Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:48 pm 

I have been looking to buy another pair of headphones, and about 15 years ago (give or take a year or two) I was in at The Sony Store in Sudbury and auditioned a pair of Sony phones that were around $400. I loved the sound (although a little bass-shy) and styling. I remember them being unique in the way the drivers were farther from the listener's head than normal and were suspended and very much an "open back" design.

I would like to find a pair of these used but don't know a model number. I know this isn't a lot to go on, but if anyone out there thinks they know the model and some info, please let me know.

Thanks,

Allen

-- 22 Nov 2013 13:07 --

Bump! Anyone?

I found what I believe to be the headphones I was looking for. They are the MDR-F1 and I've included a picture. If anyone has experience with this particular headphone, please let me know what you think.

Thanks.

Attachments:
300x300px-LS-837ba57c_B000095SA1-41PW1ART79L.jpg
300x300px-LS-837ba57c_B000095SA1-41PW1ART79L.jpg [ 10.86 KiB | Viewed 1837 times ]
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:09 pm 

I had the MDR-F1 for a little while, and they had a very unique open and airy sound to them.

There is currently one on the head-fi.org headphones for sale/trade classifieds. There was another Sony model that apparently had slightly better bass response, but was recently discontinued: the MDR-MA900.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:57 pm 

I had a chance to snag a used pair of the MDR-F1s, but went with the Shure SRH-1440s instead. From hearing the F1s and living with the 1440s for awhile, I came to the conclusion that I want to have a warmer, fuller sounding set of headphones. I found that the leaner sounding cans like the Sonys and Shures, while very accurate and spacious, aren't as fun as other headphones I've heard that were less "accurate". For now I'm using my trusty Superlux HD681-EVOs, while looking for a more powerful, punchy set of cans with deeper bass, more warmth, and greater dynamics.

Allen

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:05 pm 

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/akg-k7xx-m ... headphones

There's only one review of these yet, on head-fi, but these seem to me like they will be right up the top of the bang-for-buck options now.
I got in on it anyway...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:05 am 

Quote:

There's only one review of these yet, on head-fi, but these seem to me like they will be right up the top of the bang-for-buck options now.
I got in on it anyway...

Sorry, but I don't care much for the site you just sent me to. It looks as if there is no option to go there as a visitor, but one must join up and register to enter the site. Let me know if I'm wrong, and if there's some way to check out those headphones without being forced to join the Massdrop community, I'll certainly take a look.

What is the exact model of AKG headphones you were referring to?

Allen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:20 pm 

Sorry for the bad link. I believe I sent you to my personal page...

They are a variation of the AKG 702 65th anniversary, apparently improved in all necessary areas. They're called the AKG 7xx .

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:33 pm 

Quote:
Sorry for the bad link. I believe I sent you to my personal page...

Thanks, but the same result. It brings me to a page where I have to sign-in or sign-up. I guess no visitors allowed! :shock:

I did look up the review on Head-Fi and they do look interesting, and appear to be good value. I don't know if they'd be enough of what I'm looking for, even though they seem to depart from the 701/702's lean bass and lack of warmth overall.

Have you received your set yet? When you get the chance, please share your impressions if you don't mind.

Allen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:06 pm 

If you can find them used the Denon AH D2000 and D5000 may be what you are looking for. Warm, punchy with very good bass extension that is not over powering. No Beats bloat here! Fairly easy to drive but like a lot of headphones they truly come to life with some power behind them. They are made by Foster – Fostex parent company. I own a pair of D2000’s and use them daily.

Whats your budget? What amp do you own (or plan on owning!)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:01 pm 

Quote:
Whats your budget? What amp do you own (or plan on owning!)

Not to be evasive, but the budget would depend on the headphones / value that I'm looking at. So a pair of HD-650 for $350 or a pair of SRH-840s for $125 would both be considered. I'm not a fan of Denon overall, having had bad experiences with reliability in the past with some of their product, but I haven't tried any of their headphones yet.

I went the higher-end dedicated HP amp route, and it just wasn't convenient enough, so I'm looking at something along the lines of the AQ Dragonfly 1.2 down the road, and the headphone output of my HP Pavilion laptop for now. I am actually surprised with the sound quality of this laptop using Foobar2000 and the Meier Crossfeed filter added and applied. I also downloaded the EQ plug-in and gently tweaked the sound of my Superlux HD-681EVOs, and the sound is really good for what it is.

Allen

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:50 pm 

My D2000 have taken a beating over the years and they are not showing any worse for wear. As mentioned they are made by Foster - guess you could call them a poor mans Fostex. I just recently picked up a Dragonfly and was quite surprised at how good it sounded with the Denon’s. In comparison to my Bryston HP amp, the little Dragonfly gives it a damn good run for the money. It does however run out of steam when paired with a more demanding HP like the Audeze’s which I also own.

I also own a pair of SHR-840’s. Not a bad HP’s for the price. Easy to drive and sound pretty good paired with the Dragonfly. But if you are looking for a warmer, fuller sounding HP these may not be for you.

Don’t have much experience with the HD-650 so can’t really comment on them.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:47 am 

a370lbgorilla wrote:
I have been looking to buy another pair of headphones, and about 15 years ago (give or take a year or two) I was in at The Sony Store in Sudbury and auditioned a pair of Sony phones that were around $400. I loved the sound (although a little bass-shy) and styling. I remember them being unique in the way the drivers were farther from the listener's head than normal and were suspended and very much an "open back" design.

I would like to find a pair of these used but don't know a model number. I know this isn't a lot to go on, but if anyone out there thinks they know the model and some info, please let me know.

Thanks,

Allen

-- 22 Nov 2013 13:07 --

Bump! Anyone?

I found what I believe to be the Sony headphones online I was looking for. They are the MDR-F1 and I've included a picture. If anyone has experience with this particular headphone, please let me know what you think.

Thanks.

Hello
I have buy MDR-F1 Sony headphones from Mighty Ape. They are really good.