Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1828 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 122  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:54 pm 

MrAcoustat wrote:
you're not a photograph, you're an audiophile.

Mr. A, I know you by your avatar. You will always be a photograph to me. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:58 am 
Premium User

Adam G2 wrote:
OBI56 wrote:
Adam G2 wrote:

Very nice Adam G2, could you please identify the gear for those of us who are curious?

With pleasure,

Ayre Acoustics C-5 xeMP cdp
McIntosh C500T pre
McIntosh MC402 power
Dynaudio Contour S3.4 loudpseakers
Audience Adept Response power conditioner
Purist Audio Designs Venustas balanced ICs x 2
Purist Audio Designs Proteus speaker cables
Virtual Dynamics Master PC
Tara Labs The One PC x 2
Salamander S30 equipment stand
Ensemble Zobro cd isolation platform
GIK Acoustic Panels
ACS Tube Trapbs

Thanks Adam; the only thing I could identify for sure was the MC-402!!! VERY nice indeed!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:56 am 

Brodie1 wrote:
My listening room, the speaker stands, audio rack, room acoustic panels are DIY. The gear is: Xindak XA6950 amp, DAC-8,Muse 2.0 CD player, Grant Fidelity RBS-1 speakers, and Grant Fidelity RPF-120.

Beautiful clean 2ch room. I want to redo my setup in those colors!
Great job Brodie1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:11 am 

Adam G2 wrote:
Adam G2 wrote:

With pleasure,

Ayre Acoustics C-5 xeMP cdp
McIntosh C500T pre
McIntosh MC402 power
Dynaudio Contour S3.4 loudpseakers
Audience Adept Response power conditioner
Purist Audio Designs Venustas balanced ICs x 2
Purist Audio Designs Proteus speaker cables
Virtual Dynamics Master PC
Tara Labs The One PC x 2
Salamander S30 equipment stand
Ensemble Zobro cd isolation platform
GIK Acoustic Panels
ACS Tube Trapbs

Finally- some room acoustics treatments! Hey Adam, what would be your advice about the benefits of said devices to all those that have posted their pictures prior to yours? :wink:

Happy Trails!
MTB Vince

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:54 am 

This is my system, from the top:

Clearaudio Ovation/Dynavector 17D3 (replaced by Ortofon Cadenza black)
Rega Saturn
Cary SLP98
Moon LP5.3/PSX 5.3
Trixie
PS Audio P300
Prima Luna Dialogue 7's (now with KT120's)
Reference 3A Episodes
Velodyne DD10 (no longer have the sub)
Cables, Gutwire Chime 2 IC. Kimber Bifocal XL speaker, Gutwire, JPS Labs, PS Audio power cables
Attachment:
The attachment 100_2001 (2).jpg is no longer available

Attachments:
000_0077 (2).jpg
000_0077 (2).jpg [ 215.86 KiB | Viewed 3312 times ]

Last edited by acuratl on Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:00 am 

Toby wrote:
MrAcoustat wrote:
you're not a photograph, you're an audiophile.

Mr. A, I know you by your avatar. You will always be a photograph to me. :wink:

Yes Toby your right, when it come's to AUDIO, i love to see pictures of nice gear, even if i don't like it, if someone bought it it's because HE liked it and that's what's important.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:10 am 

pretty simple as this is my second system in my bedroom

NAD C320BEE integrated
NAD C521BEE cdp
Paradigm Studio 20 v.5

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:58 pm 

acuratl wrote:

Roksan Radius 5/Dynavector Karat 17D3
Rega Saturn
Cary SLP98
Moon LP5.3/PSX 5.3
Trixie
PS Audio P300
Prima Luna Dialogue 7's
Reference 3A Episodes
Velodyne DD10
Cables, Gutwire Chime 2 IC. Kimber Bifocal XL speaker, Gutwire, JPS Labs, PS Audio power cables
Attachment:
100_2001 (2).jpg

Just curious about your speakers. I haven't heard them but hear good things. What did you look at buying otherwise before coming to decide on the Reference 3A's? Can you give your comments on them?
Thanks kindly.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:16 pm 

Lensman wrote:
acuratl wrote:

Rega Saturn
Cary SLP98
Moon LP5.3/PSX 5.3
Trixie
PS Audio P300
Prima Luna Dialogue 7's
Reference 3A Episodes
Velodyne DD10
Attachment:
100_2001 (2).jpg

Just curious about your speakers. I haven't heard them but hear good things. What did you look at buying otherwise before coming to decide on the Reference 3A's? Can you give your comments on them?
Thanks kindly.

To be honest, there was no shopping before I purchased the Episodes. I had owned the Reference 3A de Capo's and the MM's before that and was very pleased with both. So I thought the Episodes would offer more of the same, and I was right. I'm not sure if you've heard the de Capo's but the Episodes are just as balanced top to bottom, are detailed, exellent on vocals, (midrange purity) have a wide, deep soundstage, are very dynamic and have what I believe to be better bass extension than the 38hz spec. They are also very easy to drive; my previous amps, the ASL 22 watt SET AQ 1006/845's had no difficulty driving them. I highly recommend them.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:34 pm 

Dedicated room measuring roughly 15' X 25'. From top to bottom, along the short wall:

Ariston RD 11S with SME 3009 and Shure M97xe
Rega Jupiter CD Player
McIntosh MX130
McIntosh MC275 V
Squeezebox classic
Tympani 1Ds
Quad ESL 57

Along the wide wall:

Sansui FR1080 turntable
Sansui AU9500
Sansui SP-100 and SP-200
NAD CD player 531i

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:36 am 
Premium User

acuratl wrote:
Lensman wrote:
acuratl wrote:

Rega Saturn
Cary SLP98
Moon LP5.3/PSX 5.3
Trixie
PS Audio P300
Prima Luna Dialogue 7's
Reference 3A Episodes
Velodyne DD10
Attachment:
100_2001 (2).jpg

Thanks kindly.

To be honest, there was no shopping before I purchased the Episodes. I had owned the Reference 3A de Capo's and the MM's before that and was very pleased with both. So I thought the Episodes would offer more of the same, and I was right. I'm not sure if you've heard the de Capo's but the Episodes are just as balanced top to bottom, are detailed, exellent on vocals, (midrange purity) have a wide, deep soundstage, are very dynamic and have what I believe to be better bass extension than the 38hz spec. They are also very easy to drive; my previous amps, the ASL 22 watt SET AQ 1006/845's had no difficulty driving them. I highly recommend them.

What kind of music do you listen to on them? I heard them at SSI 2010 but the all musical choices were just too plain weird and esoteric for my tastes and the exhibitor showed no signs of wanting to play anything but his own specially chosen and optimized music rather than anything that "normal" people could relate to. Pity really because I am a longtime 3A owner having 2 pairs and was looking at the Episodes to replace my very aging Apogée Monitors in my bedroom/office system.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:40 pm 

It's unfortunate the exhibitor didn't allow you to play your music, not a strategy that would create a lot of interest in the product. I'd like to think my taste in music is neither weird nor esoteric. Right now I'm listening to Susan Tedeschi "Hope and Desire" If you haven't heard of her, she's an excellent blues guitarist. I enjoy the blues, I am a big Neil Young fan, have some jazz and a wide variety of female vocalists (my current favourite is Over the Rhine). My taste in music isn't taxing on a system as Classical would be, but my system, and the Episodes, more than meet my needs. Hope that helps.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:59 pm 

MTB Vince wrote:
Finally- some room acoustics treatments! Hey Adam, what would be your advice about the benefits of said devices to all those that have posted their pictures prior to yours? :wink:

Happy Trails!
MTB Vince

Vince, I would say without fail that room treatments are by far the most cost effective manner to improve the sonics of a given system. My listening room consists of tiled ceramic floors and bare walls. I set up my system after moving in and carefully measured and calculated the proper speaker placement based on my research and generally agreed upon principles. The sound was intolerable regardless of any attempts to reduce the glare, echo, harshness, bloated bass and sibilance I was experiencing. I contacted the team at GIK acoustics and ordered a full compliment of room treatments for a total $900 - far less expensive than similar offerings from other manufactures. The results were more startling and drastic than any component, speaker, cable or other modification/change to my system to date. Acoustic treatments are essential to anyone who has invested considerable time or money into their system.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:07 pm 

Adam G2 wrote:
MTB Vince wrote:

Happy Trails!
MTB Vince

Vince, I would say without fail that room treatments are by far the most cost effective manner to improve the sonics of a given system. My listening room consists of tiled ceramic floors and bare walls. I set up my system after moving in and carefully measured and calculated the proper speaker placement based on my research and generally agreed upon principles. The sound was intolerable regardless of any attempts to reduce the glare, echo, harshness, bloated bass and sibilance I was experiencing. I contacted the team at GIK acoustics and ordered a full compliment of room treatments for a total $900 - far less expensive than similar offerings from other manufactures. The results were more startling and drastic than any component, speaker, cable or other modification/change to my system to date. Acoustic treatments are essential to anyone who has invested considerable time or money into their system.

Hey Adam, would you happen to have a link to GIK for those of us too lazy to go looking for them ourselves. Perhaps a name to drop as well. I like the look you created with your set up.

Thanks for posting up.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:23 pm 

shawnboyind wrote:
Hey Adam, would you happen to have a link to GIK for those of us too lazy to go looking for them ourselves. Perhaps a name to drop as well. I like the look you created with your set up.

Thanks for posting up.

Thanks shawn

Here is the link and contact info

http://www.gikacoustics.com

Bryan Pape - bryan.p@gikacoustics.com
Glenn E Kuras - glenn.k@gikacoustics.com

1-888-986-2789

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1828 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 122  Next