Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:34 am 

Folks,
Reviewed the forum posts but did not see a topic addressing this issue. I need to gain a longer connection to my seating while using the headphones and wonder what others have used and whether there have been SQ issues using extension cables. I know cable topics can be "lively", but this is a topic I have found little discussion on.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:56 am 

I haven't used extension cables with decent headphones (only inexpensive ones), so I can't comment on SQ effects. However, I know quite a few people re-cable their headphones to modify sound profile or add detachable cables, so I imagine feedback on that would be relevant to you. I'm not suggesting you re-cable your headphones with longer leads (although that could be an option), but you could look into getting a custom extension.

I'd look around at what people are using as leads for re-cabling (brands, model numbers, materials, etc), and use that for your extension. Then, check the connectors they're using, as there's at least one 1/4" or 3.5mm male plug at the device end, with a different male plug at the headphone end of the cable and a matching female jack on the headphone; while you won't necessarily be able to use the same connectors as they are, you can at least check the brand and materials, and find the appropriate connectors for your application. All you need to do then is just pick up the materials and solder up some custom-length extensions.

If you're not comfortable with soldering, you could also contact someone that does re-cabling and ask if they can make a custom-length extension for you; from what I've heard, re-cabling services aren't that expensive, and they require two-way shipping of headphones, plus making the cables and installing the jack in the headphones themselves. By comparison, you just need the cables made and one-way shipping, which I expect would decrease the cost.

Sorry for the long post, but I hope that helps.

ADA SSD-66 (5.1) pre/processor; Bryston 4B (x2) & Hafler 220; Laptop with Steinberg MI-4 and Cambridge Audio DAC Magic; Furman power conditioner; Focal Chorus 705V's, Polk Audio RT-15's, and an Energy center speaker.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:15 am 

I use an extension for my phones. I didn't go all out with a pricey name brand extension as I don't use my phones enough to justify it for me. The Grado extension is $60 though, which I would have likely purchased except I also need an adapter from 3.5 to 1/4, so I purchased what seemed like the best cable offered at The Source with that configuration.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:14 am 

I use the grado extension with my hifiman 560s and find it acceptable. Now my headphones have been upgraded with a cable replacement but I enjoy the sound and find them to be a great improvement over the AKG 701's I had before, I used them with the supplied longer cable. This is all subject to your ears of course.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:20 am 

I have Sennheiser HD650 phones and ordered their own extension cord HZR62.
I use it all the time, because it has volume control, extremely handy for listening to Tape decks or CD players without output Vol. control for their headphone jacks. I can also listen to my stereo setup without bothering anybody, and still sit in my favorite chair. It's quite long, but I haven't measured it.
Ott.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:28 am 

I found the Grado extension worked well with Grados but not Sennheisers. Something about the jack doesn't work well with a non Grado plug. I got an extension from TakeFive Audio that works well and is reasonably priced. It sounds very good with my Beyer DT 1770 Pro's.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:53 pm 

Folks,
Thank you for the responses and experiences. I saw the Grado extension, but was't sure how brand specific it was, but now realize that it could be more universal than first thought. I also found the Take Five Audio site and am considering ordering an extension cable from them although balking at the price considering Bay Bloor Radio has a 10 foot unit for quite a bit cheaper. They also have an Audioquest cable for a $100 but was'nt sure if others have used that brand and their level of satisfaction. I am reluctant to consider re-cabling the cans as I just bought them and don't want to get into a major modification just yet or toy with the warranty by doing so. It has been interesting that there is so little on this topic on the audio sites.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:30 pm 

+ 1 for the Grado extension , but I am using Grado's so don't know how the connection could not work with other phones unless the plug is a different diameter ?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:56 am 

JFraser wrote:
+ 1 for the Grado extension , but I am using Grado's so don't know how the connection could not work with other phones unless the plug is a different diameter ?

Now that I think back about it the cable had been unused for a long time - at least five years. I had sold my Grado's and didn't use cans for a long time before buying a pair of 650's. It could have been age and oxidization.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:27 am 

Grado. Works quite well with my headphones, Sennheiser, Audio Technica, Tascam, Sony.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:34 am 

You could try contacting Take 5 Audio. He may be able to build a better option than you could possibly buy pre-made

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:44 am 

Yes, Take Five Audio makes good stuff, and the same goes for Audio sensibility, another cam Dealer.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:09 am 

https://www.takefiveaudio.com/products/ ... o-treated/

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:13 am 

A Gavin wrote:
I am reluctant to consider re-cabling the cans as I just bought them and don't want to get into a major modification just yet or toy with the warranty by doing so. It has been interesting that there is so little on this topic on the audio sites.

Just to clarify: I wasn't necessarily suggesting you re-cable your headphones (unless you wanted to). My actual suggestion was to simply make your own extension cable, using the same components as used in re-cabling headphones; 95% of it will be the same components as re-cabling (the male 3.5mm or 1/4" plug, and the cable itself), and then you simply need a decent female 3.5 mm (or 1/4", depending on what your headphones use) connector on the other end. I would use the same brand, model, and materials for the female end as the male end.

I'm not saying you shouldn't buy an extension from Take Five or anyone (not that I have personal experience), I'm just saying there is the option to get (or make) custom-made cables as well.

ADA SSD-66 (5.1) pre/processor; Bryston 4B (x2) & Hafler 220; Laptop with Steinberg MI-4 and Cambridge Audio DAC Magic; Furman power conditioner; Focal Chorus 705V's, Polk Audio RT-15's, and an Energy center speaker.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:47 am 

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B01CNAV1K ... ref=plSrch

Why not buy a cheap one and decide for yourself if it makes a difference. Might save a bunch of money!