Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:26 pm 

Hi all,

I have a set of HD600'S on the way to me, and want to get a headphone amp to run them to their potential.
Something reasonably priced...bast bang for the buck...like from $200-$300 or so..

I have a Fiio EO7..it's a DAC/Amp..don't know if that'll do the job.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:20 am 

If you like DIY projects, buy a Bottlehead Crack kit, and assemble an amp that punches well above its price range.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:43 am 

I like the hd600 matched with Burson Audio.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:56 am 

Reading the net it seems people like the bottlehead crack with speedball upgrade.

If you want something "on the go" this combo will work and sound great

http://www.headphonebar.com/jds-labs-o2-odac/

I own an HD650 and currently I've just slapped together a headphone rig with stuff kicking around my house.
Its not your typical headphone rig LOL!! I'm using a Burson Audio DA160 dac, Stello U3 usb/spdif converter and Grand fidelity B283 MKII tube buffer and inexpensive JDS labs 02 headphone amp (same as mayflower amp $129 at ncix but NO DAC). This amp has plenty of power to run your hd600's. How does my combo sound ?? Very organic and natural with excellent note decay. I'll upgrade my amp but very low on my priority list.

If you read the reviews on the 02 amplifier you'll be suprised how such an inexpensive amp performs so well.

There's a Schiit Lyr Headphone Amplifier on the CAM's b/s. Its first generation (2nd just released) .

There will be alot of suggestions. IMO built in Dac/amp systems will not have the best SQ at the 300 dollar mark.

You'd be able to find a used amp like this for $300. To my ears this amp was great when I auditioned it.

http://www.headphonebar.com/alo-audio-pan-am/

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:01 pm 

I am using hd600 with burson HA-160 for rock and music fidelity x-can v3 tube for other music

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:46 pm 

To me a Graham Slee amp sounds good.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:58 pm 

Any opinions on this?

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_ ... _id=053591

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:18 pm 

Sheekster wrote:

are you looking for tube sound? or solid state??

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:11 am 

Alanu wrote:
Sheekster wrote:

Whatever sounds better i suppose..

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:10 am 
Premium User

Sheekster wrote:
Alanu wrote:
Sheekster wrote:

And THAT is the only correct answer my friend! Sound is a very personal thing and if you don't know what you prefer, how do you expect to find out here other than what someone else likes or prefers. Anyone here will be telling you what THEY prefer and what you should prefer. And in 9 out of 10 cases, what they prefer may sound like crap to you. This is why there are so many used headphone amps out there; people buy them because someone told them that they would like it but they wind up disappointed and go out and buy another new one every couple of months.

If you are not sure what kind of sound you are after, the ONLY thing to do is to go out with YOUR headphones and listen to as many different headphone amps as you can BEFORE buying. That is unless you want to get on the endless merry-go-round of constant sideways moves chasing after what you like.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:11 am 

Sheekster wrote:
Alanu wrote:
Sheekster wrote:

I've just entered the HP world and it's just as crazy as home theater or 2 channel people ;)

You may be as critical or "not" as critical as some reviewers writing articles on particular HP amplifiers.

I purchased the very inexpensive 02 objective amplifier (made by jds) however many other companies are making the same exact amp since its open source online available to public for the "taking". This amp is just neutral, very good soundstage and plenty of power to run many dynamic HP out there. You must purchase a 3.5mm stereo/rca cable to connect an external dac or buy the all in one package with amp/dac for about 300 bucks. I added a Grant fidelity tube buffer to manipulate the sound signature to be more natural and add organic note decay. At least now I can roll tubes and change the sound with the grant fidelity processor.

HP all have a certain sound signatures and its almost like the rest of us hunting for different amps/preamps/cabling and even different speakers to match the music genre your typically listening too. One headphone probably will sound better in certain types of music but not a universal perfect HP for all music.

Hunting to please your ears is always the fun part of this crazy audio world :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:24 am 

Jazzkammer wrote:
If you like DIY projects, buy a Bottlehead Crack kit, and assemble an amp that punches well above its price range.

I might bite the bullet and do the Bottlehead Crack..I'm scared though. I've never worked with electronics!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:52 am 

For $200.00 , $300.00 budget to drive the Senns 600 too their potential "you ask " look for a used out put transformerless amp like the David Berning Micro Zolt first introduced in the late 1990s I believe , the micro and macro detail is striking with this combination with a decent source .
Of course you should replace the head phone wire with a decent one.

The mighty one watt per channel will even drive high efficient speakers if your into that at all, I found the Berning OTL to be a lot of fun.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:28 am 

Friendlystranger wrote:
For $200.00 , $300.00 budget to drive the Senns 600 too their potential "you ask " look for a used out put transformerless amp like the David Berning Micro Zolt first introduced in the late 1990s I believe , the micro and macro detail is striking with this combination with a decent source .
Of course you should replace the head phone wire with a decent one.

The mighty one watt per channel will even drive high efficient speakers if your into that at all, I found the Berning OTL to be a lot of fun.

So, after much deliberation, i have decided to go with this:

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/ ... phone_amp/

I was very intrigued at the notion of 'building' my amp, but after shipping, and the Bottlehead power cord upgrade, it was the same price to just get the Blackdog..

And, plus, Dan has a superb reputation on CAM. He was really patient with all of the questions i needed answered...i'm a total noob to headphones/headphone amps/tube amps.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:54 pm 

That's how I got into the world of tubes - with the Antique Sound Labs MG Head DT back in the day. It's the cheapest way to try tubes - and the tubes themselves tend to be the cheapest to replace and the longest lasting (usually using EL84).

OB156 is correct that opinions are varied but tube amps do at least let you tailor the sound you get via the different sounding tubes on the market. Ie; you can tailor the sound of the amp quite extensively via tube changes. You can't do that with SS amplifiers (at best you can alter the frequency response via an EQ but you could do that with a tube amp as well.

I am somewhat tempted to get the LM 218minie headphone integrated amplifier. If the blackdog doesn't make you happy maybe look for the 218mini second hand ($800 list new) but maybe $350 second hand. If I see a second hand one come up I may go for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfJgkmwS0OU