Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:39 pm 

Hi

I'm looking for suggestions for IEMs to pair with my FiiO X5ii.

What I'm looking for:
- clean precise sound and not overly bassy: Blues, Folk, Male/Female singer-songwriters, R&B, Soul, Classic Rock
- balanced armature
- detachable cables
- 3.5mm TRRS connectors
- 10 to 150ohms
- inline controls (Apple CTIA standard)
- lots of ear bud options
- lower profile for comfortably laying down with IEMs in
- under $300

Thanks and take care,
Shayne

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:23 pm 

I can highly recommend the AKG N40, which are listed around $549 usually but just a touch over $300 on Amazon right now - https://amzn.to/2yX4wdf

Hits just about all of your categories, and honestly, the most comfortable IEMs I've tried. They have a pretty small profile and are the only in ears I've ever been able to wear for a couple hours straight without feeling itchy or uncomfortable. I had a more expensive pair at the same time and kept the AKGs. They have detachable MMCX with remote and mic, hybrid BA and DD, and are easy to drive, though I will say that having good source material is pretty important (FLAC or 320 mp3s sound good, on lower res streams you can hear the lack of quality). I use them pretty reqularly with an Onkyo DPX1A, and I have been really happy with the sound. They only come with 4 tips, but I'm guessing it's not hard to pick up some spinfit or comply tips if you needed.

I also really liked the Noble Savants, which are not too far off of the Massdrop x Noble X, both of which can be had for around $300. They actually sounded better for folk and gentle music than the AKGs (treble and mids were really nice), but I found that they weren't as comfortable as the AKG.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:29 am 

I can't say enough about the KZ products. Worth checking out at these prices. Unless you like throwing money away.
I have a pair (KZ ATE) and absolutely love them. I figured for the price if they did not perform the way I was expecting I would relegate them to my desk at work for music enjoyment...they never made it to work. I need to order another pair of KZ's for my desk.

https://kziems.aliexpress.com/store/1358152

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:46 pm 

Another +1 for the KZ ATE, i get you are looking for something more, but even as just a throw away pair they are nice to have.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:49 pm 

I'm using Shure 535's with my X5 iii and love it. Same tatse in music. I've seen the on here for around your price.