Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Burning CD's
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:12 pm 

Hi Toby
Check your PM
Cheers
Csiz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:15 pm 

Instead of accidentally hijacking Hula's thread, I would like to start a new one related to burning levels. I find all the combinations of KHz's and Bits something of a mystery. I hope some of you will reply.

Hope to see you there,
Mccsiz

Post subject: Re: Burning CD's
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:26 pm 

Mccsiz wrote:
Instead of accidentally hijacking Hula's thread, I would like to start a new one related to burning levels. I find all the combinations of KHz's and Bits something of a mystery. I hope some of you will reply.

Hope to see you there,
Mccsiz

No problem...I'm glad you asked the question. I burnt the same cd 3x yesterday in different formats to see if I could hear a difference. I thought I could, but I'm not 100% convinced. I found WMA lossless to sound the best so far, but I can't substantiate technically what the difference may have been. It sounded a little more open, wider spatially. Other formats sounded a little more closed in on my system.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:46 pm 

Hula Pie wrote:
I found WMA lossless to sound the best so far, but I can't substantiate technically what the difference may have been. It sounded a little more open, wider spatially. Other formats sounded a little more closed in on my system.

I agree on the WMA sound, I find it handles the highest freqs better, but I'm not clear on why you are compressing the wav files to begin with. Aren't you just copying tracks to make mix cds?

You don't need/want compression if that's the case. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:11 pm 

I am not sure if you guys are aware of this but, when you burn an audio cd
with a program such as say Nero,(which is the most commonly used)the
software converts it to wav before it burns it anyway.Therefore you are
better off ripping to wav with EAC or whatever program you like.I hope how i worded that makes sense.
Esentially audio cd's are a cd with a bunch of wav files.I have found i
can also hear a difference( albeit a small one) when i burn at slower
speeds.
Just my two cents.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:24 am 

ripblade wrote:
Hula Pie wrote:
I found WMA lossless to sound the best so far, but I can't substantiate technically what the difference may have been. It sounded a little more open, wider spatially. Other formats sounded a little more closed in on my system.

I agree on the WMA sound, I find it handles the highest freqs better, but I'm not clear on why you are compressing the wav files to begin with. Aren't you just copying tracks to make mix cds?

You don't need/want compression if that's the case. :?

Ripblade: I'm totally new to this to be honest. I was playing around in order to establish if I could hear a difference. Truly, what is the best format for me to record in with the typical WMA options?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:31 am 

https://www.blankmedia.ca/proddetail3.asp?id=1220

This would seem like a hell of a deal, unless someone can tell me why it may not be? Great brand, great price, couldn't give a rat's you know what about the colouring!k

Anyone else agree this is a deal?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:07 am 

Great Deal Hula Pie. Only one problem: the sale ended March 1 :wink:

Also, you should seriously consider downloading EAC's stuff. As Blazen says, you are better off RIPPING to WAV rather than the Windows Media 11 WMA. Mind you, I find EAC a lot more primitive than Media 11, but the inconveniences are minor. Does Media 11 allow you to burn in WAV? Perhaps you should check this out first.

Cheers
Csiz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:38 pm 

Hula Pie wrote:
https://www.blankmedia.ca/proddetail3.asp?id=1220

This would seem like a hell of a deal, unless someone can tell me why it may not be? Great brand, great price, couldn't give a rat's you know what about the colouring!k

Anyone else agree this is a deal?

Looks like a fair deal to me. I buy the plain ones at Office depot when they're on sale, about 25 bucks for 100.

Hula, I don't have the Windows Media Player version you have, but it's not likely WMP will let you rip to wav, at least mine won't. Not surprising, as Microsoft is a staunch proponent of copy protection. Go figure.

Are you not able to get EAC to run at all in Vista?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:49 pm 

Actually WMP should let you rip to wav.Not sure how good the error
correction in it is though.It rips pretty fast which usually isn't a good
thing.Btw, Hula if you can't get EAC to work on your machine CDex is
a pretty good second choice.It's not quite as good as EAC but it's better
then WMP.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:14 pm 

I tried EAC on Vista a year ago and couldn't get it to work, even with help from someone who uses EAC regularly, but wasn't familiar with Vista. I don't remember off hand what the small problem was and perhaps he has improved the current version. WMP on Vista lets you choose your rip and burn speeds to quite slow settings.
Someone mentioned above about things not being compatible with Vista but I've had very good luck with the limited software I have tried with it and overall have had next to no problems with Vista at all, as compared to the previous, less intuitive versions of windows.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:34 pm 

Vista isn't as bad as people made it out to be.Every operating system
from Microsoft was a pain before the first service pack.The main
problem with Vista imo, is that it's a bit of a power hog.Microsoft
marketed it as an operating system that would work with everyone's
current pc's, which was bs.If you Google EAC and Vista you will find
a similar discussion on Hydrogenaudio about this.Apparently he solved
his issues by shutting down his antivirus when ripping.Seems strange
but, it's worth a shot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:55 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

I've been ripping to *.wav since I can remember and using the computer as a music server since at least Win95, maybe even Win 3.1 don't remember. Many have been doing the same thing on the Mac in *.aif format.

These are the formats that most digital masters end up in. Even 10 years ago with the size of hard drives back then equally something that can easily fit on a dime now, i saw no reason for compression or lossless formats (well any digital format is lossy compared to analogue, but thats another topic) except for internet delivery.

Another very cool way to listen to your archived CD Library is to use your favourite CD copying software, Nero etc and burn directly to your hard drive and then use something like MagicDisc (freeware) to mount about 15 CD virtual drives on your computer to load in the exact copy of the CD from *.nrg, *.iso etc files. Combines with a decent soundcard you will have an excellent music server.

Cheers,
Ian

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:11 am 

GRANT SAID:
Another very cool way to listen to your archived CD Library is to use your favourite CD copying software, Nero etc and burn directly to your hard drive and then use something like MagicDisc (freeware) to mount about 15 CD virtual drives on your computer to load in the exact copy of the CD from *.nrg, *.iso etc files. Combines with a decent soundcard you will have an excellent music server.

Please elaborate, or at least direct me to a site that will. When you said "burn" you didn't mean "rip" right?

Cheers,
Loyd

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:39 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

Mccsiz wrote:
GRANT SAID:

Please elaborate, or at least direct me to a site that will. When you said "burn" you didn't mean "rip" right?

Cheers,
Loyd

Hi Loyd,

Whichever term you wish :) For instance in Nero, select Image Recorder in the menu/recorders/select recorder, plunk in your favourite CD, select copy CD, name the file and save location, in a few minutes you will have about a 500MB *.nrg file on your hard drive, which is an exact copy (image) of the CD.

Run MagicDisc ( http://www.magiciso.com/tutorials/miso- ... erview.htm ) and mount that CD as a Drive, you can mount drives up to the letter 'Z", which on my computers is usually about 20 virtual drives or CD's. Then you can do with them as you wish, play them, build a playlist with your fav software, rip to *.wav, MP3, flac, build your library or whatever you would normally do with a CD. Bonus with MagicDisc is that it remembers what virtual drives were loaded on shut down.

IMO and I have been doing it for a long time, this is the best way to do a music server, flexible (as fexible as your computer and software is), powerful, costs nothing more than a decent soundcard (Hula likes that :) and most importantly, you have the CD on your hard drive.

Maybe there is better options out there, I haven't bothered looking in a long time, this works for me.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Ian

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next