Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:01 am 

These are good headphones. I like them. These are my impressions after using them for 48 hours, keeping in mind that they are not yet broken in.

These headphones are very smooth and phenomenal with vocals. They lack speed, I have noticed. I don't know if that'll improve when they break in. Metal passages with lightning fast 'machinegun' playing of the kick drum are not clearly defined enough for me. People actually suggested these to me for metal and I have to say I am let down with their performance in this genre. My trashy Grado SR 80s handle metal with more aplomb than these cans do, albeit with less resolution and fidelity.

The best sounding things I have heard on these headphones so far are Diana Krall and Lorde. Lail Arad sounds very good also. In fact, female vocals in general sound smoother than silk and spectacularly real. With lounge/jazz type music the smoothness of these headphones really makes those recordings come alive. They are smooth- but not to the point of smearing things. If a singer has a bit of grain in their voice the way Diana Krall does with certain notes- you can totally hear it with these headphones. Much more so, in fact, than with any headphones I have previously owned (SR 80, SR 225i, Denon 2000).

One area I'm finding that these headphones excel in is analog synth. Anything synth heavy from the 80s sounds absolutely insanely good. Synth in general actually sounds good. Fuzz bass sounds ridiculous on these. Just fantastic. Iggy Azlea (I know...I listen to it. Don't make fun of me) "Fancy" sounds just spectacular.

Where these headphones fail, perhaps due to their high resolution, is with poorly mastered music, or with low quality files. I'll never be able to listen to another MP3 again. And spotify is ruined for me. Both those sources sound so condensed and lacking in depth and soundstage on the 400is. Almost to the extent of being painful to listen to. Even Tidal, with its FLAC playback, does not sound that terrific. I find that to really make these headphones shine I need to be listening to 88Khz or better FLAC/WAV, or better yet, DSD files. Diana Krall and Lorde at 192Khz sound so good it is beyond me how I can explain it without saying "you should go listen to these headphones".

If you have the high resolution music library to support them, and the proper equipment, I think you would definitely enjoy these headphones.

Did you know Michael Jackson says "Chawachapachawa" over the symbals in "Speed Demon"? Neither did I until just now. Seriously good headphones from a company I had never heard of before.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:40 am 

With all the new headphones hitting the market right now, I believe the HE400's are some of the best value for money on the used market.

Amps: Mac MC7270, MX205
Headphone amps: Glenn 300B, Woo WA22
Speakers: B&W 805S, B&W 804S
Phones: LCD-3F

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:39 am 
Premium User

Are these impressions through the headphone out of your integrated?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:12 pm 

Yes through my Marantz pm5005. Haven't heard these with a real amp yet.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:16 am 
Premium User

These cans are terrific with hard rock and metal when properly driven. Integrated might be loud enough but it can't drive the 400i's with authority. Trust me when I say that any inexpensive headphone amp will outperform your Marantz's headphone out and then you won't be complaining about these cans not rocking. It's like your putting low octane fuel in a sports car and then wondering where all the power went. Happy Listening and like I mentioned check out Head-Fi as many newbies buy good cans run them out of their integrated headphone out and then complain about a lack of authority, dynamics and bass slam. The answer is inevitably get a headphone amp.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:37 am 

I run a Bryston BHA-1 headphone amp with my HE-500's. Highly recommended, but as others have said, take a look on Head-Fi for other options.

Amps: Mac MC7270, MX205
Headphone amps: Glenn 300B, Woo WA22
Speakers: B&W 805S, B&W 804S
Phones: LCD-3F

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:42 am 

I intend to buy a real amp when the funds are available. Also considering an a&k mobile player and mobile amp.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:10 pm 

Now that I've had these for four days I can confidently say that they are the best, most revealing loudspeaker or headphone I have ever heard in my life. I can't wait to get a proper headphone amp and an upgraded cable for them.

Thanks to everyone who mentioned them to me as I was not even aware that they existed.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:41 pm 

mistersprinkles wrote:
Now that I've had these for four days I can confidently say that they are the best, most revealing loudspeaker or headphone I have ever heard in my life. I can't wait to get a proper headphone amp and an upgraded cable for them.

Thanks to everyone who mentioned them to me as I was not even aware that they existed.

Like I suggested earlier, don't audition the HE-560. I am happy that I a.) can't afford them, well i can but.... and b.) I don't listen to headphones indoors at all. They are that good, and Hifiman make two models that are supposedly even better than the 560, but I haven't heard either of those models, the HE-6 and the HE-1000. I have seen a few used pairs of 560's listed on CAM over the last couple of months,for reasonable prices, and I would be lying if I said i wasn't tempted despite the fact that I virtually never listen to headphones indoors. At Taves, last November, I as able to do a direct comparison between the HE-560's and the Grado 1000's, can't remember which 1,000's as Grado has two flagship headphones with almost identical model names, and the venerable Sennheiser HD-800. Personal choice, I would take the HE-560 over either of them anytime.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:23 pm 
Premium User

I gave my 560's the full jerg mod (check Head-Fi) and compared them to a stock pair at Headfoneshop and was blown away by how much of a difference the mod made. A clear upgrade over a stock pair. This same modification can be made to your pair of 400i's and I highly recommend it.

Just some insight into the HE-6 as they were mentioned earlier. Unfortunately they have such low efficiency (83db I beleive) that they cannot be properly driven off a headphone amp and the few that can sufficiently drive them cost upwards of $1500 or more. Most HE-6 owners over at HF actually use speaker amps to drive them. So while the 6's may be a better performing can than the 560's, their low efficiency combined with their weight and their need for the fuzzor mod to tame their slightly hot treble make them a impractical solution for many headphone enthusiasts.

Then you have the HE-1k at..cough..$3k..but while they're terrific cans many on HF have complained with a lack of authority with them stating that while they're great for classical and acoustic music they don't excell with the more rocking genres. Some highly respected HF members actually prefer their HE-6's to the HE-1K's!

To the fellow running a BHA-1, I had one as well but have since moved on to the Gustard H10 w/ad797 & lm4562 opamps. I will probably end up purchasing Bryston's next headphone amp offering but for now I find the H10 gets me 95% of the BHA-1's sound for one quarter the price! Hard to believe I know but it's a giant killer of an amp. You can rundown my current/past gear over at HF (same username) just to give you an idea of where I'm coming from. Happy Listening Everyone!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:41 pm 

Are HIFIMAN Headphones sold in the Toronto area?
Would love to audition them.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:28 pm 

Fairview Hi Fi in Burlington sells HFman they have a good promotion on the 400i

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:20 am 

gkella wrote:
Are HIFIMAN Headphones sold in the Toronto area?
Would love to audition them.

I think Headfoneshop on Yonge is a Hifiman dealer.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:38 pm 

Thanks guys..
Hoping for Boxing Day sale.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:48 pm 

I own a pair of these and absolutely love them.

I saw about a month ago that Summit Hifi had these on sale for $349 or so (Black Friday?). I wonder if they'll drop again post-Christmas. Such a great deal if it comes back. I bought mine off someone on CAM about a year ago for quite a bit more than that...

What does the jerg mod do to the sound?