Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:02 am 

I don't really like that approach

with iTunes you can maintain your library in lossless and have it automatically reencoded smaller (256kbs apple) when you sync it. Very fast. You needn't maintain separate versions.

also when syncing you can select 'all music' or 'selected music' so you don't overflow your portable device

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:05 am 

@Bandy, it would help me if I could be sure that I was not throwing away information by doing this.

Bandy wrote:
On your iMac, convert your music library to mp3 for smaller file size, then move to new playlist.
Hope this helps.

Do you mean I should create a new iTunes library, with the same music in it but in MP3 format ? Or do you mean I should reformat my existing iTunes library, which has some hi-res files in it that I paid for ?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:10 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

A question for the OP...

Is sound quality important to you or, are you okay with MP3 and BT?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:00 pm 

Toby wrote:
@Bandy, it would help me if I could be sure that I was not throwing away information by doing this.

Bandy wrote:
On your iMac, convert your music library to mp3 for smaller file size, then move to new playlist.
Hope this helps.

Do you mean I should create a new iTunes library, with the same music in it but in MP3 format ? Or do you mean I should reformat my existing iTunes library, which has some hi-res files in it that I paid for ?

MP3 = smaller file size than lossless = throwing info away = lower sonic quality.
If you follow the instructions, iTunes should create a COPY of original in mp3 format which you then move to selected playlist for syncing with iPhone.
Try 1st with one file. It works with iTunes 11.4, OSX 10.6.8 YMMV.

-- 13 Dec 2017 20:02 --

LaSalle wrote:
I don't really like that approach

with iTunes you can maintain your library in lossless and have it automatically reencoded smaller (256kbs apple) when you sync it. Very fast. You needn't maintain separate versions.

also when syncing you can select 'all music' or 'selected music' so you don't overflow your portable device

Automatic re-encoding during sync does not work with all versions of iTunes and iOS. If it works for you, great, if not you can do it the way I described.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:35 pm 

My iTunes is the latest version that runs on Windows 7. My IOS is old - on an iPhone 4s. That combination works.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:31 am 

I use a Mac program called Waltr. It allows you to transfer any type of file to your iPhone/iPad etc. Then use a music app like Fiio or Onkyo to play the files from your iPhone. Should work like a charm.