Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:14 am 
Premium User

Rightfully or wrongfully, I've always thought that cities with very long winters are a better market for hi fi equipment because people cocoon more of the year. This should have helped Calgary a bit (but maybe not as much as Edmonton). Although the store carried some great brands, it didn't seem particularly innovative. Maybe I'll be corrected on this but I think that to be successful in the B&M business, you need to offer what can't be had on line such as enhanced customer service, customer appreciation events, listening sessions, manufacturer nights, live music etc. A prominent web store can't hurt either.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:40 am 

msommers wrote:
Another bites the dust :(

I can assure you Millennials know and would like a fancy stereo.

Do you think there may be some credibility issues between the HiFi industry as we know it and the clever young Millennials that have both the technical smarts and the disposable cash to afford HiFi gear? Dealers gotta adapt or die.

Especially in Calgary, HiFi dealers have to drop the foo and gargantuan gear from yesterday and display some cool looking "Life Style" systems the wives/girl friends will like as well.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:07 am 

selkirk wrote:
I doubt that there is any single cause to Calgary's rapidly shrinking list of hifi retailers.

Undoubtedly, this is another example of the impact of Calgary's economic downturn. Although we are recovering, the amount of disposable income available to the average Calgarian is certainly not at the the same level it was a few years back. Combine that with general industry trend away from B&M retailers, and the fact that most Millenials seem content enjoying music through an iPhone/Bluetooth speaker....and I guess this is the expected result.

At least the Edmonton hifi scene still appears to be going strong....for now.

What else is there to do in Edmonton!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:23 am 

This is indeed terrible news and I say that never having been to this store or even to the city of Calgary. Something here seems completely out of whack. High end audio is very, very rarely purchased online sight unseen, sound unheard and there is more high end brands, particularly ultra high end brands with more mega buck product than ever before, so using the reason of online sales negatively affecting the high end brick and mortar store as the cause of the demise of retail audio just doesn't fly, I'm sorry. Honestly, how many of us have, or know of someone who has purchased a true high end audio product online without ever having seen or heard it? Online sales has virtually nothing to do with the demise of high end brick and mortar establishments.

Concurrently, the constant introduction of new high end brands and product suggests that high end two channel audio is succeeding somewhere, just not in North America for the most part apparently. There are certainly multiple factors affecting the audio world of today but online sales is not really one of them , this is a misconception. Of course there is the proliferation of modern entertainment alternatives that may share some of the blame, but that exists everywhere. Unfortunately I feel the large percentage of blame falls squarely on the backs of the manufacturers and retailers themselves and its probably too late to fix.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:56 am 

Audio_Guy wrote:
msommers wrote:

Do you think there may be some credibility issues between the HiFi industry as we know it and the clever young Millennials that have both the technical smarts and the disposable cash to afford HiFi gear? Dealers gotta adapt or die.

Especially in Calgary, HiFi dealers have to drop the foo and gargantuan gear from yesterday and display some cool looking "Life Style" systems the wives/girl friends will like as well.

Most unfortunate as I had stopped in there many times during my travels out west.... :(

I think that dealers really need to focus more on the quality aspect of their offerings / presentations rather that the "cool" looking "life style" systems. Indeed, these also have a place but may be limited as to the quality side of it - Similar to Fast Food for convenience or dining at a quality restaurant or preparing a home cooked meal with fresh ingredients.

In following current market trends and in order for these same dealers to remain in business, they would have to change & conform to conducting business as a glorified computer shop.

I also think that being pro-active, rather than re-acting to market trends, will pay off in greater dividends in the long run. But dealers are not prepared to invest time or take the risk on something that is out of the ordinary.

As such, the term "quality" needs to be redefined as it relates to Audio.

If the audio industry / dealers were to focus on this important element, in time, the standards of the general public would be increased and as a result perhaps more people would take Audio much more seriously than simply "life style" or a "luxury" item.

In addition, exhibitors at shows really need to get a grip....example...Stop with the "Come hear the Million Dollar System" Yes, I get it....most of us end up walking away saying..."so that's what a million dollars get you" Wow, let's take up fishing....This should be a wake up call for them.

In this listener's humble opinion, if Audio were to be taken more seriously by becoming healthy necessity in our homes, I think the general public would be enticed enough to support the industry in a higher capacity and there would be fewer stores closing up shop.

So where does one start....??? Perhaps, at the listener level with....awareness, education, fun...etc...

Just some thoughts,

Happy Listening,
Francis R. :D

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:06 am 

Benetton wrote:
Audio_Guy wrote:
msommers wrote:

Most unfortunate as I had stopped in there many times during my travels out west.... :(

I think that dealers really need to focus more on the quality aspect of their offerings / presentations rather that the "cool" looking "life style" systems. Indeed, these also have a place but may be limited as to the quality side of it - Similar to Fast Food for convenience or dining at a quality restaurant or preparing a home cooked meal with fresh ingredients.

In following current market trends and in order for these same dealers to remain in business, they would have to change & conform to conducting business as a glorified computer shop.

I also think that being pro-active, rather than re-acting to market trends, will pay off in greater dividends in the long run. But dealers are not prepared to invest time or take the risk on something that is out of the ordinary.

As such, the term "quality" needs to be redefined as it relates to Audio.

If the audio industry / dealers were to focus on this important element, in time, the standards of the general public would be increased and as a result perhaps more people would take Audio much more seriously than simply "life style" or a "luxury" item.

In addition, exhibitors at shows really need to get a grip....example...Stop with the "Come hear the Million Dollar System" Yes, I get it....most of us end up walking away saying..."so that's what a million dollars get you" Wow, let's take up fishing....This should be a wake up call for them.

In this listener's humble opinion, if Audio were to be taken more seriously by becoming healthy necessity in our homes, I think the general public would be enticed enough to support the industry in a higher capacity and there would be fewer stores closing up shop.

So where does one start....??? Perhaps, at the listener level with....awareness, education, fun...etc...

Just some thoughts,

Happy Listening,

Good post.

I like your line:

Benetton wrote:
if Audio were to be taken more seriously by becoming healthy necessity in our homes,.....

What I mean by lifestyle systems are those that fit in a modern condo unit and sound good. Small in size but not in sound. Maybe like my office system that is built around a pair of LS35a's.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:25 am 

Yes indeed....There are certainly many fine systems / components - small in size, out there that are capable of yielding excellent results when properly configured....and without breaking the bank.... 8) 8)

But given what your LS35a's are capable of....Exactly how much work do you accomplish in your office??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Happy Listening,

Last edited by Benetton on Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:43 am 

Sounds of Music tried everything during their existence from "lifestyle" products (heck, they even carried B&O at one point if I remember correctly) to custom home theatre installation. They didn't just sell big monoblocks, etc. and did offer small systems from time to time, e.g. LINN Classik. I had even listened to a quality, surprisingly very good sounding small system consists of a Wadia CD player (w/ gain control) and a pair of active Paradigm bookshelves for instance (yes, may be a pair of active ATC will be even better). They brought in quite a few mid end and hi end gears too even after they went for the once ludicrous custom installation business. I have left Calgary for a bit over a decade now so might be things have changed over at that store fore bringing the demise. Or the owners just want to retire. And, the lack of interests in audio together with the economic downturn have taken its toll.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:13 am 

My first time in a few years ago I recall them slagging Sonos when I had mentioned it. At that time I was considering something for my daughter.
A local store here had carried Bose and went away from it. They brought it back and with a big display. customers would walk in, ask about Bose and walk out when they didn't carry it. the salesman comment that without it the family would go hungry as they can't sell enough high end to make a living.
These are the general market demands now.
I see many post about how sad this is and am familiar with comments many make about buying used, much better. I think this is more inline with the comment of on line purchasing.
How many posters here can say that they have continued to support their local B&M with on going purchases of new equipment.
Don't blame the millennial's; they are not the target market for this stuff. We are.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:10 pm 

UPDATE: John Woo called within 10 minutes of this post. He is handling ALL customers who had projects. I am so relieved and will sleep better tonight. Because they have closed, I might need installers but hopefully John’s former employees can do it independently. Also I am pleased to know about the backup from Elan and their other distributors in Calgary. Financial times are very bad in Calgary. I hope fellow Canadians understand the devastating impact the hard stop to Canada’s fossil fuel sales has on all Albertans. It is so inappropriate when our industry leads in clean production and fellow Canadians choose to consume products from other less responsible sources.
Original Post:
I just found out. Very bad news since I am in the middle of a project with John Woo and Sounds of Music. I hope he will contact me about my deposit and or completion. Also I need a reccomendation(S) if they have walked away from their obligations. I have an Elan system in one part of my house that I was to build on. Open to suggestions. Of course I would like to have John return my calls.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:04 pm 

Jencp wrote:
UPDATE: John Woo called within 10 minutes of this post. He is handling ALL customers who had projects. I am so relieved and will sleep better tonight. Because they have closed, I might need installers but hopefully John’s former employees can do it independently. Also I am pleased to know about the backup from Elan and their other distributors in Calgary. Financial times are very bad in Calgary. I hope fellow Canadians understand the devastating impact the hard stop to Canada’s fossil fuel sales has on all Albertans. It is so inappropriate when our industry leads in clean production and fellow Canadians choose to consume products from other less responsible sources.
Original Post:
I just found out. Very bad news since I am in the middle of a project with John Woo and Sounds of Music. I hope he will contact me about my deposit and or completion. Also I need a reccomendation(S) if they have walked away from their obligations. I have an Elan system in one part of my house that I was to build on. Open to suggestions. Of course I would like to have John return my calls.

What other less responsible sources? Explain.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:32 pm 

Just my 2 cents,but I'd say the fading Boom/Bust economy of the Oil Patch/then the huge Fire/public opinion regarding fossil fuels,push-back from many,and the majority deciding to not return to oil patch as a living,all of the above put the final nail in the coffin,add to this,many of us older audio folk,have decided we want to retire & enjoy the rest of our lives verses others that unfortunately have to work,(not much,if any disposable income)and/or others who prefer to work(too busy working to enjoy Music),all very personal choices.

My guess the owners of above store are not Millennial's,and have receding Grey(or no)hair lines?

Also,keep in mind the annoying 'Wanna be Mensa Club(non-member'),making an intense fool of himself pretending he can run a country south of the border,whose knee-jerk re-actions to 'anything',may have also been considered in that stores decision to pull the plug,(small business gets hit hardest),and who knows what & if tariffs could kill off any other old school brick-n-mortar hi-fi, stores,still hanging on,if the possible tariffs go ahead?...I happen to agree with R.Deniro,and suspect many real life Americans do too,lol.

I'd venture to say 'most members' here live on a 'real life budget',but still have worked very hard(over time) to assemble a system they are now happy with,(& currently enjoying),so no need to buy?

Like some one mentioned,its always Cool to hear what sound system is available for a Million,however,many of the old (and new)school,millennial,don't see much if any lasting value(resale?) in 'any high end audio',unless we pick it up,a few years later(if it still works?)for a fraction of its highly inflated value?..As some one previously mentioned,they go see a concert,clubs,LIVE.

My belief,for many of us Music/and or Audio started out as a Hobby,whether playing around/learning a Musical instrument,or diy speakers/amp projects,and for the majority of us will end as a Hobby,in our Sunset years.

Face it if the only sound offerings left are what you find at Best Buy,well it tells you the majority either don't have very good ears,or convince themselves they bought the best(Bose),from advertising/reviews?...or don't care at all?

My Son likes Vinyl,but absolutely abhors all the wire clutter.He is 33,does well.
I have not heard a complete wireless system,but strongly suspect my system would blow it against the back wall,Hard!

I'll add,if any of you are humming-n-hawing about buying your dream,or retirement system,and a long standing local store still has it,sounds like now would be the time grab it while you can,or when they clear out inventory,unless you prefer to buy components/speakers without 'Listening' to them before purchase on line?

On canuck,over the last few years,I've read of several closing Audio/Record stores,from one end of Canada to the other,other places had articles on this too,so there are lots closing/have closed/will close.It isn't going to stop.

Its the end of an era,Boys-n-Girls,you ain't going to save it,like many Model Rail Road Hobbyists,(isn't Golf dying too?),I see it as a dying Hobby/c/w /less interest as the B-Boom demographic slowly fade away,and like many Family items get passed on to whoever has an interest,which in my opinion,has driven fairly recent Vinyl resurgence.

Be interesting to hear from our members south of the border(or world wide),if its just dying here,in North America,or World Wide.I suspect its all over the world,with exception of say China?

EP Concert Kenny
Tonight's Concert Dave Mathews & Tim Reynolds,Live at Radio City Music Hall,& Dave Mathews Band The Central Park Concert.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:38 pm 

The economy here in Manitoba is better than it has been in many years but still our number one audio and video retailer seems to be struggling to stay afloat. I gotta believe the old guys are dying off and the younger guys just don’t give a crap about this stuff.Most are happy with those 600 Watt Speakers at Best Buy . Sad for sure. :cry:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:45 pm 

dupont62 wrote:
Musicware4u wrote:
airdronian wrote:
Hadn't seen this posted here yet - I checked their website today and a message indicates they are closed after over 60 years in business. If you were coming in from out of town to check out the McIntosh gear, better change your plans.

Another casualty of the economic downturn.

Attachment:
Screen Shot 2018-06-04 at 13.20.59.png

I'm not sure Millenials even know what a stereo looks like. We know, for the most part unless the older sibling or parent has a system, that they only listen to their phones on ear buds. Sadly, that's the future of retail audio stores.

....Recently had a gathering of musically oriented 16-18 year olds (bands/students/tutors).Although he said it looked different than his Dad's,one guy said my music setup was sort of like his Dad's.Most look puzzled as to why the Exposure mono blocs were needed.Although most were swept up in the music,couldn't help feeling by their expressions,they were viewing exhibits in a dinosaur museum :D

I think once anyone including millenials would be impressed by great stereo sound when they hear it. My point was getting them to bother to go beyond the phone-ear buds or blue tooth speaker. There are always exceptions but the fact is I don't know too many people spending big $$ on new audio equipment. Guys like me keep our eyes peeled for quality vintage audio, although we don't need more equipment thank you. As we all know, being sentimental about a store some of us once patronized or going down memory lane about how great they are does not pay their bills if we haven't been there in decades.

No I don't blame the millenials, the target market for audio sales is and has always been those born in the 1940's- 1970's. It's that demo that great up in the era of hi fi stereo that supports audio retailers that sell two channel new and used audio.

Last edited by Musicware4u on Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:46 pm 

Gerhard Roemer wrote:
The economy here in Manitoba is better than it has been in many years but still our number one audio and video retailer seems to be struggling to stay afloat. I gotta believe the old guys are dying off and the younger guys just don’t give a crap about this stuff.Most are happy with those 600 Watt Speakers at Best Buy . Sad for sure. :cry:

The young guys think music through a phone is hifi.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next