Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: headphone cable diy
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:55 am 

Hi just got my first dap and cans and they sound pretty amazing. Being an audio nut I looked around and saw some mods one can do to the cans, first up I would like to make my own cable, so I have a question about the wire, would using tonearm wire be of any detriment or benefit, is there a size the wire needs to be ex 24 awg etc. I see diy project cable available for the app just wondered if that is set in stone.

Also would anyone know a place to get a quality 2.5 mm jack? 3.5 is easy enough but the second jack seems to be a problem and I am only seeing them @ the rad shack which seem over priced and poor quality.

Cans are B&W p5 and dap is fiio x3.

I saw some mods to the cans on line but any experiences do them would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject: Re: headphone cable diy
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:16 am 
Premium User

3 things Chow:

Modding new cans voids the warranty. Not really a problem on a $20 set of cans, but a bit of a worry on a $400 set.

#2 You won't find high quality wiring and connectors at the corner Rat Shack or electronics retailer. If you want the good stuff, you have to go where they sell that sort of stuff, be ready to pay through the nose, and that is typically not retaillers. You have to go on-line to the distributor or pay your can dealer to order these items for you because usual distributors have minimum quantity requirements and pay for full shipping charges whether you want 1 item or 100 of them. Luckily there are several CAM vendors (Take Five, Parts Connexion, Audio Sensibility, etc ...) who stock these exotic items but don't expect them to have walk-in retail locations.

#3 Do you have the experience working with small gauge wiring, silver solder and doing the finishing touches that will preserve the looks and reliability of your cans? If not, get a qualified tech to do the mods for you. As for using tonearm wire; sure, it will work but be prepared for the resulting cord to be fragile and break often. Tonearm wiring is designed to be used INSIDE tonearm tubes where it is protected from the outside world. You CAN use any wire you want, but it has to be strong enough to withstand daily use as headphone cable, be flexible enough and have all the other qualities needed for the duty it is intended for.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:49 am 

Good advice from OBI to be sure.

Head-Fi is pretty much the home of headphone info, and lots of great help available there too.

I had a guy in Toronto rewire my Grado modded headphones with parts I sourced from Take 5 Audio here in ON. I found him off Head Fi, and he was an amp builder, and had lots of good feedback etc.

Have fun, cans are a great window into the musical presentation.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:51 am 

thanks for the reply obi

Yes I have experience working with small guage.

I was thinking of teflon tube for protection with some braiding. The parts connection sale tweeked me to asking the tonearm wire question, if you saw the cable that comes with the p5 they are so tiny.

now to find the 2.5 mm jack

was hoping someone had maybe rewired the whole headphone with some cardas or something of that ilk as I just can't seem to discern a was to take the phones apart to do this

thanks again

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:22 pm 

mcgsxr wrote:

I had a guy in Toronto rewire my Grado modded headphones with parts I sourced from Take 5 Audio here in ON. I found him off Head Fi, and he was an amp builder, and had lots of good feedback etc.

May I have the contact for headphone mod? Ring Audio is too busy to recable my massdrop foster TH-x00 to balanced cable :(
I don't mind the warranty. Thanks so much

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:47 am 

Not sure if you are a Head Fi member, but the guy who worked on my Grado's was Head Fi member FallenAngel.

All the best,

Mark in Burlington

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:38 pm 

thanks will check it out :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:33 am 

Hi,

Anyone knowing someone in the Montreal area who could change the cable (for balanced with 4-pin XLR) on my Fostex TH900 (the old version with the non-detachable cable) ?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Pierre

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:23 pm 

Not exactly what you asked for, but dump the P5's and make the jump to P5, Series 2.

There's a world of difference!

I own a pair of each.

Cheers, del Sol

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:36 pm 

del Sol wrote:
Not exactly what you asked for, but dump the P5's and make the jump to P5, Series 2.

There's a world of difference!

I own a pair of each.

Cheers, del Sol

Thanks

old thread I ended up getting some good cables from the UK which made a nice difference

buy since then I have purchased a pair of Audeze Sines