that is slowly destroying your vinyl. Just hit play, sit back and enjoy. :-)

What type of advice are you looking for exactly?

By the way, us multichannel folks hang out over at QQ. You will find a wealth of info there + tons of multichannel audio reviews:
http://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/forum.php

-- 11 May 2017 18:11 --

Should add that as usual the Japanese are producing lots of interesting options for surround sound music. I'm huge Jeff Beck fan and have collected all the Japanese 7" Mini LP SACDs in Quadrophonic and 5.1 audio. These are remastered from the original analog sources. The Japanese really know how to package this stuff. Each 7" disc includes posters, stickers, lyrics and other info. Of course the sonics are freaking amazing. :-)

New Sgt. Pepper's multichannel remix on the way.

Here's a little sample of my JB SACD, CD/SHM collection:

Attachment:
IMG_0363.jpg
IMG_0363.jpg [ 368.01 KiB | Viewed 1820 times ]

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 10:36 am 

I use an Oppo BDP-80, Marantz NR1403, Tannoy MxR speakers (front and rear), Tannoy MxR CC and a B&W ASW 610 subwoofer.
And a 55" Panasonic Plasma TV.
I have a handful of DVD-A discs but by far the most outstanding of the lot is The Who-Tommy. Absolutely stunning sound.
Elton John's (DVD-A) Goodbye Yellow Brick Road isn't too shabby either.
5.1 configuration.
If I suddenly had a major windfall I'd get 5 mono amps and a quality processor.
As things are now my set up is ok for telly viewing and sounds surprisingly good with music. The really limiting factor is the A/V receiver. Most of them are crap and more money doesn't buy you any big improvements that's why I have this dream of all separates.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 11:25 am 

Pioneer Elite BDP-62FD for Blu-ray, SACD and DVD-Audio.

Glad I have my turntable set-up correctly for my LPs tho, I mean were I to live to 952 years old playing the same record 10x day I probably might notice my needle slowly damaging the grooves but those aren't my listening habits nor my plans for longevity so I'm golden there.

Have Acoustic Energy AELite 3 towers for fronts and rears and matching centre, Paradigm Servo 15v2 for the LFE, love surround music. Mostly SACD, then DVD-A, but my Blu-ray collection is growing with each passing Steven Wilson solo album and/or remix project. I'm patiently watching CAM to add a second Servo 15v2 but may also consider an original Servo 15.

Some of my fave 5.1 mixes:

Elton John - Madman Across the Water [DVD-A]
Tears for Fears - Songs from the Big Chair [Blu-ray]
Joe Satriani - Strange Beautiful Music [SACD]
Seal - Seal (I) [DVD-A]
Porcupine Tree - In Absentia [DVD-A]
Billy Joel - The Stranger [SACD]
Bob Marley and The Wailers - Legend 30th Anniversary [Blu-ray]
Steven Wilson - Hand Cannot Erase [Blu-ray]
Anathema - Distant Satellites [Blu-ray]
Sting - Ten Summoner's Tales [dts CD]
Beck - Sea Change [DVD-A]
Toto - Toto IV [SACD]
Bryan Adams - Reckless [Blu-ray]
Depeche Mode - Violator [SACD]
NIN - The Downward Spiral [SACD]
Pink Floyd - The Dark Side of the Moon (Alan Parson Quadraphonic Mix) [Blu-ray]
Roxy Music - Avalon [SACD]
Fleetwood Mac - Rumours [DVD-A]

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 12:10 pm 

dobyblue wrote:

Some of my fave 5.1 mixes:

Elton John - Madman Across the Water [DVD-A]
Tears for Fears - Songs from the Big Chair [Blu-ray]
Joe Satriani - Strange Beautiful Music [SACD]
Seal - Seal (I) [DVD-A]
Porcupine Tree - In Absentia [DVD-A]
Billy Joel - The Stranger [SACD]
Bob Marley and The Wailers - Legend 30th Anniversary [Blu-ray]
Steven Wilson - Hand Cannot Erase [Blu-ray]
Anathema - Distant Satellites [Blu-ray]
Sting - Ten Summoner's Tales [dts CD]
Beck - Sea Change [DVD-A]
Toto - Toto IV [SACD]
Bryan Adams - Reckless [Blu-ray]
Depeche Mode - Violator [SACD]
NIN - The Downward Spiral [SACD]
Pink Floyd - The Dark Side of the Moon (Alan Parson Quadraphonic Mix) [Blu-ray]
Roxy Music - Avalon [SACD]
Fleetwood Mac - Rumours [DVD-A]

Nice collection. I have the stereo SACD. Any chance you'd consider selling MC Avalon?

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 12:17 pm 

I've dabbled in SACD and DVD-A and have probably only 20 titles. But I became a huge fan of live concert DVD's once they upped the recording quality to match the DTS & DD capabilities and then the excellent BluRay hi rez formats like DTS HD MA. The majority are eqaul to or better than the audio I've experienced live and I don't have to put up with people who like to watch the concerts on their phones.... :wink:
I probably have 100 titles that I burned to my NAS drive in ISO format to preserve the hi rez audio and I bought a software tweak for my Oppo 103D to stream them with. (I just bought the UDP-203 to replace it.)
As for my gear, well a divorce a couple of years back forced me to start building from scratch again and I've now got Paradigm Sig S6v.3's & C3 v.3 with their Monitor series ADP's (which are next on the list to upgrade) and a Velodyne SPL R1200. I've got the McIntosh MX122 for a front end and a D-Sonic 2500/7 amp. My current room is a total compromise and can't wait to move to something more suitable soon.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 12:21 pm 

I keep it listed on Amazon Canada but really it's listed not to sell ($300) but rather in an "I'd be an idiot not to take $xxx.xx for it" sort of way. I hate the notion of parting with any of my surround mixes. I think I've only ever sold two SACDs, Bat Out of Hell and Aerosmith's Toys in the Attic - I don't miss BOOH as it really wasn't a very good 5.1 mix, but I am mad I sold the Aerosmith as a) I only sold it for $70 and b) it was worth it just for Sweet Emotion.

I paid $100 for the Avalon, Bob Clearmountain really gets surround and I hope we see more 5.1 mixes from him upcoming - in addition to Avalon he did the Reckless 5.1 mix and the amazing 5.1 mix on Bob Marley's Legend, a must own surround mix whether people like his music or not, Exodus in surround is as good as dropping LSD.

Shame more of these labels don't get some of the OOP SACD/DVD-A titles back in print on Blu-ray.

Pretty sure my total count on SACD, DVD-A, Blu-ray music discs has got to be way over 100 now.

-- 11 May 2017 20:24 --

rnrgagne wrote:
The majority are eqaul to or better than the audio I've experienced live and I don't have to put up with people who like to watch the concerts on their phones.... :wink:

Ugh, this is a MASSIVE pet peeve of mine.

Sat in the balcony for Peter Gabriel and Sting (Rock Paper Scissors) at ACC in Toronto and had front row 300s, was SO NICE not to have phones in front of my face even though looking straight down at the RED/GOLD sections I could see them all over the place.

People are just dicks in general.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 12:24 pm 

Sorry, using 11.2 now... Dolby Atmos and DTS-X...... !!! Movies only for the those, 2 channel for music.... old fashioned for music... latest and greatest for Home Theater.....

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 12:34 pm 

Tutone wrote:
Sorry, using 11.2 now... Dolby Atmos and DTS-X...... !!! Movies only for the those, 2 channel for music.... old fashioned for music... latest and greatest for Home Theater.....

hey remember people were listening to quadraphonic mixes in the 70s! :)

When I get to Atmos/Auro/X I'm excited to try one of the few recordings that's been mixed for object-based audio presentations, have no doubt when done right it will be magnificent...more accurately creating for example the experience of listening to an orchestral performance in the Sistine Chapel, St. Michael's Cathedral, etc.

For example we have "The Choir of King's College Cambridge" performing "1615: Gabrieli in Venice" by Italian composer Giovanni Gabrieli - "the latest release on the College's own label and is the first classical album ever in the new Dolby Atmos surround sound format. This technology allows overhead sound to be included in the recording, reproducing the acoustics of the Chapel with unprecedented realism." - http://www.kings.cam.ac.uk/news/2015/ga ... enice.html

For something a little more 2010s there's electronic artist BT's "Electronic Opus" mixed into both 5.1 dts-HD MA and 9.1 Auro3D - https://www.amazon.ca/BT-Electronic-Opu ... B01KO8YQE8

I have the latter title, can only listen in 5.1 - some decent tracks on there for fans of Prodigy, Underworld, etc.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 12:54 pm 

dobyblue wrote:
Tutone wrote:

hey remember people were listening to quadraphonic mixes in the 70s! :)

When I get to Atmos/Auro/X I'm excited to try one of the few recordings that's been mixed for object-based audio presentations, have no doubt when done right it will be magnificent...more accurately creating for example the experience of listening to an orchestral performance in the Sistine Chapel, St. Michael's Cathedral, etc.

For example we have "The Choir of King's College Cambridge" performing "1615: Gabrieli in Venice" by Italian composer Giovanni Gabrieli - "the latest release on the College's own label and is the first classical album ever in the new Dolby Atmos surround sound format. This technology allows overhead sound to be included in the recording, reproducing the acoustics of the Chapel with unprecedented realism." - http://www.kings.cam.ac.uk/news/2015/ga ... enice.html

For something a little more 2010s there's electronic artist BT's "Electronic Opus" mixed into both 5.1 dts-HD MA and 9.1 Auro3D - https://www.amazon.ca/BT-Electronic-Opu ... B01KO8YQE8

I have the latter title, can only listen in 5.1 - some decent tracks on there for fans of Prodigy, Underworld, etc.

If you're into rock/jazz fusion check out the quad SACDs of Billy Cobham's Spectrum and Mahavishnu Orchestra (John McLaughlin) Birds of Fire. Incredible quad mixes, percussion swirling around the room, both these are my top reference discs,

The Living Stereo SACD series is really great. These can be had for not a lot of money on crapazon. Most are stereo only SACD with some being 3-channel where your centre channel will get a work out.

My list of multichannel audio over at HRAudio:
http://www.hraudio.net/library.php?user=13467

Last edited by vibrolux on Thu May 11, 2017 1:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 12:59 pm 

Pat Metheney's "The Way Up Live" and Jeff Beck "Live at Ronnie Scott's" Blu Ray's are worth a spin too.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 1:10 pm 

rnrgagne wrote:
Pat Metheney's "The Way Up Live" and Jeff Beck "Live at Ronnie Scott's" Blu Ray's are worth a spin too.

I have these. Agree both are excellent concert videos. But not really multichannel music with only ambient sound (audience) in the rears. If you're a Jeff Beck fan, check out the quad mixes of Wired, BBA, Rough and Ready etc..