Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:10 am 

Despite not being a Neil Young fan I do agree with the comments above in that what he is doing by offering his entire music free to stream is pretty awesome. But saying that, it could be a difficult task for other artists to provide a similar service. Outside the large overhead that comes with streaming, an artists music maybe split amongst ownerships, licences and rights to which he/she (or they) may not have a say in how the music is distributed. And we all know how much large music labels love giving away music for free! Not sure how Radiohead or Neil Young was able to accomplish streaming their music for free – perhaps they own the majority share of their library which may give them deciding power over the other stake holders. Or perhaps there are other contractual obligations … who knows. It is a fragmented industry with everyone trying to grab a piece of the pie!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:16 pm 

Audio_Guy wrote:
Nothing is free, Neil gets an email address tied to an IP. I've been pissed by the way he treated his long time Alberta fans. fcker.

Please explain how this either benificial to Neil, or detrimental to you?

CAM has both of those items.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:43 pm 

Jared Rachwalski wrote:
Audio_Guy wrote:
Nothing is free, Neil gets an email address tied to an IP. I've been pissed by the way he treated his long time Alberta fans. fcker.

Please explain how this either benificial to Neil, or detrimental to you?

CAM has both of those items.

Jared, I'd be happy to oblige,

Aside from Neil's ungrateful stance on the oil sands, I do have some security concerns.

First of all this is not Neil's web site it belongs to Warner Brothers Records. I'm not sure how they intend to monitize their "Neil Young Assets", but I'm sure part of it involves the info they can get from the people that log on.

In all likely hood I am being way to paranoid. I don't belong to any of the major social internet sites like facebook or Linkedin, just CAM. Regarding feeling secure on CAM, I believe the site owners are to busy with their business to do anything with the relatively small user base. They seem to run a relatively clean bug free operation.

I may still give the Neil Young / Warner Brothers site a go. I used to be a hard core fan.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:32 pm 

The worst that could happen re data mining visitors to Neil Young's WB site is that WB learns what your fav Neil Young music is. Then, you might see some pop up ads from Amazon for example letting you know about those albums for sale. This is to help promote Neil's latest album but also to test a new business model where subscribers will join up to stream a particular artist's work. That would have to be a recording arts who has a huge catalogue of music solo and with bands as is the case with Neil.

Some might have noticed that there are certain tracks on this streaming site that you can only buy. Look for Neil And The Shocking Pinks EVerybody's Rockin. The album is like 25 min long and you can not stream any of the tracks without paying $1.29 per track. Yet, you can listen to Sample And HOld from one of Neil's worst albums, Trans, all you want for free. Yes, an album so bad his buddy David Geffin sued him over the poor release that was not up to Neil Young standards, but later dropped the suit.

It's a clever idea what Neil is doing because some will get hooked on the idea of having access to most of his catalogue and will subscribe once the free trial is over in jUne. Not to mention the man must be near retirement but he's confident there are many fans out there that would like this service.

Last edited by Musicware4u on Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:01 pm 

Audio_Guy wrote:

Aside from Neil's ungrateful stance on the oil sands, I do have some security concerns.

First of all this is not Neil's web site it belongs to Warner Brothers Records. I'm not sure how they intend to monitize their "Neil Young Assets", but I'm sure part of it involves the info they can get from the people that log on.

In all likely hood I am being way to paranoid. I don't belong to any of the major social internet sites like facebook or Linkedin, just CAM. Regarding feeling secure on CAM, I believe the site owners are to busy with their business to do anything with the relatively small user base. They seem to run a relatively clean bug free operation.

I may still give the Neil Young / Warner Brothers site a go. I used to be a hard core fan.

And what information do you think Warner Bros can obtain that has not already been gathered by every other website you have visited?

As for CAM, in order to offset the operating cost they run advertisements that also scan and collect information on you. Key words that you type or past websites you have visited. Practically every website does the same….some more than others. Do you bank online? Do you know what information your bank is collecting about you? You maybe surprised!! You also own a smartphone correct? Not only does it collect information about you, it knows your exact whereabouts. That’s even more invasive than giving Warner Bros an email address and logging into a website with a dynamic IP that will change.

You are not alone with your privacy concerns. But to play in this new digital age a certain level of acceptance is needed.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:51 am 

sthomas1049 wrote:
Audio_Guy wrote:

And what information do you think Warner Bros can obtain that has not already been gathered by every other website you have visited?

As for CAM, in order to offset the operating cost they run advertisements that also scan and collect information on you. Key words that you type or past websites you have visited. Practically every website does the same….some more than others. Do you bank online? Do you know what information your bank is collecting about you? You maybe surprised!! You also own a smartphone correct? Not only does it collect information about you, it knows your exact whereabouts. That’s even more invasive than giving Warner Bros an email address and logging into a website with a dynamic IP that will change.

You are not alone with your privacy concerns. But to play in this new digital age a certain level of acceptance is needed.

That's four questions, pick one.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:03 am 

Audio_Guy wrote:

Better check your Linux boxes for they are displaying an ID-10T user error!

As I have said before…grow up! :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:57 am 

sthomas1049 wrote:
Audio_Guy wrote:

Better check your Linux boxes for they are displaying an ID-10T user error!

As I have said before…grow up! :roll:

Mr. sthomas1049

Don't be angry, I am willing to give you one thoughtful answer for each thoughtful question. At this time I need to limit you to one question at a time until you get a handle on the thoughtful part. I promise to make some time to work through this with you. So what would you like to know ?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:01 pm 

Well I tried out the streaming. Some songs refused to keep playing, took 3 or 4 clicks to get the song play through. The play album button doesn't guarantee the album will play through. Interface is a mess, too much screwing around to get something to play.

All in all once you get things going it can sound very good, but it's not really "streaming" if you have to sit there and babysit.

Meh, I might get through an album or two before the June deadline.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:49 pm 

The commercial failure of Pono aside Neil strikes me as a savvy businessman who knows that a large % of the public wants UHQ recordings at a easy to bear cost and he's trying to deliver it to us. Maybe the future of music delivery is a higher quality than Tidal subscription based monthly fee where you can subscribe, like cable, to those genres/musicians you want.

As long as there's choice, not an Apple like monopoly and the quality is high enough I'm ok with that. But I'm a flat-earther who still mostly listens to vinyl so what do I know?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:55 pm 

Thank you for sharing, this is great for Neil Young fans!

Anyone concerned about giving an email address should read the privacy policies of google, facebook and WhatsApp and you will stop using them!

Neil is not going steal your privacy...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:29 am 

Regarding album playback without having to cue up every song - I haven't had a problem with this at all. I click into the album marker (album tabs are all centred in the virtual filing cabinet), start the first song of the album and let it do its thing until the album is finished. Playback in HD works well through my internet plan, save a few moments here and there. I'm really impressed that Neil made his entire catalogue available in such high quality. Playing back through my DAC every file sounds as good as the 24/192 files I purchase from HD Tracks and the like for top dollar.

Really and unbelievable thing to put together ..

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:23 am 

Well I took the plunge, I must admit it is a slick web site and the sound is very good (44.1K). Is anyone getting 96/24 or 192/24 ?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:06 am 

Neil's site is delivering all the bits necessary for full 192/24 but it is being down sampled at my end to 44.1/16. I need to **** around with this to see if I can fix it. It still sounds good.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:36 am 

Where are you seeing 44.1/16?
I get...

Attachments:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 626.52 KiB | Viewed 59 times ]