Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:27 am 

Sheekster wrote:
Friendlystranger wrote:
For $200.00 , $300.00 budget to drive the Senns 600 too their potential "you ask " look for a used out put transformerless amp like the David Berning Micro Zolt first introduced in the late 1990s I believe , the micro and macro detail is striking with this combination with a decent source .
Of course you should replace the head phone wire with a decent one.

The mighty one watt per channel will even drive high efficient speakers if your into that at all, I found the Berning OTL to be a lot of fun.

So, after much deliberation, i have decided to go with this:

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/ ... phone_amp/

I was very intrigued at the notion of 'building' my amp, but after shipping, and the Bottlehead power cord upgrade, it was the same price to just get the Blackdog..

And, plus, Dan has a superb reputation on CAM. He was really patient with all of the questions i needed answered...i'm a total noob to headphones/headphone amps/tube amps.

You should be happy with the match up of the 600s and the out put transformerless amplifier ,

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:29 am 
Premium User

Get a used Burson HA160. Or if you do computer audio, the Audioengine D1 amp/DAC will make the 600s sing with lossless files.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:43 am 

Friendlystranger wrote:
Sheekster wrote:
Friendlystranger wrote:
For $200.00 , $300.00 budget to drive the Senns 600 too their potential "you ask " look for a used out put transformerless amp like the David Berning Micro Zolt first introduced in the late 1990s I believe , the micro and macro detail is striking with this combination with a decent source .
Of course you should replace the head phone wire with a decent one.

The mighty one watt per channel will even drive high efficient speakers if your into that at all, I found the Berning OTL to be a lot of fun.

So, after much deliberation, i have decided to go with this:

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/ ... phone_amp/

I was very intrigued at the notion of 'building' my amp, but after shipping, and the Bottlehead power cord upgrade, it was the same price to just get the Blackdog..

And, plus, Dan has a superb reputation on CAM. He was really patient with all of the questions i needed answered...i'm a total noob to headphones/headphone amps/tube amps.

You should be happy with the match up of the 600s and the out put transformerless amplifier ,

The 600s are a very good match to be driven by an output transformerless amplifier, even though there are far better head phones on the market this combination should make you happy.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:20 pm 
Premium User

OBI56 wrote:

If you are not sure what kind of sound you are after, the ONLY thing to do is to go out with YOUR headphones and listen to as many different headphone amps as you can BEFORE buying. That is unless you want to get on the endless merry-go-round of constant sideways moves chasing after what you like.

I disagree! :shock:

Taking your headphones out to go and listen to as many different headphone amps as you can isn't really going to give you any idea of what sounds best as the front end to each is going to be completely different...unless of course you are fortunate enough to find a audio store that sells a variety of headphone amps and you can try them one at a time using the same front end.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:23 am 

Friendlystranger wrote:
The 600s are a very good match to be driven by an output transformerless amplifier, even though there are far better head phones on the market this combination should make you happy.

Agree. I believe the usually recommendation is the Bottlehead Crack if you're not afraid of DIY.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:34 am 

I wouldn’t recommend a Bottle Head Crack at all. They have an extremely high output impedance of ~150ohms and do not fall within the 1/8th rule of thumb (recommended that the amplifiers output impedance be 1/8th of the headphone nominal impedance.).

http://nwavguy.blogspot.ca/2011/02/head ... dance.html

Never heard the match but many like the Burson HP amp with Senn 600/650’s

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:06 am 

The schiit jotunheim performs admirably with the HD600/650 lineup (even more so balanced).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:12 am 

Elucidate wrote:
The schiit jotunheim performs admirably with the HD600/650 lineup (even more so balanced).

Nice to hear....looking at the Jotunheim for my 600's.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:16 pm 

Icon HP8. Never heard better with Sennheiser!

I've heard a number of Schiit amps and never been impressed at all. At least with Asgaard, Valhalla and Lyrr. Majorly over hyped. Burson HA160 as someone mentioned 3 years ago, is a very good amp. Not exactly the magic that the HP8 is though.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:20 pm 

I've owned both the Crack/Speedball and ASL MG-head mkii.
Both excellent with the Senn 600's.

Kept the ASL only because it cost me less. It will be my last HP amp.

-- 01 Sep 2017 03:22 --

...get decent quality vintage tubes if you want to hear them at their best.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:23 am 

Adriankn wrote:
Icon HP8. Never heard better with Sennheiser!

I've heard a number of Schiit amps and never been impressed at all. At least with Asgaard, Valhalla and Lyrr. Majorly over hyped. Burson HA160 as someone mentioned 3 years ago, is a very good amp. Not exactly the magic that the HP8 is though.

Schiit offers plenty of choices at different price points which makes their products accessible to the budget oriented consumer. That certainly doesn't make them "over-hyped". Anecdotal experience should never be the deciding factor for others. Also, schiits endgame stack is a far cry from their entry level stuff.

But then again: I guess if schiit products fall into the category of being over-hyped I suppose the same could be said for Woo Audio/Cavalli Audio products.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:12 am 

Elucidate wrote:
Anecdotal experience should never be the deciding factor for others..

I agree 100%. I encourage everyone to listen to what they intend to purchase first. Unfortunately you cannot do that with Schiit.

Everything on this forum and all audio forums are a matter of opinion, not fact. The thread is titled "Sennheiser HD600 amp match..your opinions?"

No offense on my part was or ever is intended.

Let me qualify my opinion:

I don't enjoy listening to headphones for the most part because of the lack of staging and sense of space that live music and good 2 channel can reproduce. I do, however, respect how good Sennheiser has made their open back headphones at reproducing that space as best possible. Only have I ever been convinced that I could enjoy listening to headphones while using the HD650 and HD800 with the HP8 and a capable source. That is all my experience and recommendation is based on. It's biased to my expectations, like all recommendations. I'm not saying owning Schiit or anything else is wrong. I don't believe in confirmation bias or snobbery. I just feel most HP amps fail to even be remotely good, by my measure stated above. That's all. Anyone else's experience and preference will differ.

Plenty of folks own and like Schiit products (including myself) and they represent good value for those individuals obviously. But something is not good value if you don't like it. No matter how cheap it is. That's all I meant.

I have a Wyrd and have also had their Modi U2 and Multibit. I find their budget DACs (probably their top tier DACs too, haven't tried) to be very competitive value again others sonically at their price. I simply do not think the HP amps I've heard from them sound good. Everyones tastes are different. I just find them metallic and forward sounding whether or not they have tubes, are class A or whatever. They fail to sound at ease or reproduce real sounding music to my ears. I haven't heard their most expensive one or two cheapest. Those three might be totally different from the three I heard.

I do take issue with their marketing a bit, and only feel they over hype themselves. I don't have any issue with anyone that finds their products to be good value. Many of them are. I just feel plenty of brands can make a great product as well without marketing their biggest strength as cutting out the one thing that allows potential owners to hear a product before having to commit to it. But that's just how I roll, and it's only ever an opinion that no one has to pay any mind to.

Have a great Labour Day weekend everyone!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:41 am 

Adriankn wrote:
Elucidate wrote:

I agree 100%. I encourage everyone to listen to what they intend to purchase first. Unfortunately you cannot do that with Schiit.

Everything on this forum and all audio forums are a matter of opinion, not fact. The thread is titled "Sennheiser HD600 amp match..your opinions?"

No offense on my part was or ever is intended.

Let me qualify my opinion:

I don't enjoy listening to headphones for the most part because of the lack of staging and sense of space that live music and good 2 channel can reproduce. I do, however, respect how good Sennheiser has made their open back headphones at reproducing that space as best possible. Only have I ever been convinced that I could enjoy listening to headphones while using the HD650 and HD800 with the HP8 and a capable source. That is all my experience and recommendation is based on. It's biased to my expectations, like all recommendations. I'm not saying owning Schiit or anything else is wrong. I don't believe in confirmation bias or snobbery. I just feel most HP amps fail to even be remotely good, by my measure stated above. That's all. Anyone else's experience and preference will differ.

Plenty of folks own and like Schiit products (including myself) and they represent good value for those individuals obviously. But something is not good value if you don't like it. No matter how cheap it is. That's all I meant.

I have a Wyrd and have also had their Modi U2 and Multibit. I find their budget DACs (probably their top tier DACs too, haven't tried) to be very competitive value again others sonically at their price. I simply do not think the HP amps I've heard from them sound good. Everyones tastes are different. I just find them metallic and forward sounding whether or not they have tubes, are class A or whatever. They fail to sound at ease or reproduce real sounding music to my ears. I haven't heard their most expensive one or two cheapest. Those three might be totally different from the three I heard.

I do take issue with their marketing a bit, and only feel they over hype themselves. I don't have any issue with anyone that finds their products to be good value. Many of them are. I just feel plenty of brands can make a great product as well without marketing their biggest strength as cutting out the one thing that allows potential owners to hear a product before having to commit to it. But that's just how I roll, and it's only ever an opinion that no one has to pay any mind to.

Have a great Labour Day weekend everyone!

I know head-fi (which generally is a cesspool community from my experience) is partly to blame for their rise and notoriety to fame. Personally, I don't have a problem with Jason Stoddard or his business practices. It's the sheer amount of hyperbole and deluded statements from the schiit fanboys that gets regurgitated daily that gives schiit a bad rep. On the negative side - I think schiits customer service has gone downhill over the last couple years and their haughty attitude doesn't bode well with the audiophiles that I know and talk to.

At the end of the day - fanboys will be fanboys.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:54 am 

Sheekster wrote:
Hi all,

I have a set of HD600'S on the way to me, and want to get a headphone amp to run them to their potential.
Something reasonably priced...bast bang for the buck...like from $200-$300 or so..

I have a Fiio EO7..it's a DAC/Amp..don't know if that'll do the job.

IMHO Like they say, depends on what you like to listen to.

600s are pretty neutral (I find) so getting a tube based setup would be my recommendation.
I have a pair of 600s and have found that they work really well my my MG head. For classical, ambient, and especially synth and funk music this combo takes the cake.
The other amp I have is a Shiit Asgard MKI. For general purpose use, techno, rap, etc I find this combo works well.

I would go as far to say that any decent head amp will make a decent improvement. If you can afford a tube amp though ... I'd say go in that direction.
Long ago I had a Musical fidelity XCAN tube head amp, and as I recall it was pretty decent. The volume knobs on those suck ass, but other than that they were good.
There are a couple on CAM right now for less than $200 ... might be a good place to start. Can always tube roll if you want to change the way they sound ...

(plus I always found the XCANS just looked cool ... so .. there is that too) :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:19 am 

Adriankn wrote:
Elucidate wrote:

Unfortunately you cannot do that with Schiit.

And why can't you, exactly? Headphone meets are a thing.

Not really for Canadians but Schiit recently opened a store so people could demo units.