Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:06 am 

Bose has allways had the technology to build some really great stuff ,they just decided to go a different way . This is just another example of that . Sad really.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:20 am 

True enough. They are just going the way of the marketplace. Come on folks, smart fridges collect data on what you've got in your fridge. Your car's Navigation can be used against you. Your credit cars. Your smart phone too, and that's all fine, until Bose does it, then suddenly it's the end of the world with the Bose ranters. Our privacy is gone, don't blame Bose, blame yourselves for continuing to support hundreds of companies that collect data on you.

Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:32 am 
Premium User

I'll just say that one of the best purchases I've ever made was when I bought my Quiet Comfort noise cancelling on the ear headphones about 5 years ago. Works as advertised and the original battery still recharges in a very short period of time. Probably get 8 hours of listening time. Just bought some replacement parts to freshen them up (ear cushions, cord, etc.) but I do a lot of air travel and would dread not having these.

Not cheap but a very good product.
Even better, they are wired. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:48 am 

On the one hand, I agree that Bose-haters, and I'm one of them, don't need much ammunition to start the slag-fest. After all, it seems that every time Bose could have done better for their customers, they chose to do better for their shareholders instead; this is just one more example.
On the other hand, for those of us in the 55+ age group who don't have a smart phone, a fridge with wi-fi, an on-board car nav system, etc., we don't automatically expect companies that sell audio (or at least what Bose sells as audio) to use their products to spy on us and peddle our info to even more spurious companies. So if you're OK with this, fine, but try to understand why other might not be.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:51 pm 

Winter_vinyl wrote:
On the one hand, I agree that Bose-haters, and I'm one of them, don't need much ammunition to start the slag-fest. After all, it seems that every time Bose could have done better for their customers, they chose to do better for their shareholders instead; this is just one more example.
On the other hand, for those of us in the 55+ age group who don't have a smart phone, a fridge with wi-fi, an on-board car nav system, etc., we don't automatically expect companies that sell audio (or at least what Bose sells as audio) to use their products to spy on us and peddle our info to even more spurious companies. So if you're OK with this, fine, but try to understand why other might not be.

Fair enough, and personally I am not okay with gathering data on customers. But I'll bet on top of credit and debit cards, you've got rewards points cards. Again, all of the cards we use are used against us. Bose is one of HUNDREDS of companies that mine data on us. The grocery stores started doing it over 20 years ago. It's funny to see all of this sudden outrage 20 years in.

Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:10 pm 
Premium User

runnin wrote:
Winter_vinyl wrote:

Fair enough, and personally I am not okay with gathering data on customers. But I'll bet on top of credit and debit cards, you've got rewards points cards. Again, all of the cards we use are used against us. Bose is one of HUNDREDS of companies that mine data on us. The grocery stores started doing it over 20 years ago. It's funny to see all of this sudden outrage 20 years in.

Nailed it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:29 pm 

runnin wrote:
Winter_vinyl wrote:

Actually, I don't have any rewards cards, though i do have one credit card. I don't engage in social media ala Facebook, Snapchat, or Twitter, and really try to keep a relatively low profile. Does it help? Who knows.
The real point is that even though you are correct that companies have been collecting data on us for quite a while, this does not, in my opinion, make it OK for companies like Bose to get on that particular bandwagon. Two wrongs don't make a right and a hundred or a thousand other companies doing the same thing still does not make it right. If Bose customers bought their equipment without entering into an informed consent agreement to have their data collected and then shared, it's still wrong. Period.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:08 pm 

Shame on them. There's another company to put into my "avoid" folder.[/quote]

I've been avoiding them for years.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 2:45 pm 

Is it still true what they used to say, "no highs, no lows, it's gotta be Bose?"

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:03 am 

Morning!

As I tend to just jump right in with only a cursory view of where my feet will land....

Just bought the Missus QC35's in Januay (substantially better than the 15's and 25's if you ever tried the earlier ones - not my BeyerDynamics in SQ, but more than acceptable), I never was a BOSE fan nor will I ever convert from my current systems for daily listening.

HOWEVER. The dark magic they have imbued the QC35's with to last 19 hours of battery life on my last trip back and forth across the Atlantic (40% left when I landed at home) is pretty slick.
What really really struck me as a WOW factor though, I did not notice till dinner time (4 hours in) when I took them off there were two crying babies within 3 seats of me. If anyone has traveled with earplugs (custom), IEM's or just big circumaurals, you will know what an achievement this is.

More to the point of the OP, who would ever use a manufactures native app for something (in general and/or without reading the permissions) when the devices will work just peachy without it: iphone via bluetooth to QC35's NP or direct connect via miniplug no app required. 1/2cent of advice, try it without the app first, it usually works (better!)

Oh first posts....(Hi!)