Canuck Audio MartCanuck Audio Mart
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:41 am 

20+ year old AKG 240'S, still sounding good

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:59 am 

The ones I use the most are a smaller pair of PCX150 noise-cancelling Sennheisers, simply because most of my headphone listening is on airplanes. My favourite dynamic headphones are a pair of Sennheiser HD590 ... wonderful sound, and extremely comfortable. I also have a pair of quadraphonic Koss K2+2 that I am saving in case I ever get married again and find the need to block out every decibel of outside noise while clamping my head like a vice. Married guys, you have to try them.

For overall listening pleasure though, I have a few pairs of vintage Stax ... a pair of SRX-III and two SR-5 pairs. I love the SRM-1/MK-2 that I picked up used from Audio Eden, and I still have the original SRD-7 that came new with the SRX-IIIs. You simply cannot beat the sound of electrostatics ... although why someone would try and make a full-range speaker system out of them I will never understand. I also never feel the urge to call headphones "cans". "Headphones" is easy enough to say.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:22 am 

Bose QC-15..... Yikes....

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:31 am 

stuofsci02 wrote:

they look very comfortable...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:34 am 

wesworld1970 wrote:
stuofsci02 wrote:

they look very comfortable...

Actually, as Bose products go they are likely the best they make ... unless of course you want "magical" sound without all those pesky wires and complicated components.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:48 am 

Next up for me is probably a pair of custom IEM's for portable use. Likely these:

http://www.custom-iem.com/um-miracle-6- ... p-621.html

and/or a pair of

http://v-moda.com/true-blood-v-80/

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:00 am 

i'm looking for new buds for my iphone... my sennheisers don't work in it for some reason... i looked at the ones that came with it and it has three little sections on the 1/8" jack, so I don't think my sennheisers sit deep enough or something... its weird... never seen a 3 section 1/8" before.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:06 am 

wesworld1970 wrote:
i'm looking for new buds for my iphone... my sennheisers don't work in it for some reason... i looked at the ones that came with it and it has three little sections on the 1/8" jack, so I don't think my sennheisers sit deep enough or something... its weird... never seen a 3 section 1/8" before.

I don't know if the iPhone and iPod Touch use the same earphone (although maybe not), but I use Sennheiser ear buds and headphones in my Touch. I would expect that the additional "section" is for a microphone though, which the Touch doesn't need.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:08 am 

they work in the ipod just not the iphone... your prolly rite, i think they have a mic built in...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:18 am 

Koss Porta Pro's. Bought a pair of the KSC75's for my ski helmet(was intrigued that they made the headphone.com top 10 list) last year and I was very impressed/surprised by how good they sounded for next to nothing cost wise. I have had a pair of Etymotic ER4P's for a number of years and they are quite good but they are a bit hard to get them seated and they can fatigue the ear a bit so I figured I'd try a pair of the Porta Pro's for walking and such.

They are quite good, especially after putting some hours on them. I never listen to headphones at home(just turn the system down a bit) but for walking etc. they are brilliant for the cash and lifetime warranty is a perk as well.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:49 pm 

Weirdness wrote:
Koss Porta Pro's. Bought a pair of the KSC75's for my ski helmet(was intrigued that they made the headphone.com top 10 list) last year and I was very impressed/surprised by how good they sounded for next to nothing cost wise. I have had a pair of Etymotic ER4P's for a number of years and they are quite good but they are a bit hard to get them seated and they can fatigue the ear a bit so I figured I'd try a pair of the Porta Pro's for walking and such.

They are quite good, especially after putting some hours on them. I never listen to headphones at home(just turn the system down a bit) but for walking etc. they are brilliant for the cash and lifetime warranty is a perk as well.

Koss Porta Pros have always been one of the highest rated sports phones. Ikeep thinking I should get a pair. :lol:

-- 27 Jan 2012 18:51 --

glaucoma64 wrote:
20+ year old AKG 240'S, still sounding good

Heh. I still use a 30-year old pair of 240 sextets. They're a bit loose. Those little bands need replacing, but they still sound great. 8)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:06 pm 

Sennheiser HD650s. I don't use them often enough, but when I do I'm reminded of why I got into this hobby. If I could get my main system/room to sound even close, I'd have no need to keep coming to sites like this ;).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:26 pm 

Wow, people, you sure have a fascinating assortment of headphones. I am in the process of purchasing yet another set of headphones from a colleague, the AKG K701. According to Amazon.com they originally retailed for well over $500. I have yet to hear what the Harman Intl company has done to make these such pricey cans, but other than very high resistance and an extremely dynamic Hertz range, it should prove interesting.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:56 pm 

Shagarello wrote:
To be honest, I'm still confused as to why people use headphones...
This is not intended to be some sort of agressive shot at headphone users--I simply don't have any need or motivation to listen to music on headphones. I mean, I can understand why mixers/engineers/whatnot might use them; but why would the end user use them? I guess if you had to be quiet, you could; but whatever, I'd rather wait until I can just listen to my music under my own conditions.
Yeah, I know, I sound like a freakin' you-know-what....
Whatever.
Or maybe, I'm missing something I haven't yet experienced...

OK, EDIT: I own a pair of Sennheiser HD 320's. I bought them when A&B Sound was still around and well before I could've told you what the word 'audiophile' even meant. I bought them because I was, gasp, into making mixed tapes. Yes, I admit it. I was. But that only reinforces what I alluded to above--for someone mixing or editing, it makes sense; but how do you expect to recreate a sense of true listening when it sits directly on your ears?... (not necessarily a rhetorical question...)
Besides, I also equate headphones with hearing loss, although, obviously, that would have a lot to do with volume levels. And now, that just brings me back to the point i made earlier...

I use mine for late night listening. My listening room is down the hall from our bedroom. When i lived in an apartment in Abu Dhabi the only way to achieve concert levels without being evicted was with cans. I have also used them to adjust Azimuth on carts.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:43 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

OBI56 wrote:
GrantFidelity wrote:
Sennheizer HD540, on my 3rd set since the late 80's.

Cheers,
Ian

Ian, you gotta admit that my Stax sounded pretty sweet at last year's SSI! BTW, upgrading to a new, better pair in short order.

Yes they did sound amazing, I'm just so used to the 540s as my reference, only the 800s are better from Senn IMO, I'll always have the 540s, they are just right.

Cheers,
Ian

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next