Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:43 am 

mahatma1 wrote:
My two main pairs of headphones:
Audio Technica ATH M50X-38 ohms
Sennheiser HD 598-50 ohms

You'll probably find the Schiit is quieter, with better dynamic slam and nuance. The Bryston might have better fidelity, but it's not getting through with those.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:48 am 

ripblade wrote:
mahatma1 wrote:
My two main pairs of headphones:
Audio Technica ATH M50X-38 ohms
Sennheiser HD 598-50 ohms

You'll probably find the Schiit is quieter, with better dynamic slam and nuance. The Bryston might have better fidelity, but it's not getting through with those.

I'm thinking maybe its time to get the Magni back from my buddy.
I've been considering a couple pairs of headphones, as it turns out both are low impedence designs (35 and 26 ohms)
Yeah, time to bring the Magni home.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:34 am 

mahatma1 wrote:
Yeah, time to bring the Magni home.
It's the only way you're going to find out. Speculation can only take you so far....and it might even be in the wrong direction...who knows?

I'm curious to know how this goes...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:46 am 

mahatma1 wrote:
... The Bryston might have better fidelity, but it's not getting through with those.

Tend to agree; even if your Bryston is a good head amp, you'd need better headphones to detect that.

If it does not say so (and it does not in the advertising blurb for the Bryston), then it's not got a distinct & dedicated head amp section for your 'phones; but on a 3000+$ unit, it still cannot be too bad IMHO.

I'm learning too all about this sphere, with a highly modded separate Creek head amp. Different, yes, but better...?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:29 pm 

The Bryston has two of their discrete opamps for a headphone driver.

Gary

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:45 pm 

I just texted my friend and somewhat reluctantly he is packing up the Magni and sending it this way.
I'm really curious how this will shake out.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:37 am 

mahatma1 wrote:
I just texted my friend and somewhat reluctantly he is packing up the Magni and sending it this way.
I'm really curious how this will shake out.

So am I! Please keep us updated.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:02 am 

Me too - very curious to hear the outcome
jp

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:41 am 

Just a quick update. The Magni 2 arrived intact. It will be a couple weeks until I'm ready to sit down and listen critically.
I've been a bit under the weather and the meds have left my hearing, for lack of a better word, "foggy".
The Doc says its normal and the situation will right itself. Still it's very annoying, things sound like listening through ear muffs.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:55 am 

mahatma1 wrote:
Just a quick update. The Magni 2 arrived intact. It will be a couple weeks until I'm ready to sit down and listen critically.
I've been a bit under the weather and the meds have left my hearing, for lack of a better word, "foggy".
The Doc says its normal and the situation will right itself. Still it's very annoying, things sound like listening through ear muffs.

Welcome to my world.

In my case, it's called failing hearing acuity due to old age.

Double-damn!

del Sol

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:19 am 

My hearing isn't quite up to snuff yet but it's almost there. I couldn't resist giving things a quick test listen.
I used Roger Waters- Is this the life we really want?
Headphones-Audio Technica ATH M50X.
Don't read a lot into this but if I'm doing the scoring (and I am), it's the Schiit by a majority of one decision.
There's a lot of the dialogue buried just under the music and I can hear it and understand it much more clearly with the Schiit than with the Bryston.
HOWEVER- fiddling about with the Bryston's remote volume control does make a difference. I could easily get the volume I liked with the Bryston but found I was constantly wanting to adjust the Schiit.
The Schiit seems to be more incisive (maybe detailed is a better word) but I wound up listening longer to the Bryston. :?
A few more albums will help sort this out, I hope.
FWIW I used a Cambridge Audio 651C on it's own and an Arcam cd92 with its output into a Cambridge Audio DAC Magic 100.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:46 pm 

I'm not really sure how these two are even being compared, the price difference is staggering...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:58 am 

msommers wrote:
I'm not really sure how these two are even being compared, the price difference is staggering...

I think it is interesting. This demonstrates that attention must be given toward proper headphone amplification should that be of a concern to the user. As a consumer we are led to believe that a low impedance/easy to drive headphone can be powered by pretty much any headphone output. It comes as no surprise that the +$3k Bryston has more control over the volume – it’s volume pot alone is no doubt worth more than the Magni 2. But mahatma1’s simple test somewhat proves that although the $100 Schiit falls short in some area’s, it does provide greater detail probably due to it’s reduced distortion as a result of it’s lower output impedance.

Grant it, plugging in a set of headphones with a higher impedance maybe a better match for the Bryston, but as a consumer why should we be limited to what we can pair with a $3000 preamplifier – especially given the amount of great headphones out there that fall in the ~30ohm range (Looking at you Grado!!).

Headphone amplification is not rocket science – Schiit has proven that with it’s excellent yet affordable range of amplifiers. It would cost next to nothing for those manufactures who already include a headphone out on their pre and integrated products to implement a HP output with a low enough output impedance that would be a better match to the vast majority of headphones that are on the market. Otherwise, why even bother with a headphone out and then pass that savings onto the consumer!