Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
 Post subject: Re: Has it come to this?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:38 am 

Lots of clucking about the vintage prices....

How about the the 'ridiculousness' of the lowely 4' power cord...
http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649397966-audience-au24-sx-hp-power-cord-4-feet/

Still only $800/foot....

Mint, only used once....but 40% off the orignal $1300.00/foot retail.
A $100 an INCH.

Makes the vintage prices look pretty fantastic.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:59 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

eddiel wrote:
Teo Audio wrote:
Kenwood KR-9505, they are asking ...$5k US. sure thing..... (I've actually got one of those...So that means I can ask $6kUS, right? right?)
Sansui G-33000, they are asking....$15k US. ok.....

Wow.

How much would those two normally go for, even at the top end e.g. mint condition.

-- 07 Dec 2017 15:20 --

warhorse wrote:
I know I saw on ebay a couple years ago a Pioneer SX-1280 go for $3700 US
the heart wants what the heart wants

True. Maybe if I sell my SX-850 or SX-939 I'll have some bidders with hearts that want my stuff!

As my friend once said "How come the crazy spenders never show up for my auctions?" :)

One can check on these things (real world sell prices) at hifishark

https://www.hifishark.com/

We find that the real 'sell' points are where they have always been, with a bit added in for inflation as the clock ticks... all normal.

eg, About $1900 cdn or about $1600US for a SX1280.

As for my Kenwood KR-9050, about $2k cdn on the high side.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:11 am 

Teo Audio wrote:
We find that the real 'sell' points are where they have always been, with a bit added in for inflation as the clock ticks... all normal.

I do not agree with this at all.

I am very careful about what I buy and my "low end" items have increased 100-200% over ten years.
My high end items have increased probably 50%.

What is worse, is the nice items are disappearing. They have either gone to local collectors or the far east.

As someone who also buys guitars, the rule is buy it now because it will not be getting any cheaper *if you know what you are buying".
Crap will always be crap and some items will always reduce in value as their unicorn magic wears out.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:38 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

mdl_tor wrote:
Teo Audio wrote:

I do not agree with this at all.

I am very careful about what I buy and my "low end" items have increased 100-200% over ten years.
My high end items have increased probably 50%.

What is worse, is the nice items are disappearing. They have either gone to local collectors or the far east.

As someone who also buys guitars, the rule is buy it now because it will not be getting any cheaper *if you know what you are buying".
Crap will always be crap and some items will always reduce in value as their unicorn magic wears out.

Perhaps I did not state it (my meaning) clearly enough, my bad.

that the crazy numbers in the premium or hard to find 'desirable' items was not sustainable and not real. That the numbers, the real ones, are as collector markets have always been, and yes, that the lower end vintage stuff is where the big increases are happening. Hifishark shows that trend clearly, via a series of searches on any number of vintage premium or vintage 'midline' items.

It's a people thing, one might say. People want the vintage gear, they are sequentially (tick tick in the trending) as a group, coming into the market, and buy what they can afford. In this case or market, it is mid-line stuff that has not had the increases that the 'exceptional' items would have already experienced.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:15 pm 

Sasklite wrote:
Lots of clucking about the vintage prices....

How about the the 'ridiculousness' of the lowely 4' power cord...
http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649397966-audience-au24-sx-hp-power-cord-4-feet/

Still only $800/foot....

Mint, only used once....but 40% off the orignal $1300.00/foot retail.
A $100 an INCH.

Makes the vintage prices look pretty fantastic.

it's funny how many people laugh or scoff at pricing on vintage gear but never blink an eye at paying stupid prices for copper wire

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:46 am 

Back to the OP's original point...

Yes, I agree some people do ask too much for restored gear, and that drags up the price for "lessor" units. It is a free market though, the bubble will eventually burst when nobody wants to pay the big bucks anymore.

What gets me more is how much people are willing to pay for unrestored units. Sure, you can buy a 2230 "serviced" for $300 but what then? I works fine for a little while then starts acting up. You take it to a shop and they repair only the fault and get it working again for say $200. Maybe in the future something else goes wrong unrelated to the original failure. Back to the shop it goes. All the while you've never heard what the amp was supposed to sound like because there was a couple of dried out caps in the pre-amp nobody considered because it was "working fine and sounding good".

Our beloved pieces have gotten old. There is a wealth of knowledge out there as to which components are becoming troublesome. 2SA725-726-798, 2SC458-313, fuse resistors, VD1212 diodes, corrosive glue, etc,etc,etc... You just never can tell if one of these will bite you and render your beloved music maker useless.

It's a very rare thing when I bought a "working" unit that actually fully worked. Just about every piece I've bought needed attention, that's how I learned to work on them.

For example, I recently purchased a Sansui 990 from a audio shop. I was told it was fully functioning, it just needed a few bulbs. Controls were cleaned and he changed a couple of caps in the pre-amp. I get it home and no FM, dirty controls. I checked the bias, it's low on both channels and won't adjust, two fuse resistors opened up. The protection light didn't go green, a simple carbon resistor. Long story short, it wasn't fully functioning but I didn't care. I was the perfect buyer for that piece. It's been on my bucket list for a while and I'm very happy to have it. It wasn't a score but a fair price for a mostly working unit. I got exactly what I expected. It's "working great" now but I'll likely go through it this winter and replace every trouble maker I can find and enjoy it for years to come. If in the future something fails, I'll know what it's probably not.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9