Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:07 pm 

raindogtrombone wrote:
I own a pair of these and absolutely love them.

I saw about a month ago that Summit Hifi had these on sale for $349 or so (Black Friday?). I wonder if they'll drop again post-Christmas. Such a great deal if it comes back. I bought mine off someone on CAM about a year ago for quite a bit more than that...

What does the jerg mod do to the sound?

I auditioned them last week at a local dealer and they were still $349 there. Did much prefer the Audioquest Nighthawks though for sq and comfort for $100 more.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:23 pm 

So, I am on Yonge St the other day.
Thought I would head to the Headfone Shop.
Looked up the address on my cell phone.
3409 Yonge St.
Park my car walk to the address.
It is a postal outlet.
I go in and there's a kiosk at the front with a couple of Headfone signs laying around.
No one is there and doesn't look like any inventory.
When you google them it states hours are from 9:30 to 7:00.
I was there around 10:45.
So I try to call them.
Leave amessage and still no response two days later.
Anyone had any dealings with these guys?
I wanted to audition the 400i's.Very disappointing.
Glen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:33 pm 

I have bought a couple of items from him. He carries and demos alot of items. He is quite knowledgeable as well.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:02 pm 

I will try again to get a hold of him.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:54 pm 

mpublicover wrote:
raindogtrombone wrote:

I saw about a month ago that Summit Hifi had these on sale for $349 or so (Black Friday?). I wonder if they'll drop again post-Christmas. Such a great deal if it comes back. I bought mine off someone on CAM about a year ago for quite a bit more than that...

I auditioned them last week at a local dealer and they were still $349 there. Did much prefer the Audioquest Nighthawks though for sq and comfort for $100 more.

Everyone is different when it comes to subjective listening/auditioning of headphones.

I auditioned a well "burned in" pair of audioquest Nighthawks and not impressed with female vocals with a woo audio WA6 and Marantz HD-DAC1. I tried a different amp while streaming Tidal.

The Hifiman HE 400I simply sounded better overall to my ears. Even the classic HD650 seems a world better than the Nighthawks.

For portable headphones I actually like the Audeze Sine and denon MM400 sound signature. Goes to show headphones have such different sound signatures that people either like or dislike.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:42 pm 

raindogtrombone wrote:

Visions has them on here for the 24th to 26th @ $348.00. HE400i.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:34 am 

I have the 400i's, very nice through a Woo Audio Headphone amp and using a Space Tech Super Rectifier.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:43 am 

gkella wrote:
Thanks guys..
Hoping for Boxing Day sale.

Check out Headphonebar in Vancouver (no affiliation). I had ordered a set of 400i a year ago during the Cyber Monday sale and they shipped to me here in Ottawa. They have them up for $349 right now (vice ~$670 that most others charge). Anyhow, definitely worth the wait... a great set of cans!!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:02 am 

Amazon.ca $349 as well

Rega RP6/Dyna 10x5/Schiit Mani

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:18 am 

Christmas Eve at 11:30 a.m
We are expecting our family for dinner. Coming over at 1:30.
I check out Vancouver store selling the 400i's for 349.00.
Figure I will give the Headfone Shop one more try.
He answers his phone and advises one pair left and will sell them to me for 349.00.
I live in Port Hope, am hour away from the store if I do a buck twenty on the 401.
I go for it...
Get to the store and demo the 400i's.
I was kind of underwhelmed.
They are so inefficient and not entirely comfortable to me.
Also the cord is dreadfully short.
I ask him what else he would recommend.
Tried out a couple different options. Sorry can't recall the makes.
Then put on a set of Beyerdynamic Amiron Home headphones....wow
I was blown away....so comfortable, sound was incredible.Nowgranted, they were 795.00, so maybe not a fair comparison. Got a bit of a discount and
I took those babies home with me...Merry Christmans to me !!!
The family was there waiting when I got home....my daughters stayed over night so I still
Haven't got a chance to enjoy my new purchase....
Glen

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:38 am 

gkella wrote:
Are HIFIMAN Headphones sold in the Toronto area?
Would love to audition them.

Planet of Sound on Queen W have them set up to audition.

They also have a selection of amps you can test with them - they usually recommend ifi products, and those are usually leaders at their price points.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:13 am 

mistersprinkles wrote:
Now that I've had these for four days I can confidently say that they are the best, most revealing loudspeaker or headphone I have ever heard in my life. I can't wait to get a proper headphone amp and an upgraded cable for them.

Thanks to everyone who mentioned them to me as I was not even aware that they existed.

Agree 100%. I had never heard of this company before. Auditioned them against the B&W P9 and was just blown away. Needless to say, I put the P9's down and in the end, saved quite a bit of coin. You really need an amp to make them sing though.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:42 am 

I do work for a HifiMan dealer. Before that I owned the HE400 and HE500.

Having heard Everything so far up to the Edition X V2, I can say that I personally like the HE400S more than the HE400i. Both are far better than the HE400, imo. The HE400 are desperately difficult to drive in comparison to the HE400i and especially HE400s. My preference for the HE400s is mainly that they are easier to drive, which is a bigger deal than I thought it would be (for me). I take them everywhere and they sound better on 90% of the amps I've used than the HE400i. They do have more character than the HE400i. But to someone wanting a clean, neutral sound I like the HE560. I think all three HE400s, HE400i and HE560 offer better value than the HE400 and HE500, because they achieve their own sounds, free of overt flaws without needing to mod them or necessarily spending time and money with amp partnering. They all sound better with proper amplification, with the HE400s being a slight exception when the amp is good, not necessarily powerful, and the source being good.

I listen to the HE400s and Monolith M1060 more than any of the others due to their slight character and being able to be driven directly by my Hegel HD12 with great results. I will be having a custom 2.5mm balanced cable made for them, which will work on both to try with the new FiiO X7 ii soon as well.

All their headphones have a place relating to price point and what you'll drive them with - and therefore where you will take them.

That's just my experience as a long time fan of HifiMan, magnetic planar speakers and headphones alike.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:01 am 

I own the HE400S Headphones and for the money I find that they are simply Awesome, However I have tried them with several different Headphone Amps, Although some were of them were really Very Good, I Finally found One Amp. that Really made these Headphones Perform to their Maximum Potential, With ALL the other Headphone Amps that I tried the sound seemed to be somewhat compressed like all the musicians were in a small 8'x 8' room. Now with my Current Amp.,the Sound stage is Huge with plenty of Depth it`s like ALL the walls in the room have disappeared,This Amp also has that special inner detail that most other Amps. seem to lack,(for me this a VERY Important part that is needed to complete the overall quality of sound)

The Headphone Amp. I am talking about is the Doge 6210,This Amp. is very inexpensive but it has outperformed Every other Amp.(some that were much more expensive) that I have compared it to so far,It has a Huge sound stage with plenty of Depth,Details,and has the Cleanest sound I have ever experienced with ANY Headphone setup at this point.
(For the Best performance you will need to replace the stock tubes with better quality ones)

Last edited by joseph49 on Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:12 am 

icevic wrote:
gkella wrote:
Are HIFIMAN Headphones sold in the Toronto area?
Would love to audition them.

Planet of Sound on Queen W have them set up to audition.

They also have a selection of amps you can test with them - they usually recommend ifi products, and those are usually leaders at their price points.

He bought a pair of headphones Christmas Eve 2016!