Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:10 am 

Good morning,
I sold off a whack of stuff in order to finance 3 new-to-me sets of headphones. I found two of 3: a used set of Sennheiser Hd800 and a used set of Oppo PM-1s.Both terrific sets with very different sound characteristics.....the hd800 being airy,detailed and agreat sense of clarity...the oppos have intimacy,and the lushness and bass the senns are lacking.

The help I need is advice on headphone #3. It must be open and circumaural.It needs to have detail,clarity,reasonable bass but rich full mids that bring female voices front and center with a natural tone.I am old(damn,how did that happen) and have lost most of my hearing over 5khz (why the hd800s suit me,lol) and primarily listen to jazz,country and pop vocalists with a smattering of classic rock. My budget is in the $1000 neighbourhood...I know I am a lucky sh*t but had a lot of stuff to sell.

Thank you for your time and expertise.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:52 am 

Focal could do the trick for you:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/en ... CIDZzTC.97

I dont know the seller but:

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/ ... cal-elear/

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:48 am 

Thanks,Genetic for your reply.

I definitely looked at/researched the Focal Elears....and was concerned about the instances of poor quality control and the common description of recessed upper mids affecting female vocals (my key need). I am sure "dogpile" is a trustworthy seller who is seeking to fund the Utopias(out of my league) but am concerned that they are being resold for the second time in two months. Maybe dogpile will chime in here,it would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:04 am 

I'm not a headphone buff but I do have a pair of Audioquest Nighthawks that I think have at least some of the qualities you are looking for. They have a couple new models out that would be worth checking out. They advise that they need some serious breakin time to sound their best and my experience backs that up.
Good luck!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:18 am 

Audeze...... there is a very interesting one out... Hybrid.... Audeze ishin 20......... not a headphone, not a earbud...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:37 am 

Sennheiser HD650. Scales nicely. Bass is OK, but has great mids and is well regarded as a low cost near reference.

Ontario dealer has one listed at $395 so keep the remainder of your $1000 budget in your pocket.

You're welcome ......

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:44 am 

I wouldn't overlook the Koss ESP-950s. They are electrostatic 'phones and certainly meet all your requirements for detail etc. and are my favorite headphones. My listening tastes are similar to yours and I'm 65 years old. Fortunately I still have hearing up to 15K as I always wore hearing protection around noise and at concerts. (except when a favorite song came on.)

If you have a chance to audition a set I'm pretty sure you'll be impressed.

All the best to you,

Don

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:50 am 

You have 2 fairly decent headphones.... want to try something outside the box??? Try this, read about it.... they are what is called cutting edge....

https://www.audeze.com/products/sine-se ... -headphone

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:53 am 

thecafeman wrote:

I definitely looked at/researched the Focal Elears....and was concerned about the instances of poor quality control and the common description of recessed upper mids affecting female vocals (my key need). I am sure "dogpile" is a trustworthy seller who is seeking to fund the Utopias(out of my league) but am concerned that they are being resold for the second time in two months. Maybe dogpile will chime in here,it would be appreciated.

Your comment made me read the last few hundred posts in the Elears Head-Fi thread....

Seems that this headphone has problems with the ''higher'' listening level crowd. So maybe after all it's a product a bit risky on the used market.... :(

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:33 am 

Some great food for thought:

Just sold my Nighthawks and according to an interview with the maker/owner the sound of the new Nighthawk Carbons is no different but the construction of the phones has been refined. I agree they are a great, fun listening headphone. The Oppos are nighthawk like in their richness and musicality but are at a whole new level of soundstage and detail. I thank you for mentioning them, David.

I forgot to mention that I have the stax 2701 set of earphones which I really enjoy and I did take notice of the Koss ESP-950s but didn't know whether I would be gaining much over the Stax or its similarity to the Stax would be such that I wouldn't be getting the change in sound signature I was looking for. Thanks for the info,Don and if you have ever compared them to the Stax SR 207 I would appreciate your info.

Brams, there is no doubt that the Senn 650s are great headphones...my problem is I had the Senn 600s and hated the fit of them....my big ears, small head ....and possible thinning hair may be the reasons. The fit is the only reason I have avoided them.

Tutone, thanks for making me think outside the box. I had read a review on them earlier and I agree they could be an option My previous forays into iems have been dismal because I could never get any plug size to fit well and was a tad afraid of worsening my ear damage. I thank you for bringing the option forward and will research them further.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:13 am 

If you want another open-back set, what about AudioTechnicas? Like ATH-AD900x or ATH-R70X? I have a lower-end (AD-700), and they are fantastic and airy.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:05 pm 

You might want to try the Beyerdynamic T1 headphones. They have rich, full mids. Personally, I do not listen to very much music with vocals, but my T1s have found a home in my home theater. They are great at handling voices, and they have nice separation.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:01 pm 
Manufacturer/Sponsor

Another vote for Beyers :D

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:14 pm 

Can anyone tell me if the Beyer T1 V2 will be a$1000 upgrade to the Beyer T90s I own.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 5:39 pm 

Another vote for Beyerdynamics.
I have the Amiron Home model and absolutely love them.