It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:29 pm 

LOL thanks for the usefull hint.

Bernard

Post subject: Magnum Dynalab
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:32 pm 

One can always visit Magnum Dynalab in Brampton.

Great people, wonderful tuners - and they offer great in house prices on their "previously loved" products.

http://www.magnumdynalab.com

Call ahead and make sure someone knowledgable is around before you drop in .....

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:45 am 

Re: Newforms: WONDERFUL speakers, to me anyway. Good to support a small Canuck company! The owner returns correspondance persoanlly and seems to be a real good guy. I had Newforms (R-81's) that they do not make anymore, but they were great, to my ear.
Minuses:
Failry small sweet spot, horizontally, but not a problem if you have a dedicated listening position. Sound is not as great if you wander around the room when listening.
MAY not be great for staright-ahead / hard rock, but better tahn the MG 12's for that.
Pluses:
WHAT a GREAT sweet spot; spoiled me for other speakers, as they are + + neutral and will show errors in poor recordings.
Have a very TANGIBLE effect on music; you can see and feel instruments such as strings, etc. WONDERFUL for jazz, acoustic and classical.
Any further q's drop me a line!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:00 am 

I heard the Newform R645's at Natural Sound on Queen St. West a couple years ago when I was auditioning new speakers before going with Martin Logans. The ones there I believe were version 1's. The version 2 and version 3 units have tightened up the bass a great deal as they are now using Scan Speak Revelator mids rather than the previously used carbon/paper mids.

Overall I liked them but found the cabinets to be a little boomy and felt it wouldn't fit my room well. The older models preferred to be spaced out from the walls quite a bit. I believe the V3's are a little less concerned room boundary effects with that now that they have gone to a sealed cabinet.

Also the new V3 cabinets are built using an in house CNC machine whereas the previous ones were sourced from a Toronto area speaker builder that was building the cabinets to a certain price point and not what they could have potentially done...as they do with their own reference line of speakers.

Home Audio: Pro-ject RPM 1 | Pioneer Elite DVD | Pioneer VSX-84TXSi | Sonic Frontiers Line1 | Quad II Forty Monoblocks | Quad ESL 57 | B&W PM1 | Newform Research R645 | B&W ASW 608 sub | Mac Mini operating Roon Music Server

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:16 am 

I just picked up some Gershman Avant Garde speakers, and happened to meet the owners Ofra and Eli. This very nice couple basically design and build these world class speakers in their facilities in Uxbridge. I think if they had the budget to market their products like the larger firms eg., Paradigm, Energy, B&W etc., these wonderful sounding speakers would be selling for a lot more than they are.

Post subject: Gershman AG RX20
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:02 pm 

MikeyC,
Can you comment on the sound of the AGs? No representation out here in BC. In addition, do you know if there were any improvements over the years since the original release? (Binding posts, crossover etc) What, in your opinion is a speaker that is comparable in sound?
Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:24 pm 

durand wrote:
I did own a pair of Newform Research R645 for a couple of years and my only complain was the warmth in the mids and as other mentioned the bass was not as pronounced as other speakers - in my room. That being said the top end of the NFR 645 is very close to the Maggies 3.6. After selling the NFR645 I acquired a pair of MG12 which was amazing for the money. Because I have cats now, Maggies are out of question for the mean time. The day I will know the cats will not be incline to consider Maggies for a scratching post I will have the 3.6 in my living room. Just as good extention as the 645 but far superior texture in the mids.

Bernard Durand
Ottawa

High Mr.Durand after having Acoustat's panels for over 15 years a move to a condo had to make me downsize my system and a panel guy will stick with panels so now i own Magnepan's 1.6QR and i am very happy with them my cousin owns MG-12s and is also very satisfied i just want to let you know to be very carefull with the 3.6 i have 2 friends that bought them thinking to upgrade and both sold them to go back to what they ad before one had MG3A and the other ad 1.6QR i have listen to all the Magnepan's and i can tell you if you like the sound of the MG3A you can not like the sound of the 3.6 one is very smooth and the other is very detailed you need tubes to smooth them down or very good class A solid state even the 1.6QR need very good electronics just to let you know my nickname is Panneauman witch means Panelman in french i do no what i am talking about when it comes to PANELS here is a pic of my system

AndreSevigny Panneauman New moniker - - - MrAcoustat

Attachments:
MrAcoustat     Keep It Simple.jpg
MrAcoustat Keep It Simple.jpg [ 45.28 KiB | Viewed 2008 times ]

Last edited by MrAcoustat on Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
 Post subject: Re: Gershman AG RX20
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:15 am 

Ed wrote:
MikeyC,
Can you comment on the sound of the AGs? No representation out here in BC. In addition, do you know if there were any improvements over the years since the original release? (Binding posts, crossover etc) What, in your opinion is a speaker that is comparable in sound?
Thanks!

Ed the AGs are very well rounded speakers, - tight authoritative bass, and silky smooth mids and highs that really shine with female vocals. They are equally at ease with rock, classical and jazz. The previous model was very similar but with a switch at the rear for the HF crossover and a round port instead of rectangular on the newer model. Also I think the construction of at base of the speaker is different although the overall weight at 75 lbs each is about the same. My friend has the older model but I don't notice much difference between them to tell the truth. Binding posts are WBT style and good quality. This punches way above its weight and on the used market it would be a steal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:38 am 

andresevigny wrote:
just to let you know my nickname is Panneauman witch means Panelman in french i do no what i am talking about when it comes to PANELS here is a pic of my system

AndreSevigny Panneauman

Nice display of cutlery. Do you cook, or are they there as a deterrent to anybody who might want to touch your speakers?

Is a man's best hedge
Against the vague uncertainies of life
Corb Lund

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:43 am 

Andre: I assume you don't have any kids running around your place. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:45 am 

Yaukui wrote:
andresevigny wrote:
just to let you know my nickname is Panneauman witch means Panelman in french i do no what i am talking about when it comes to PANELS here is a pic of my system

AndreSevigny Panneauman

Nice display of cutlery. Do you cook, or are they there as a deterrent to anybody who might want to touch your speakers?

No it is when i invite friends over and they don't like my system

then i can take care of them

AndreSevigny Panneauman New moniker MrAcoustat

Last edited by MrAcoustat on Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:36 pm 

mikeyc wrote:
Andre: I assume you don't have any kids running around your place. :lol:

Nope i am a grandfather alone with the wife and when i say alone i mean alone my wife works on the day shift and i work on the night shift so when she works i listen to music and when i work she watches tv at least i hope that's what she does i am also semi- retired i work 31 hours a week sat = 12 sun = 12 mon = 07 then i am off for the week now that's life i am 62 years young and looking forward to 65 instead of 60 hours a week listening to music it will probably go up to 80 i know it's a rough world out there one of the advantages of getting older

AndreSevigny Panneauman New moniker MrAcoustat

Last edited by MrAcoustat on Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:51 pm 
Premium User

b3733366 wrote:
Maybe not exactly in you backyard but not far from it ...

Mapletree Audio Design
http://hollowstate.netfirms.com/

I've been very tempted to try a MAD component but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

However I can say that whenever MAD shows up here on CAM it's usually gone before the day is out!

Doc Lloyd is a great guy. Had him at the house kinda thing. MAD gear sound quit excellent.

My bud had a older but MINT two chassis MFA octal pre at home, that he borrowed.

Then he got the MAD pre about year after that loan of the MFA.

To his ears, the MAD sounded the same, in most respects, with reference to the quality of the sonics.

Need I say more?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:15 am 

Well if you're looking for newform research speakers, I know that Hi Fi Fo Fum in Toronto has a pair of Newform Research sitting in the store. Not sure which model though.
Sounds pretty good as I recall.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:57 am 

Hula Pie wrote:
Arcadia Audio wrote:
Although not in the London area, a company out of Midland:

http://www.newformresearch.com/

has anyone ever listened to or owned their speakers?

Scott

Heard the smallest pair from a about 4-5 years ago. I can't really describe the sound, but they reminded me of the smaller martin logan series speakers, but the high end sounded verrrry open. Sounded great with classical and jazz type music, however rock and roll didn't sound very good. Can't remember the model but they were on demo in a Toronto store and they were very affordable....$600 or so....

So Hula Pie what you're saying is that they are good for music BUT not great with noise ok i get it. :lol: :lol: :lol: