Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 6:49 am 

gwestwoodnurse wrote:
For music.I only use them on the highway for long trips.

As many others have said, very bad idea to have headphones in while doing any type of driving, particularly a motorcycle.
I do encourage hearing protection though, particularly when doing a lot of highway driving - the extended wind noise can and does cause permanent hearing damage.
My friend and I who ride together frequently are looking for a communications solution, but this is definitely single ear, and not for listening to music.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 7:58 am 

You will find that noise cancellation/attention tends to fall into two types;
passive and active.

Bose et al offer the active sort, while earplugs with speakers in them, such as Shure, etc form the passive contingent.

I have a number of pairs of Etymotics and these are really terrific IEM's.
Not for everyone though as I have a number of fellow musician friends who can't stand the fit of them.

You may want to find a way to try some different brands for two reasons; each manufacturers fit/shape is different and this may be a prime consideration and the length of the insert itself will likely be an issue with regards to integrating with your existing helmet.

I run a pair of Etymotic ER-6 with my Shoei GT-Air and this combo works well on the highway.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 10:26 am 

davinci_redux wrote:
Anything that distracts a motorcyclist is at best a stupid idea. I spent many years as an instructor and chief instructor/examiner in NS for the CSC safety courses and motorcycling license. My wife and I also lost our eldest daughter in a typical motorcycle accident..... left turn by a car and a momentary distraction by the driver of the bike. No one else was physically hurt, but the damage lives on............... twenty years later I can look at the bikes parked in my garage knowing that I'll never ride again, but incapable of letting them go; every Holiday looking in Lady Kate's face and seeing the pain; each one of our other children robbed of their innocence. And then there's the others.......... her boyfriend driving the bike, the lady making the turn, the friend and neighbour who had to retreive the bike, and saw the young lady that he'd fed candy to for years lying in a ditch.

Always cut the odds in your favour.............especially when riding.

Thank you for sharing your story, Davinci.

At my desk right now: Kavent CD-731, Gallo Stradas, Gallo TR3D Sub, Raysonic SE-30A mk II (winter amp), ShengYa AS90 (summer amp), Dragonfly DAC2

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 11:41 am 

8) I travel a lot on motorcycles. I get on a three weeks trip annually and yes, even wearing the best fullface helmets with front adjustable windshield on the bike, the wind noise is always present and represent a major fatigue element on a lenghty day on the highway. Nothing surpasses the shrieking noise of passing an 18 wheeler on a hot summer day. So if an audiophile, wearing earplugs while on the road is almost mandatory.

I've tried a lot of earplugs but had never tried customized ones. Regular earplugs will cut off high frequencies which are detremental to an audiophile ear. Most will allow the low frequencies to pass so an approaching car will be heard. But I would not use any earplug traveling heavy traffic or within a city. Listening to music while driving, it's a no no to me.