Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:57 am 

I work in an open environment, where there is a lot of background conversation. I find that I'm easily distracted, and was hoping some noise cancelling headphones would help me concentrate. I have tried ear plugs, but they don't block all the sound and have to be periodically re-inserted.

I have a collection of listening headphones at home - Grado, AKG, Beyerdynamic, HiFi Man - so am interested primarily in blocking noise and comfort, not audio quality.

What noise cancelling headphones would you recommend?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:40 am 

Bose QC20 in-ear. I use them at work for the same reasons...hands down Bose has the best noise-cancelling tech. They actually sound pretty good as well.

The only annoyance is the battery pack which is attached close to the 3.5mm plug.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:59 am 

Just a rambling thought here: The noise cancelling works very good for constant background noise (aircraft, server fans, etc) but not so much for intermittent, irregular noise, such as some conversations. So you need a combination of noise cancelling and noise isolation. The last pair I had were Phiaton NC-20's worked well for my use but also amusing as I could hear a car coming from behind, but when it passed it became silent - the microphone which picks up then applies the out of phase cancelling effect was being blocked by my body. The sennheiser PXC-250(?) was good for cancelling, but not so good for isolation.

Just bought an A-T ATH-ANC23 ear-buds for an upcoming trip, hopefully they'll do a better job then the broken Phiaton's.

Happy Shopping!
Allan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:47 am 

I scored a great deal on a pair of Sony NC 200D noise cancelling headphones and while not exactly world beaters they do work effectively.
I use them mainly on planes and trains and without a doubt they make things much more tolerable.
If I had some money to burn I'd look at the Bose Quiet Comfort 35's. Not the greatest sounding cans but they may have the best noise cancelling.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:34 am 

Thanks for the recommendations. I ended up buying a pair of Sony MDR-EX750NA. I've been using them for a couple hours - mostly unplugged - and they do the trick. Much easier to concentrate and focus on my task.

-- 29 Nov 2016 11:34 --

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:12 am 

jassman wrote:
Bose QC20 in-ear. I use them at work for the same reasons...hands down Bose has the best noise-cancelling tech. They actually sound pretty good as well.

The only annoyance is the battery pack which is attached close to the 3.5mm plug.

+1

I purchased these a while back because I like to ride a motorcycle and have quality tunes. I am amazed at how good these sound, and I am very picky with my music and quality-lol.

My previous IEM were the Shures 535's and I now actually prefer the Bose :shock: This was a big surprise to me.

The only issue as already mentioned is the rather large battery pack, but it sits with your phone or DAP.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:09 pm 

Best ones out are the new Sennheiser PXCs

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:16 pm 

Noise Cancelling Motorcycle Helmet.