Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 7:32 am 

For those who have motorcycles,what are good ear buds to buy that are comfortable,easy to fit helmut over top, and block the engine and wind noise.Anyone use Bluetooth helmets and what do you think.I did buy a pair of speakers you Velcro into the ear holes on the helmet but they suck.Any input would be great.Budget $50-$100

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 7:56 am 

I thought the helmets all have bluetooth headphones built-in these days no?

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 8:21 am 

Not all of them

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 8:32 am 

First, just let me point out the obvious. The practice of having music playing in your ears while in the operation of a Motorcycle is unsafe. Period. Briefly considered it once then quickly realized that it was not the best idea I ever had. If it is Bluetooth for helmet to helmet communication this is ever so slightly safer and understandable.

Just call me Dad.

Now, having said that I once owned a pair of Hifiman RE-400 IEM's. The housing is very small light and durable. The cable not so much, so you would have to be careful. They are condusive to deep insertion and therefore they will be out of the way when putting on a helmet. Bonus, they sound great. They do retail for just slightly over your budget, but if you are patient they do go on sale fairly regularly.

This is the only IEM I can think of that might work. There may be some others specifically designed for this purpose from dedicated motorcycle accessory manufacturers.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 9:24 am 

Funny that this should pop up here as I spend a lot of time on m/c forums. I've had in ear speakers for a long time, and I use them less and less. I would pop then in on a long trip (highway riding), but I just don't bother with them these days.

The sound quality is excellent (two drivers, high quality materials, custom moulds), and they offer about a 29dB noise reduction, a big bonus on its own.

So yeah, I wouldn't be using them around town. Noise is a distraction, and music is noise (as much as I love these things) :wink:

I have a friend with Bluetooth in his helmet. It shocks me that he feels he needs to be that connected (insecure wife) when he's on a long haul on the highway, let alone answer my call when he's at a gas station!! :roll: He's in the US.

I would NEVER get a Bluetooth for my helmet. Riding requires too much of my focus. It can wait.
The key to good quality sound is to have inner ear speakers. To put it simply, you lose too much base if they're just resting between your helmet and your ear. The other issue is taking the helmet on and off. For those reasons, inner ear speakers win all the time.

PM me if you'd like to discuss further. One of my favourite m/c topics :D

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 9:30 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

The Shure SE ones are my favorite for under my helmet. They fit flush with your ear, so they are not obstructive. They block varying amounts of noise depending on which of the various tips you use. And they fit nice and snug so they never fall out.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 9:54 am 

@ OP - is your intent to communicate with other riders, or is it to listen to music while riding?

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 10:38 am 

For music.I only use them on the highway for long trips.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 11:15 am 

If one of those long trips happens into SWO, would you provide us some advance notice of your route please?

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 12:41 pm 

I don't ride motorcycles, but I do work in a very loud office, and wear a pair of ATH-ANC33iS noise cancelling earbuds.

The best part is that in addition to the little spherical rubber earbuds, they come with dense cylindrical earbuds that are just like the earplugs used by workers in factories. So they block the noise, and you can switch on the powered noise cancelling feature for extra quiet.

I find the noise cancelling algorithm works better for machine noise than voices, so this might work on the highway.

Here is a link to them on Amazon.ca: https://www.amazon.ca/Audio-Technica-Au ... TH-ANC33iS The dense foam earplug buds can be seen in the bottom picture.

I haven't used the built in microphone (In fact I didn't even realize there was a mike until I saw the ad just now), so I can't comment on it's effectiveness in loud environments.

One caveat is that the leads are short. Maybe 18 inches from the music player to the amp box, then maybe 2 feet from the box to the ear buds. You'd have to keep your music player in your jacket pocket.

At my desk right now: Kavent CD-731, Gallo Stradas, Gallo TR3D Sub, Raysonic SE-30A mk II (winter amp), ShengYa AS90 (summer amp), Dragonfly DAC2

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 1:05 pm 
Premium User

Whatever you do, don't travel on a motorcycle wearing noise cancelling (or regular) earbuds in the province of Québec; it is illegal here and will result, at the very least in the loss of several demerit points and, at the worst, an arrest and confiscation of the bike if they find any other transgression like excessive exhaust noise, speeding, passing on the right, etc ... (yes, it has happened here right at the intersection near my home this weekend in an organized Police operation for this exact purpose).

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 7:46 pm 

Having both ears covered while operating a motor vehicle is illegal in, I would guess, most provinces and states. Sometimes, just one ear is allowable. My point is, there's all sorts of yahoos I see driving around with earbuds in both ears, either yakking on their phone or listening to music. Pathetic. :roll: :evil:
If you have them on under your helmet, you're even less likely to be questioned or pulled over. I don't think any of our constabulatory know nor care which section of the law to fine these people under. As long as no one gets hurt, it all seems okay. Although I had to take evasive action once, from getting side-swiped while driving a bus with a wheelchair in it. Young female driver; both ears covered. Customer said "What just happened?"

I never thought I'd have to tell that brief story here. Nothing to do with audio !! :lol:

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 4:04 am 

David O wrote:
I don't think any of our constabulatory know nor care which section of the law to fine these people under. :

It falls under "Distracted Driving". Fine plus 3 points. Most provinces do not explicitly site that it is illegal to wear headphones (BC and Quebec are an exception), but you could be fined if you are deemed distracted from observing the road.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 5:20 am 

Anything that distracts a motorcyclist is at best a stupid idea. I spent many years as an instructor and chief instructor/examiner in NS for the CSC safety courses and motorcycling license. My wife and I also lost our eldest daughter in a typical motorcycle accident..... left turn by a car and a momentary distraction by the driver of the bike. No one else was physically hurt, but the damage lives on............... twenty years later I can look at the bikes parked in my garage knowing that I'll never ride again, but incapable of letting them go; every Holiday looking in Lady Kate's face and seeing the pain; each one of our other children robbed of their innocence. And then there's the others.......... her boyfriend driving the bike, the lady making the turn, the friend and neighbour who had to retreive the bike, and saw the young lady that he'd fed candy to for years lying in a ditch.

Always cut the odds in your favour.............especially when riding.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 5:45 am 

davinci_redux wrote:
Anything that distracts a motorcyclist is at best a stupid idea. I spent many years as an instructor and chief instructor/examiner in NS for the CSC safety courses and motorcycling license. My wife and I also lost our eldest daughter in a typical motorcycle accident..... left turn by a car and a momentary distraction by the driver of the bike. No one else was physically hurt, but the damage lives on............... twenty years later I can look at the bikes parked in my garage knowing that I'll never ride again, but incapable of letting them go; every Holiday looking in Lady Kate's face and seeing the pain; each one of our other children robbed of their innocence. And then there's the others.......... her boyfriend driving the bike, the lady making the turn, the friend and neighbour who had to retreive the bike, and saw the young lady that he'd fed candy to for years lying in a ditch.

Always cut the odds in your favour.............especially when riding.

Very sad story, I feel for your lose.