Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:41 am 
Premium User

mahatma1 wrote:
Does anyone know if tax and duty are applied to Massdrop purchases. Do you pay in Canadian or US finds?
Thanks.

Massdrop, being a US company, it depends on where the goods originally came from in terms of Duty. Tax theoretically applies to everything coming across the border, but if the value of the item is low enough AND it is shipped through the Post Office, you run a higher than average chance of it slipping through the cracks on tax and duty, but if it ships UPS, FedEx or other courier service, you WILL get nailed.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:41 am 

mahatma1 wrote:
Does anyone know if tax and duty are applied to Massdrop purchases. Do you pay in Canadian or US finds?
Thanks.

You pay in USD, which your credit card or paypal will convert for you. You will not pay any additional taxes or duty to Massdrop. However, like any importation, you will be dinged at the border for items with a value marked above $60. Massdrop usually ships things via USPS, which gets handed off to Canada Post at the border. When Canada Post does the importation you will be charged the equivalent of PST+GST (or HST depending on where you are) on the declared value of the item, plus roughly $10 for "brokerage", i.e., Canada Post's surcharge to fill out the importation paperwork.

Given the way the dollar sits these days it's hard to find a killer deal from the States.

Source: ordered many things from Massdrop, and from the US in general.

P.S. when you're shipped something via a courier (DHL, FedEx, UPS) the charges can be much higher as, depending on the service option, they will charge a rather exorbitant fee on the declared value as their "brokerage" fees. It's really quite a fleecing. I always prefer USPS when receiving items from south of the border.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:48 am 

Thanks for the help. I didn't see all the drop down menus on the Massdrop site. :oops:
Specifically I was interested in the Fiio X5 Gen.2
It seemed like a good deal until you factor in currency conversion, tax, shipping, possible duty.
Oh, well.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:51 am 

mahatma1 wrote:
Thanks for the help. I didn't see all the drop down menus on the Massdrop site. :oops:
Specifically I was interested in the Fiio X5 Gen.2
It seemed like a good deal until you factor in currency conversion, tax, shipping, possible duty.
Oh, well.

Oftentimes Massdrop's deals are not as great as they would make you believe. The X5ii is $289usd on Amazon.com. Massdrop is only offering $20 in savings there, and potentially a much, much longer turnaround before you get your item. Massdrop can be cool for some stuff (I scored a Centrance DAC on there for a great price) but it has its pitfalls.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:56 pm 

mahatma1 wrote:
Thanks.

The Kanto Yumis i bought were shipped out of BC via UPS and arrived without additional duties/taxes/fees, but my other Merry Christmas to me, a Seiko shipped out of the MDrop whse spot in NJ via DHL, got me a slip from Canada Post inviting me to drop by to pony up another $18 - I think it was $8 for duties and $10 for "fees", I assume brokerage fees.
I was, however, still very thankful to me for thinking of myself during that special time of year. :D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:00 am 

Just a quick update:

After a month of use, I remain very impressed with the X3ii. In fact, I find myself using it more frequently than expected. It's loaded with about 100gb of FLAC files (all 16/44 or better)....and it has accumulated far more listening hours than my main home rig as of late. I find the sound quality perfectly acceptable. The UI is feels a little dated (in comparison to touch-screen based interfaces), but it remains usable.....though I still need to figure out how to set up playlists.

I have some concerns about long-term durability. There's no sign of wear or damage so far....however, I do a lot of indoor cycling and running during the winter season. That means it's exposed to a considerable amount of sweat while in gym use. I have yet to find a moisture-resistant case....or method to carry the X3 that mitigates this. Note to FiiO: It would awesome if the next generation was available in a factory water-resistant version (same concept as the Sports Walkman from 25 years ago).

I also decided to treat myself to a K5 dock for home use. The dock drives my Grado SR125 headphones very well (better than the X3 does on its own). However, as other have reported, it is very fiddly to mount the X3 into the docking cradle. I'm waiting for delivery of a male-female micro USB extension cable that will hopefully resolve this. Despite this issue, this set-up has really introduced me home headphone listening......so much so that I have given thought to a headphone upgrade, maybe eventually moving up the Grado food chain.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:19 am 

RANT ALERT. I found a good price on a Fiio X3 II. I was kind of excited about it until I started reading about it.
It seems overly complicated.
Formating sd cards, making sure I have the right card that the Fiio supports, the right class card (who knew they had different classes) placing things in files and the list goes on.
The "obsolete" iPod Classic is the essence of simplicity. I installed iTunes, I put music on it, complete with art work and track listings. I make play lists when the mood hits. I used a lossless format (ALAC) so it sounds decent and I bought a dock (Pure I20) for it that I can play over my audio system and it sounds surprisingly good.
If I have a little shindig , I put the iPod on shuffle and instant party music and no worries about me or some other wino handling my cd's or God forbid, my Lp's.
So very simple.
Whatever happened to simplicity? Want to know why the CD prospered? It was the audio equivalent of a toaster,
You plug it, in put in the bread (CD) and you have toast (music).
Couldn't be any easier.
I know I've been a one string banjo but I'm not looking to complicate things. Music is supposed to be relaxing.File formats, asynchronous USB, sampling rates, DSD... not exactly relaxing.
Sorry for the rant.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:25 am 

mahatma1 wrote:
RANT ALERT. I found a good price on a Fiio X3 II. I was kind of excited about it until I started reading about it.
Formating sd cards, making sure I have the right card that the Fiio supports, the right class card (who knew they had different classes) placing things in files and the list goes on.
The "obsolete" iPod Classic is the essence of simplicity. I installed iTunes, I put music on it, complete with art work and track listings. I make play lists when the mood hits. I used a lossless format (ALAC) so it sounds decent and I bought a dock (Pure I20) for it that I can play over my audio system and it sounds surprisingly good.
If I have a little shindig , I put the iPod on shuffle and instant party music and no worries about me or some other wino handling my cd's or God forbid, my Lp's.
So very simple.
Whatever happened to simplicity? Want to know why the CD prospered? It was the audio equivalent of a toaster,
Couldn't be any easier.
I know I've been a one string banjo but I'm not looking to complicate things. Music is supposed to be relaxing.File formats, asynchronous USB, sampling rates, DSD... not exactly relaxing.
Sorry for the rant.

How is an ipod simpler?

You need to install itunes to use an iPod.
-You need to install nothing to transfer music to an SD card.

You must have itunes running and manage your music to get it on the ipod.
-You can drag music from your music folder to your SD card.

You cannot use FLAC or DSD on your iPod.
-You can play FLAC, DSD, MP3, ALAC and more on a Fiios.

You need a proprietary dock to get the best sound from an iPod.
-Fiios has a digital output.

The pre-reqs for storage on the Fiios may seem like more work...(it really is not) but think about how much easier it is to add storage to a Fiios compared to an iPod.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:42 am 

Jared Rachwalski wrote:
mahatma1 wrote:
So very simple.
Couldn't be any easier.
Sorry for the rant.

How is an ipod simpler?

You need to install itunes to use an iPod.
-You need to install nothing to transfer music to an SD card.

You must have itunes running and manage your music to get it on the ipod.
-You can drag music from your music folder to your SD card.

You cannot use FLAC or DSD on your iPod.
-You can play FLAC, DSD, MP3, ALAC and more on a Fiios.

You need a proprietary dock to get the best sound from an iPod.
-Fiios has a digital output.

The pre-reqs for storage on the Fiios may seem like more work...(it really is not) but think about how much easier it is to add storage to a Fiios compared to an iPod.

They both present certain headaches but I can deal with iTunes headaches.
I'm getting a little hands on experience with a Fiio DAP next week.
I'd be happy to be wrong about it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:57 am 

mahatma1 wrote:
So very simple.
Couldn't be any easier.
Sorry for the rant.

After living with an Ipod touch for several years prior to switching to a Fiio player, I find the X3 much simpler to use. No more dealing with blasted iTunes or converting my music files to an Apple-friendly format. Loading music is now just a copy/paste process from my main music server....about as simple as it gets. Virtually every common file format/sampling rate is fully supported...no concerns as to what the Fiio will or won't play.

I had no issues finding a compatible memory card. In fact, the local Memory Express only carried class 10 120GB micro SD cards...well beyond the class 6 minimum required by Fiio. No issues formatting the card either.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:24 am 

Deleted due to question already answered...