Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:36 pm 

https://www.geteven.co/

I just tried this with my Grado headphones just plugged into the headphone jack of my laptop. I didn't even use the Dragonfly.

It's remarkable. I wish I could get just the software to use with my existing equipment.

Actually. Not sure why I need "better" headphones with this. It's correcting for both the deficiencies in my ears and the headphones.

Just try it. And post please. I'm curious what others think!

At my desk right now: Kavent CD-731, Gallo Stradas, Gallo TR3D Sub, Raysonic SE-30A mk II (winter amp), ShengYa AS90 (summer amp), Dragonfly DAC2

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:31 am 
Manufacturer/Sponsor

That's pretty cool!
Now if they if they made a module so that you could plug in your own headphones.....................

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:44 am 

Does this mean we have to do true double blind hearing tests for each ear separately? :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:36 am 

This is great! I'm having asymmetrical issues with my right ear and this can sure correct thing and put things back in balance. @cableguy, a module would be ideal, as I'd like to use my own headphones with this type of correction and equalization.

Thanks for posting :D
Jay

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:26 am 

Mindnoise and Cableguy: Do we really need our own headphones? This seems to be equilizing the shortcomings of the headphones along with the shortcomings of the ears...

-- 23 Sep 2016 17:27 --

Mindnoise and Cableguy: Do we really need our own headphones? This seems to be equilizing the shortcomings of the headphones along with the shortcomings of the ears...

Has anybody tried plugging this into their main rig? That's my next experiment.

At my desk right now: Kavent CD-731, Gallo Stradas, Gallo TR3D Sub, Raysonic SE-30A mk II (winter amp), ShengYa AS90 (summer amp), Dragonfly DAC2

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:44 am 

they should AB Off and On only on the same loudness. I cant hear what is being improved...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:02 pm 

I didn't click too much, by it appears its a DSP that tailors your headphones to how you hear and also corrects deficiencies in the phones themselves? Pretty neat concept. I imagine a MiniDSP type application of this tech wouldn't be too hard to come up with at all for the person with the right ambitions. Any penniless inventors around? :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:20 pm 

It does one heck of a job at EQ'ing the environment. I've recently had some hearing tests and it's a remarkably similar process. I'm not one for EQ but the results speak for themselves, Superb!
I just don't want to pay $300 US for a crappy set of headphones, Id rather use my own. :?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:58 pm 

My Note5 does something similar to adjust to the differences in each ear.

-- 11 Aug 2017 06:59 --

My Note5 does something similar to adjust to the differences in each ear.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:57 am 

Very cool. This is just a way to custom EQ. No reason that you couldn't have a smartphone app to do the same thing. I don't know how you would adapt it to other music sources though.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:11 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

LaSalle wrote:
Very cool. This is just a way to custom EQ. No reason that you couldn't have a smartphone app to do the same thing. I don't know how you would adapt it to other music sources though.

You could not get a phone to do this 'live' unless the unit has a high quality audio dsp chip in it. which I'm not aware of a single phone encompassing this. One can do eq curves and checks on a phone until the cows come home, as this is just input analysis and modification of what the numbers say for having different displayed numbers.

DSP would be akin to 24/192 analog in and then modification of the complementary digital data signal and then analog out at 24/192. That requires a specific application of a DSP chip proper.

I know that many high end phones do have some minimal DSP audio functions but I'm not aware of a fully evolved hand held DSP unit existing as a phone. My caveat is that I pay little to no attention to the phone market, the life killer that it is. (or, has evolved to be - ie a life eater of the general public, who tend to cotton to such inanity)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:34 am 

Teo Audio wrote:
LaSalle wrote:

You could not get a phone to do this 'live' unless the unit has a high quality audio dsp chip in it. which I'm not aware of a single phone encompassing this. One can do eq curves and checks on a phone until the cows come home, as this is just input analysis and modification of what the numbers say for having different displayed numbers.

DSP would be akin to 24/192 analog in and then modification of the complementary digital data signal and then analog out at 24/192. That requires a specific application of a DSP chip proper.

I know that many high end phones do have some minimal DSP audio functions but I'm not aware of a fully evolved hand held DSP unit existing as a phone. My caveat is that I pay little to no attention to the phone market, the life killer that it is. (or, has evolved to be - ie a life eater of the general public, who tend to cotton to such inanity)

So a headphone with run of the mill DSP chip’s can pull it off but a smart phone with multiple processing cores could not? If there was a mass market for this it would be easily implemented into a smartphone. Samsung has been doing something similar for years.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:23 am 

sthomas1049 wrote:
So a headphone with run of the mill DSP chip’s can pull it off but a smart phone with multiple processing cores could not? If there was a mass market for this it would be easily implemented into a smartphone. Samsung has been doing something similar for years.

Hi Sthomas: I am just learning to use my new Samsung S8. Could you please share the app or control settings you are referencing? Thanks for your help!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:01 pm 

David_big_ears wrote:
sthomas1049 wrote:

Hi Sthomas: I am just learning to use my new Samsung S8. Could you please share the app or control settings you are referencing? Thanks for your help!

This is a native app baked into Samsung’s Touchwiz and not something you download from the Playstore.

Head to your settings and choose "Sounds and vibration", then "Sound quality and effects" and from there "Adapt Sound". Then select "Personalized sound" and follow the instructions.

A similar setup will proceed where you will identify a series of tones for both the left and right ear. The application will then create a customized EQ based on your hearing profile.

Now what I can’t remember is if this custom EQ will be used for all audio/video apps or just the Samsung branded ones. I no longer have a Samsung phone so can’t confirm. But I do know that it only works through the HP out. Will not be applied if you use a USB DAC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:17 pm 

Just checked my Galaxy Tab A - it does have the Adapt Sound function. Will have to play with this later! Thanks.