Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:16 pm 

shawnwes wrote:
Sitting here listening to this at 33.33 rpm that I've just taken out of the shrinkwrap (BTW this lp has the best inner sleeve I've come across - like high gloss Kodak photo stock).

I'm a happy music lover. The equipment is only the necessary means to get good recorded playback of the music. Yeah man !!!! :D

My system is humble by high end standards but has pretty good synergy and I can get lost in the music soundstage but better sound is always better & recently I got the bug to start changing a few things so in the last couple of weeks have purchased:

LP Gear Vivid Line stylus upgrade for my Shure M97xe cartridge (in transit be here this week)
Original tonearm mounting plate for my Ariston RD 11 Superieur to replace my home-made acrylic currently on it (in transit from AUS)
Pair of bi-wire speaker cables (at 5% of original retail price)- found at my local flea-market where I get my eggs - which are a big improvement over the basic cable I was using before.

More to come soon.

Enjoy the music. That's what this hobby is all about.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:30 pm 

I've been in this hobby for over 40 years, and yes, I'm happy with both my 2 channel system and my LR system.

Since I upgraded my Oracle to Mk 6 specs, my 2 channel system sounds awesome.

Recently I changed to mani-2s and a Krell 402e for my LR system and it too is awesome.

What's next - I'm starting to think my phono stage(s) are due for an update. I've been pondering all sorts of much nicer phono sections including Boulder, AR Ref 2 SE and Manley Steelhead. I'm just getting a little worried about which system to upgrade first. The LR system is really killing it with the Krell, but the new Delphi upgrades in the 2 ch system are making me want to upgrade that system first.

Oh well, I'm sure it'll be fun to figure this next part out.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:02 am 

shawnwes wrote:
Sitting here listening to this at 33.33 rpm that I've just taken out of the shrinkwrap (BTW this lp has the best inner sleeve I've come across - like high gloss Kodak photo stock).

I'm a happy music lover. The equipment is only the necessary means to get good recorded playback of the music.

My system is humble by high end standards but has pretty good synergy and I can get lost in the music soundstage but better sound is always better & recently I got the bug to start changing a few things so in the last couple of weeks have purchased:

LP Gear Vivid Line stylus upgrade for my Shure M97xe cartridge (in transit be here this week)
Original tonearm mounting plate for my Ariston RD 11 Superieur to replace my home-made acrylic currently on it (in transit from AUS)
Pair of bi-wire speaker cables (at 5% of original retail price)- found at my local flea-market where I get my eggs - which are a big improvement over the basic cable I was using before.

More to come soon.

Enjoy the music. That's what this hobby is all about.

Oh man am i glad to see your post. I've been listening to all her albums for the better part of the last year, vinyl and digital. Her voice and my gear give me goosebumps like i never tought it could be possible just listening to music. LP gear is a Rega 2016 Planar 3 with Denon 103r, amp is a Yamaha A-S1100, speakers are Focal Aria 936 hooked up with Transparent Plus cables, Dac is Moon 280D.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:34 am 
Premium User

Now that I've just upgraded my cartridge I am a happy camper. Maybe I will now spend less time hanging out on CAM scanning the classifieds and more time listening to music sans distractions. Nah!

Clearaudio Concept Wood turntable with Satisfy arm
Concept MC cartridge
IPhono 2 phono preamp
Marantz CD 6005 CDP
Macbook Pro streaming Tidal
Hegel H300 integrated amp
Speaker cables made by CAMer Deltadoggy
Generic interconnects
Focal Electra 1008 Be standmounts sitting on an old but very heavy Sonus Faber adjustable speaker stands
JL Audio E110 sub

I have noodled on getting a second JLA sub but not sure my room could handle it. 95% of my listening is vinyl and 95% of that is rock (broadly speaking). Tidal is great for "auditioning" albums I am thinking about buying. The CDP is for my legacy CD collection but really, it has been usurped by Tidal. The Macbook was a hand-me-down from my son, who needed something newer for university. But wiping the hard drive and reinstalling the OS breathed new life into a 6 yr old laptop, although it is too old to run the Tidal App.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:59 am 

I purchased a Rega Planar 2 w/Carbon cartridge and Totem Rainmaker speakers at the beginning of June. My previous turntable needed work and I had stopped listening to music for a number of years.

I'm very happy with my current system. I find the Rega to be very musical and the Carbon sets the bar pretty high IMHO. Every time I think of upgrading the cartridge, the Carbon rises to the occasion and I just end up buying more records. I'm also enjoying the plug and play nature of the Rega. I listen past its shortcomings.

Even the Project phono stage gets mediocre reviews, but it sounds pretty good to me.

I sometimes think I don't have enough Hi-end exposure but then I put on a good album and I don't really have any complaints.

For some reason I've always preferred vinyl to any other format. I've owned R2R and high end cassette decks and CD players and I've always preferred vinyl.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:34 am 

I'm happily satisfied with both my 2 channel and HT systems (which just had a major upgrade - new LG 65" B7 OLED, Anthem AVM 60 and Oppo 203 - all wife enthusiastically approved to boot).

I "finished" my 2 channel system earlier this year with a headphone upgrade (Audeze LCD-2) and an upgrade to a PS Audio P10 power regenerator to power my PS Audio BHK 250 amp, BHK Signature pre-amp and Directstream DAC, which feed Dynaudio C1s and Rel T7 subwoofer. Bass traps and 4 absorption panels (first reflection points and 2 on the front wall) in the room with the 2 channel system. Directstream is feed by a regular Cat 7 ethernet cable from my router and I use Roon as my control for both the Directstream and the PS PWD dac that is in the HT system. The sound of the 2 channel system is simply glorious.

The only thing that I would like are larger rooms for both systems, but that will likely have to wait until retirement (8 to 10 years away) and the move out of the city (Mississauga). Equipment wise, I don't see any changes coming for quite a while - but then I've said that more once over the years and yet I still find myself somehow ending up with new equipment. This time it will different, yes siree.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:08 am 

I will say I am happy. But, I am always on the hunt for something different to try.

In the beginning... I was happy with my Sony table, built in phono and philips surround sound set to 2.1 channel... Boy, how far was I off the mark.

Upgraded to a Integra 5.1 with phono input. Night and day difference. Still sounded shitty for most LPs, though...

Upgraded to a Technics with P mount tonearm and no adjustability. But, I did upgrade the cart to an Ortofon 540U... Little had changed from the stock Technics cart, except maybe slightly better tracking.

Upgraded to a Rega RP-3 with Elys2... Much better and smoother sounding. Eventually thought the cart wasn't that great. Upgraded to an Exact. Much more detailed, yet still smooth. Lovely combo. Got a Cambridge 640A and 540P. Sounded dull and lifeless with the Exact... Demo'd a Graham Slee Era Gold and Reflex M... Liked them both, but due to cost constraint ended up with the Era Gold. Sounded MUCH more open and full compraed to the Cambridge phono...

Sold the PSB speakers, and bought a pair of Focal's. Was finally hitting a sweet spot. Upgraded cables to Kimber all around. Even better, but much more subtle.

Bought several other decks over the years. Kept the Rega. Bought a Michell Tecnodec. Used a Denon DL110, Dynavector DV10x as well as several others. Currently swapped out the Exact for a Ortofon Bronze on my Rega. Both are very competitive with one another and sound great. Purchased an additional integrated amp from Rotel for the Tecnodec and Dyna. Bought a pair of Tannoy Signature 6 bookshelves for this setup and Ultralink cable. Have been contemplating upgrading the cable in this setup as well, but unsure what to go with next.

I guess that you could say I am happy, but happy with changing things as long as it is an improvement. The Tannoys are much more pricey than the Focals... Could one argue that they need a better amp to bring out the best in them? I find the Focals much more neutral. There seems to be a weird bump in the low end of the Tannoys that isn't in the Focals but then maybe a dip somewhere in the midband of the Tannoys. Though, I think the Tannoys look nicer and fit the room that they are in better.

I also own a pair of Monitor Audio Silver RX2s that have the 8" woofer. I thought I'd like this more, and it would sound more like a tower speaker. But, I find it has just a tad bit more bass response in sacrifice of a neutral mid-band... It doesn't do justice to the vocals most of the time.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:15 am 

Yes

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:31 pm 

Mostly yes - especially since i made some big changes recently. My digital end needs some work still.

This does not mean that i will not pursue imorovements from time to time -but i am pretty happy when i get home and turn on my system.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:09 pm 

Incredibly so!
When these notifications started coming in I thought, what? I must have posted something here but when? 10 years ago is when!
Man how things have changed as I had to sell that system then another due to employment or lack of it. I have never been able to use the word texture before while describing how it sounds.
So yes I am very very happy. And when these new speakers wires are totally burned in I know I will be even more so

Peace

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:10 pm 

I am quite happy. I've found over the years my cost has gone down while quality of sound has improved.

iFi Audio Micro iDSD, iTube, iUSBPower
Polk Audio RTi-A9 x2
Paradigm PDR-100 x2
MacPro Tower / iPad Mini
APC H15

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6