Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 11:43 am 

interested in theses headphones if you owned or heard them what do you think of AKG K7XX

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 3:16 pm 

they are the best new headphones under 250 cad you can get.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 4:16 pm 

Have been using mine for years, cheapest reference head phones you will ever find. Way under priced for the value T My bad I have the 701's didn't realize they actually modelled an "xx"

Last edited by tsearay on Sat May 06, 2017 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 5:11 pm 

I owned both the AKG K702, the one made in Austria and the AKG K7xx. While I loved the AKG K702, and still do, I ended up selling the AKG K7xx. That is not to say the K7xx is a bad headphone, it is surely not. But, IMHO, I felt the bass is far too boosted on the K7xx in comparison to the more reference tuning of the K702.

If you check out the reviews and most comments online a lot of the head-fi crowd find the treble on the AKG K702 to be too sharp, and certainly, on poorly recorded material or heard through poor matched ancillaries, it is just that, but with well recorded acoustic material and a fairly warm to neutral DAC/headphone amp, it is simply one of my favourite headphones of all time. Not so with the K7xx, it has a fun tuning, but it makes pretty much everything sound like it has an abnormal bass hump. With the K702, you will get quality over quantity, especially in terms of bass. I certainly understand the reasons behind the existence and specific tuning of the K7xx, but if you are really serious about an AKG purchase, I would recommend that you listen to them both side by side to see which one is right for you. The K702 has sort of fallen out of favour, rather unfairly I think, but that is just another reason why you may be able to get something that was originally more expensive than the K7xx and perhaps even a better price than a K7xx.

Cheers!

K.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 3:44 pm 

I bought a pair of K7XX for my dad a couple of years ago (he's a fan of AKG), and a friend of mine had a pair and used to have K701s. To be honest, I found them highly overrated.

They are very dull sounding, lack punch in the bass and don't have the transparency I would expect for the price or reviews. I've tried using them out of a Bottlehead Crack, B22, Stello HP100 and a few other amps, and none of them really change the overall sound of them. They are only suited for certain types of music IMO - try before you buy.

The HD6XX that Massdrop has sold before sounds like a better deal and better all-rounder. Or just stick to speakers :P

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:05 pm 

AKG K7XX owner here (alongside a few other AKG and other brand headphones), contrary to a previous post about them sound "abnormally" Bassy I find the bass on them to be close to perfect but lacking a small amount of both quantity and quality (compared to my Fostex TH600's and Hifiman HE500's). The treble on the other hand Is often times a little to sharp for me and fatiguing, oddly enough the get some of the most overall headtime in my collection due to their versatility.
They pair very well with my Darkvoice 3322 amp as well as my Yamaha CA-600. I would vote against the Sennheiser HD6XX's due to the fact I always found those headphones to be overly warm, laid back and veiled sounding.

Hopefully you can try them before you buy them or get them used at a low enough price that its not risky.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:34 am 

For the price they are very good. Sure, they may not be perfect but they do a lot of things right. I know we all hear differently so contrary to a mention above that they didn't change with different amps, I found that they allowed the signature of the amp to come through.

My best amp pairing with the K7XX is the Musical Paradise MP 301.

If I can find one thing I really don't like it is the tendency for the ear cups to slip down as the tension band is too weak. Not sure if that is common to all of them and inherent to the design or a one-off defect on mine. They are otherwise quite comfortable.